Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Stock SS wheels. Best brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018 | 08:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Boosted53F
I am giving the z51 setup a try here shortly. If I am comfortable with the fitment on stock ss wheels, then I will start a new thread with pics and a parts list. Not totally sure on barrel clearance. I got a steal on brand new loaded calipers so I couldn't help myself. The XTS j55 code calipers = z51 c7 corvette caliper.

Note*** The corvette guys are claiming warping issues with the 2piece cast Rassini rotors under heavy track load. GM has corrected the issue in 2016 with 1 piece rotors but I have yet to see them available from suppliers.
I really don't think stock 17" wheels will fit over those, but please report back with what you find!

I believe those calipers are the same as used on my Buick Regal GS, and 18" is as small of a wheel as will clear. And even then it depends on the 18 / wheel design.
Old 03-30-2018 | 08:52 AM
On The Tree

Also as a heads up to anyone else piecing together what they need for the ATS / JL9 brake swap - I believe you're going to need proper "custom" brake hoses. I know Boosted said he reused his stock rubber lines, but now that I have everything fitted I don't see how the stock lines will reach at full steering lock. They are a tight fit with the wheels straight, and very tight at full lock.

I'm not saying the stock lines can't work, but I'm going to play it safe and order some new ones from Flynbye. They sell the lines specifically for the 4-piston CTS or ATS calipers swapped onto an F-Body for I think $80, which have the correct fittings and banjo bolts, and correct length.
Old 03-30-2018 | 11:05 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sssalah
The C7 Z51 caliper fits stock SS wheels. Didn't measure the closest point between the caliper and the wheel barrel but it is a tight fit maybe 2mm on the top and bottom of the caliper, the side has more clearance more than 5mm.

Mockup in the photos is with LS1 rotors since I'm still waiting for the stoptech rotors which seem to be on back order.

on page 3 this individual fitted the z51 rotors up and i think it went right past some people. Ive been wanting to try this for some time. I was happy to see the XTS j55 calipers are the same part. What year is your regal gs?? Does it use a 345mm rotor or another size?

*** Handyandy found a custom hydraulic line for the brembo swap. I will purchase a set of factory cadillac hoses and see how they fit. The 90 angle on the stock fbody hoses where they attach to the factory caliper seems to be the hangup. The fitting angle on the cadillac hoses may be the fix.
Old 03-30-2018 | 11:48 AM
On The Tree

on page 3 this individual fitted the z51 rotors up and i think it went right past some people. Ive been wanting to try this for some time. I was happy to see the XTS j55 calipers are the same part. What year is your regal gs?? Does it use a 345mm rotor or another size?

*** Handyandy found a custom hydraulic line for the brembo swap. I will purchase a set of factory cadillac hoses and see how they fit. The 90 angle on the stock fbody hoses where they attach to the factory caliper seems to be the hangup. The fitting angle on the cadillac hoses may be the fix.
My 2012 Regal GS has the 355mm / 14" rotors. I just checked and my 19" winter rims have a little under 1" barrel clearance to the Brembos. I know some people have fit some 18" over them, but depends on the wheel.

As for the hoses, I believe the Cadillac hoses have a different fitting on the body side of the hose than the F-Body. That's why everyone with the CTS-V swaps uses the custom lines. You need something made with the F-Body size fitting to the hard line but the Brembo fitting on the caliper end. I can't say this for sure because I've never bought one to compare, but at this point I'd rather just buy the hoses I know will work and eliminate the trial and error.
Old 03-30-2018 | 05:10 PM
Staging Lane
10 Year Member

How would the larger Z51/JL9 (they're essentially the same, right?) setup compare to the gen 2 CTS-V Brembos? I was all set to order the V parts until I came across this thread.
Old 03-30-2018 | 05:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by dlabooda
How would the larger Z51/JL9 (they're essentially the same, right?) setup compare to the gen 2 CTS-V Brembos? I was all set to order the V parts until I came across this thread.
The c7 z51 is the 345mm package. The jl9 is the base 320mm package.

The caddy ats came with the smaller c7 jl9 brembo calipers, however some j55 package caddys and other gm models come with the c7 z51 brembo calipers.

pricing i bet is similar. Id like to see a weight comparison between the z51 calipers and rotors to the 5th gen ss setup. The z51 2piece cast rotors are pretty light. I think they use some composite cast technology. Again, the vette guys have some complaints about the z51 rotors warping during heavy track use. There should be a 1piece replacement rotor available from suppliers in short time.

Just to make things clear, none of these brembo options are comparable to legitimate race car brakes and aftermarket monobloc kits, but for the price and ability to set up for high performance events.... win. They are obviously generations better than fbody brakes and suits the needs OP and thread itself. Do they fit stock 17” wheels...

Last edited by Boosted53F; 03-30-2018 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-30-2018 | 06:20 PM
Staging Lane
10 Year Member

The c7 z51 is the 345mm package. The jl9 is the base 320mm package.

The caddy ats came with the smaller c7 jl9 brembo calipers, however some j55 package caddys and other gm models come with the c7 z51 brembo calipers.

pricing i bet is similar. Id like to see a weight comparison between the z51 calipers and rotors to the 5th gen ss setup. The z51 2piece cast rotors are pretty light. I think they use some composite cast technology. Again, the vette guys have some complaints about the z51 rotors warping during heavy track use. There should be a 1piece replacement rotor available from suppliers in short time.

