Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What torque arm and sway bar for twisties? Tire size?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 09:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What torque arm and sway bar for twisties? Tire size?

02 camaro, 1000whp with 9" rear, adjustable panhard bar, single rod end adjustable lower control arms, adjustable lower a arms, koni str.t shocks and strano lowering springs, 3 point subframe connectors, trick chassis anti roll bar (not a sway bar), and a tunnel mounted torque arm. 285/40/18 tires in the rear, 245/40/18 in the front.

This was originally setup for straightaways so I know some stuff prolly needs changed. Haven't ever taken serious corners with it so want some info first. I know I asked about tires in the suspension section but was hoping to get it covered without making a separate thread.

I have some family out west with motorcycles that do a bunch of racing and riding in the mountains/ canyons and i'm hoping to be able to keep up with them.

My biggest concerns are the torque arm and ARB. If anything else should be changed for better handling though please let me know!

Anyways, how will a full drag arb work for handling etc on curves? If bad.. then what sway bar would you suggest? (Rear and front since front is still stock)
Will a tunnel torque arm still be alright? Noise doesn't concern me. I just don't know the handling differences between full length and tunnel style.

Also. What tire sizes would be best? Originally I planned on switching to 335 rears, 285 fronts, but was told keeping my tire sizes square was best. So maybe 285s all around? I have to stay with 18s cause my front brakes won't allow 17s, and I think having smaller rims in the rear would look dumb lol.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Nyvark627
02 camaro, 1000whp with 9" rear, adjustable panhard bar, single rod end adjustable lower control arms, adjustable lower a arms, koni str.t shocks and strano lowering springs, 3 point subframe connectors, trick chassis anti roll bar (not a sway bar), and a tunnel mounted torque arm. 285/40/18 tires in the rear, 245/40/18 in the front.

This was originally setup for straightaways so I know some stuff prolly needs changed. Haven't ever taken serious corners with it so want some info first. I know I asked about tires in the suspension section but was hoping to get it covered without making a separate thread.

I have some family out west with motorcycles that do a bunch of racing and riding in the mountains/ canyons and i'm hoping to be able to keep up with them.

My biggest concerns are the torque arm and ARB. If anything else should be changed for better handling though please let me know!

Anyways, how will a full drag arb work for handling etc on curves? If bad.. then what sway bar would you suggest? (Rear and front since front is still stock)
Will a tunnel torque arm still be alright? Noise doesn't concern me. I just don't know the handling differences between full length and tunnel style.

Also. What tire sizes would be best? Originally I planned on switching to 335 rears, 285 fronts, but was told keeping my tire sizes square was best. So maybe 285s all around? I have to stay with 18s cause my front brakes won't allow 17s, and I think having smaller rims in the rear would look dumb lol.
An oversized drag bar in the rear is going to have the car heavily oversteer and or snap oversteer with no warning. If you want to keep the stock front swaybar then the stock rear bar is the only option for balanced handling, otherwise a 35mm front bar would be ideal and a 22mm or 21mm rear bar would balance with it for neutral handling (not biased toward understeer or oversteer).
Your torque arm can cause brake hop under hard braking, so you can switch out to a full length one if you want, but with 1000rwhp you probably want to get a relocation crossmember to mount it to the chassis.
For tires you can run 315s on all four corners, the front actually has more room than the rear for width.
Also would help to trade up the STR.Ts for some koni sports.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I wouldn't worry about your torque arm, just make sure your pinion angle is right.

Sway bars are crucial to how a car feels in the corners. I'm very happy with Strano's 35/22 setup. Running a square setup will make the car very neutral and easy to control. With 1000+hp you will need the car to be as predictable as possible.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:24 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
An oversized drag bar in the rear is going to have the car heavily oversteer and or snap oversteer with no warning. If you want to keep the stock front swaybar then the stock rear bar is the only option for balanced handling, otherwise a 35mm front bar would be ideal and a 22mm or 21mm rear bar would balance with it for neutral handling (not biased toward understeer or oversteer).
Your torque arm can cause brake hop under hard braking, so you can switch out to a full length one if you want, but with 1000rwhp you probably want to get a relocation crossmember to mount it to the chassis.
For tires you can run 315s on all four corners, the front actually has more room than the rear for width.
Also would help to trade up the STR.Ts for some koni sports.
thank you, I actually already have koni sports, not why I put str.ts... good to know about the sway bar though. Do you have any recommended brand for this?

also, is wider always better for these cars? if 315 all around is best then i'll go for it, just want to make sure there's not a downside to going too wide.

Last edited by Nyvark627; 03-26-2017 at 12:30 AM.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Nyvark627
thank you, I actually already have koni sports, not why I put str.ts... good to know about the sway bar though. Do you have any recommended brand for this?

also, is wider always better for these cars? if 315 all around is best then i'll go for it, just want to make sure there's not a downside to going too wide.
Ah, thats good, don't be afraid to play with the adjustments to see what you like best, they make a big difference.
Stranoparts and UMI both carry those size swaybars, Strano is hollow and lighter and UMI is solid and heavier, so take your pick.
As for the tires the only downside I can think of with running 315s in the front would be possibly increase trammeling. Otherwise this is what all the successful auto-x guys use for sizes, 275 or 285 like what you were planning is stock width and definitely too narrow.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:12 PM
Teching In

Ah, thats good, don't be afraid to play with the adjustments to see what you like best, they make a big difference.
Stranoparts and UMI both carry those size swaybars, Strano is hollow and lighter and UMI is solid and heavier, so take your pick.
As for the tires the only downside I can think of with running 315s in the front would be possibly increase trammeling. Otherwise this is what all the successful auto-x guys use for sizes, 275 or 285 like what you were planning is stock width and definitely too narrow.
Well, 315s it is! Now i've gotten mixed opinions on this. But what's the best rim size you think a 315 should be put on? Would a 10.5 work or do you think 11 is required?
Old 03-26-2017, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Shiiiit you'll never keep up with your motorcycle friends in the twisies with a car. I just sold my bikes and bought this Camaro,we use to ride every sunday in the mountains for the last 30 yrs. I've been to the mountains a few times with this car....its fun and your *** doesnt hurt after 200 miles. I'll be interested to see what you do to the car.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ToeRacing
Shiiiit you'll never keep up with your motorcycle friends in the twisies with a car. I just sold my bikes and bought this Camaro,we use to ride every sunday in the mountains for the last 30 yrs. I've been to the mountains a few times with this car....its fun and your *** doesnt hurt after 200 miles. I'll be interested to see what you do to the car.
x2

we may never hear back from him lol
Old 03-27-2017, 10:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm happy with my Strano springs and hollow sway bars he offers. Car is very predictable in turns. even when it gets sideways the car is always controllable. The car out performs the tires.

I think that will be your biggest challenge with the power your making, getting tires to hold power around turns. I'm pushing 1/3 of your hp so it's a little different for me and my experience.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

As for the tires the only downside I can think of with running 315s in the front would be possibly increase trammeling. Otherwise this is what all the successful auto-x guys use for sizes
Nationals was won on 335s

Quick Reply: What torque arm and sway bar for twisties? Tire size?