Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strano or UMI lowering springs

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 08:30 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Strano or UMI lowering springs

I'm trying to decide between Strano and UMI lowering springs. I really like the look of the UMI springs installed that UMI has on their website. I know people have good look with Strano springs as well. I drive my car in the summer only, I put on between 6-8K miles per year. I also plan to get into local scca events autocrossing, casually only, I don't plan on being competitive. Looking at running in the CAM-C class, and will probably hit 6-10 AutoX events per year.

Does anyone have any experience with the new UMI lowering springs? http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...oducts_id=1032

I really like the amount of drop of the UMI springs, but I can't find any reports how these springs run on the street and/or at autoX events.

I'm concerned about the Strano springs not dropping my car far enough, I know Strano has specced these springs for scca and the amount of drop is a secondary benefit. My car currently has a horrendous monster truck look that I need to eliminate.

I'm looking for opinions and personal experiences. I know both companies make excellent products for our cars.
The following users liked this post:
Robert Wilson III (07-17-2020)
Old 02-10-2017, 10:27 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You can also take a look at our springs as well. They offer 1.25" of drop and are available in 2 different spring rate combinations; 550 front/160 rear or 725 front 210 rear. here are some pics of cars with our springs installed for reference
Name:  5190887195_dc626ab6d3_z_zps7674c615.jpg
Views: 5705
Size:  170.5 KB

Name:  springs6_zpsff9f22c5.jpg
Views: 7886
Size:  218.4 KB

Name:  m_miller_zpsogj6jdtx.jpg
Views: 6073
Size:  81.7 KB

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 02-10-2017, 12:12 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sprinj76
I'm trying to decide between Strano and UMI lowering springs. I really like the look of the UMI springs installed that UMI has on their website. I know people have good look with Strano springs as well. I drive my car in the summer only, I put on between 6-8K miles per year. I also plan to get into local scca events autocrossing, casually only, I don't plan on being competitive. Looking at running in the CAM-C class, and will probably hit 6-10 AutoX events per year.

Does anyone have any experience with the new UMI lowering springs? http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...oducts_id=1032

I really like the amount of drop of the UMI springs, but I can't find any reports how these springs run on the street and/or at autoX events.

I'm concerned about the Strano springs not dropping my car far enough, I know Strano has specced these springs for scca and the amount of drop is a secondary benefit. My car currently has a horrendous monster truck look that I need to eliminate.

I'm looking for opinions and personal experiences. I know both companies make excellent products for our cars.
Thanks for including us your choices. Our springs are still some what newer and even though we have sold quite a few sets feedback is still limited. The winter months isn't helping that either.

Both springs are excellent springs with correct rates. As mentioned the UMI springs may go a tad bit lower, we liked that because it helps us and Strano offer different springs. Since we work together having different options allows us to help the customers more. For rates we picked a little higher based on what we run on our test 4th gen that is set up for road race and does a lot of autocross events. We didn't just reach up in the air and grab rates that sounded good, we actually used them based on testing. They are street friendly rates as well.

In closing, you would be happy with both springs. Both will ride very nice for you.

If we can help anymore please let us know.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:08 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

UMI can sell mine, and I can sell theirs too.

I know theirs are lower than mine are, which I think was the goal. There is a simple reason mine aren't that low. Suspensions need travel to work their best.

The next thing is simple folks get hung up on numbers. A LOT. I have stopped claiming any sort of drop because nobody can guarantee any exact amount. Too many variables from the starts. Cars sit at very different heights to start with. You stated yourself your car is like a monster truck. That's because it came with a much taller set of springs than cars before it. Nothing else is different. So, if you put my springs on your car, tall as it is, you might see a 2" drop. Same springs on an LT1 car might only be a 1" drop as those cars were lower stock from GM to begin with.

Then there is the way folks measure. If you measure from the ground, well, not everyone's tires are the same height. So person 1 might be a number of 26.5" where someone else gets 27" or 26.2". You can't account for that tire size measuring like that. The the variable of weight. Speaker boxes? Add weight, lowers the rear more than a car without. Drop weight on the nose? That end is higher than it would be with A/C and a stock k-member.

Form vs. Function. Now, if you look around this forum, and in the Appearance section, there are lots of photo's of cars my springs. Some with before and after shots too. Afters all look pretty much the same, which will let you know what the end result will be. If you happen to find a before/after of a car that is tall like yours, then you really get a sense of the change.

If you are wanting an exact ride height, then you should look into coil-over options.

As for rate differences. Pandora's box that involves how low you run the car. Lower means you need more rate to counter the fact you have less travel. And both those things mean bumps aren't quite as nice. Stiffer wheel rate means the wheel doesn't want to move up and over said thing as easily. Physics.