Just to make things clear, none of these brembo options are comparable to legitimate race car brakes and aftermarket monobloc kits, but for the price and ability to set up for high performance events.... win. They are obviously generations better than fbody brakes and suits the needs OP and thread itself. Do they fit stock 17” wheels...
I misspoke. I meant the J9G brakes. The Z51/J9G calipers are about $100 less each and the rotors are about 1" less in diameter compared to the V2 brakes. I'm curious how differently the two setups would perform. Are the piston diameters for the newer Brembos posted anywhere?
Old 03-30-2018 | 06:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by dlabooda
I misspoke. I meant the J9G brakes. The Z51/J9G calipers are about $100 less each and the rotors are about 1" less in diameter compared to the V2 brakes. I'm curious how differently the two setups would perform. Are the piston diameters for the newer Brembos posted anywhere?
i have never tried the 6piston gen2 v brakes and wouldnt consider switching to 18” wheels. I do know that brake proportioning is something to watch out for on the 6piston setups. I forget what the combined pist area is to compare.
Old 04-03-2018 | 11:59 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by handyandy

I'm not saying the stock lines can't work, but I'm going to play it safe and order some new ones from Flynbye. They sell the lines specifically for the 4-piston CTS or ATS calipers swapped onto an F-Body for I think $80, which have the correct fittings and banjo bolts, and correct length.
Thanks for the heads up! I thought the CTS used a different size fitting and needed an adapter? I'd like to play it safe as well, but I also want to make sure I don't mess up what I purchase. I have stoptech stainless lines waiting, I'm going to have to look and see if they're a little longer.
Old 04-04-2018 | 08:36 AM
On The Tree

I test fitted my OEM WS6 Sportlines over the ATS Brembos last night, and I'm going to need a larger spacer/adapter than I expected. I used roughly 2.5mm thick flat washers to dry fit the wheels to see what size spacer/adapter I needed, and I started out at 5mm (since someone earlier in the thread used that amount with Camaro OEM rims). The 5mm was nowhere near enough, and I ended up stacking up to about 15mm (was closer to 14mm since washers weren't exactly 2.5mm each) before it seemed like I had any clearance to the spokes of the wheel.

Basically it seems like the WS6 Sportlines have a very 'flat' spoke design, so they need more spacer to get clearance. I'm looking at some 15mm bolt-on style adapters, but I'm going to confirm that's what I need with another trial before I order anything.
Old 04-04-2018 | 02:34 PM
9 Second Club

So what brakes lines are going to be needed for this then?
Old 04-04-2018 | 03:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ls2 bait
So what brakes lines are going to be needed for this then?
There's probably more than one right answer to this. Boosted53 said he's using the stock F-body hoses, but I thought they looked a little short when I did mock up. I ordered Flynbye's 4 piston CTSV F-Body hoses, but I haven't received them yet, so I can't comment on how they fit yet.

Since all of the GM Brembos are so similar I would guess whatever the CTS-V swap people are using would work here as well.
Old 04-04-2018 | 10:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast
10 Year Member

ive been reading this thread front and back. im ready to do the swap, just having trouble finding base c7 rotors with slots(to match my rear rotors) anyone have any leads to this ??
Old 04-05-2018 | 02:13 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Cajun ELESS-ONE
ive been reading this thread front and back. im ready to do the swap, just having trouble finding base c7 rotors with slots(to match my rear rotors) anyone have any leads to this ??
I couldn't find an exact match for my rear rotors, so I ended up buying a full set of Brakenetic slotted rotors. They look real sharp. They're not installed on my car due to being 7k miles away lol.
Old 04-05-2018 | 12:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by BeatonZ06
I couldn't find an exact match for my rear rotors, so I ended up buying a full set of Brakenetic slotted rotors. They look real sharp. They're not installed on my car due to being 7k miles away lol.
Can you supply a like?? I've googled this for hours last night. Reading the specs, all the ones I found were for the larger z51 rotors. I might just have to deal with blanks in the front and slotted in the rear.
Old 04-05-2018 | 03:45 PM
Staging Lane

Can you supply a like?? I've googled this for hours last night. Reading the specs, all the ones I found were for the larger z51 rotors. I might just have to deal with blanks in the front and slotted in the rear.

It may be more cost effective to go blank front and rear. Highly debatable whether or not slotting improves brake quality or quantity. Are you racing the car by chance?
Old 04-05-2018 | 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast
10 Year Member

It may be more cost effective to go blank front and rear. Highly debatable whether or not slotting improves brake quality or quantity. Are you racing the car by chance?
Wont be racing the car. The rear rotors are only 2 months old. It would bother me to have blank rotors in the front and slotted in the rear. Buying another new set of rear rotors seems like a waste of money since the ones in the rear are practically new.
Old 04-05-2018 | 05:40 PM
TECH Addict
15 Year Member

Have you tried:

2014 Stingray base c7 JL9 rotors to match calipers with part number 1722586/87:
https://knsbrakes.com/c/car-items/18...5_Brake+Rotors

5th gen camaro rotors to match the bigger CTS-V calipers part number 1722287/88:
https://knsbrakes.com/c/car-items/10...5_Brake+Rotors

2014 Stingray ZL1 rotors:
https://knsbrakes.com/c/car-items/18...5_Brake+Rotors

If anyone needs some 245/45/17 tires with 9/32 tread to get the most out of their new brake setups, I have some for sale in the classifieds.
Old 04-06-2018 | 06:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast
10 Year Member

yes!!! thats what im looking for. thanks!!!
Old 04-06-2018 | 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast
10 Year Member

one more question about brake lines. i read that the stock ls1 lines will work. did anyone confirm what other ones work? the c5/c6 caliper conversion lines? ctsv lines? stock c5 lines?

Quick Reply: Stock SS wheels. Best brakes?