Again, I carry the UMI springs too, so if you want them I can supply them just as easily as mine.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
The following 2 users liked this post by Sam Strano:
d-mob (09-15-2023), Robert Wilson III (07-17-2020)
Old 02-12-2017, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the BMR springs. I got exactly 1.25" drop at all 4 corners.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:00 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have UMI's newly released lowering springs sitting in my room.Just waiting for some warm weather to throw them on...
Old 02-14-2017, 12:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Toronto LT1
I have UMI's newly released lowering springs sitting in my room.Just waiting for some warm weather to throw them on...
Once May/June rolls around you should let me know what you think of the UMI springs. I would love to hear a review on them.

I'm going with the Strano springs, I want to get into SCCA stuff, that is what Sam specializes in. Sam I'll be sending you a PM!
Old 02-17-2017, 12:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just remember shocks are key to making your spring purchase successful
Old 02-20-2017, 07:09 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dojob
Just remember shocks are key to making your spring purchase successful
I couldn't agree more! I will be using the Koni STR.T shocks with the Strano springs.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:38 PM
Teching In

Very happy how the car turned out. Pretty sure the front of the car dropped ~1.25" not sure how much the rear dropped.

Sorry for the horrible cell phone pics.

Before:
Strano or UMI lowering springs-ofiwm6cl.jpg

After:
Strano or UMI lowering springs-tzlvedpl.jpg

New parts installed: strano springs, koni str.t shocks, umi adjustable roto/roto lca's, founders lca relocation brackets, founders poly/rod adjustable panhard rod. Now I'm just waiting on Strano front/rear swaybars that are back ordered for one to two weeks.
Steven503 (02-05-2021)
Old 11-19-2017, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Any update on how this thing rides?

I also have a Z28. I already have umi upper arms, lower moog bushings front and rear, and ball joints waiting to go on. Now Im just left with trying to decide on shocks and springs or sway bars.

I have a metal knocking sound and feel it through the body front and rear on dips and potholes at highway speeds. Both upper and lower uppers have major play.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Dark_Side
Any update on how this thing rides?

I also have a Z28. I already have umi upper arms, lower moog bushings front and rear, and ball joints waiting to go on. Now Im just left with trying to decide on shocks and springs or sway bars.

I have a metal knocking sound and feel it through the body front and rear on dips and potholes at highway speeds. Both upper and lower uppers have major play.
The ride is firmer than before, noticeably so. I also put on 17" rims with a thinner side wall and summer only tires which are firmer than the all-seasons the car came with. The tires and new wheels also contributed to making the ride more harsh. The ride doesn't bother me since that is what I was expecting, but if you're extremely sensitive to bumps in the road and noises I'd be cautious putting lowering springs on.

I put on 5-6K miles per year (spring-fall), driving to and from work, around town, and at autoX. I got in 2-3 autoX events this summer and I was very pleased with this setup. I ended up with the UMI sway bars since Strano was back-ordered; no regrets there.

Strano or UMI lowering springs-s57wzr1.jpg

Strano or UMI lowering springs-86u1w5i.jpg
Old 11-24-2017, 06:54 AM
On The Tree

Yeah, I'm already running 18x9.5 spyder wheels which have a 35 sidewall. I think I am going to get the umi springs, str.t shocks and then strano sway bars. Should transform this Z28 into a new car almost.

Harsh ride won't bother me. I have 2 kids that ride in the back half the time, so I think the slightly stiffer umi springs will help there. Plus it's grocery getter too.

Your z28 looks great man! l like clean and simple.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I run Koni STR.T's with BMR springs, and for the money it's unbeatable IMO
Old 11-24-2017, 11:13 PM
On The Tree

So I ordered Strano springs, koni str.t shocks and new rubber bump stops. He has the cheapest price for the koni's
Old 11-25-2017, 12:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dark that is the same setup as I am running, I am happy with the results.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:04 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by topless2002SS
Dark that is the same setup as I am running, I am happy with the results.
Awesome to hear! It's definitely a popular setup. Wish I had more money for the sway bars too but it will be nice to feel the difference of just shocks and springs then bars later.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
You can also take a look at our springs as well. They offer 1.25" of drop and are available in 2 different spring rate combinations; 550 front/160 rear or 725 front 210 rear. here are some pics of cars with our springs installed for reference

Attachment 589996
thats me. I dont have bmr springs.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brewster240
thats me. I dont have bmr springs.
At this, I can only LOL so hard
Old 09-25-2018, 10:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by TheNutDriver
At this, I can only LOL so hard
Out of the office, but checking in from the road. That. Was. Awesome.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: Strano or UMI lowering springs