Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Stock Spring for 2001 Trans Am WS6

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Spring for 2001 Trans Am WS6

So I have a 2001 Trans Am WS6 Convertible.. I replaced the rear shocks and springs because it was sitting low on the drivers side. Only stock spring I could find was a MOOG variable rate. Car sits ok but it certainly doesn't handle like it used to. Biggest issue I have is I'd like to replace the springs with something good all the way around but I do not want to lower the car any more than it is. I have enough trouble getting over speed bumps in this area without dropping it any more.
Any suggestion on what is available that will maintain stock ride height but at least give me factory stiffness?
Old 05-30-2017, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just posted here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...nt-spring.html

being the WS6 model (like my SS) that may have had the bilstein suspension upgrade from SLP when the car was built. So that's a bit of a different discussion... I think Eibach made those springs.

but for the regular Firebird/Camaro the replacements are these:

rears 518 lb, 15.3" free height, 10.3" installed height, variable spring rate 104 lbs/inch:
Moog CC635 or ACDELCO 45H3025

front for base Z28/firebird 1436 lbs, 14.9" free height, constant spring rate 290 lbs/inch:
Moog 60114
ACDELCO 45H0232

front for SS/WS6 1536 lbs, 15.3" free height, constant spring rate 290 lbs/inch
Moog 60116

I have a 2002 ss and replaced the sagging rear springs (level-1 bilstein) couple years ago with moog cc635. I also replaced my rear axle with a strange s60, but i am mostly in same boat as you I can't lower the car either... about to do new front springs with koni yellow shocks.

the bilstein upgrade on the WS6 and/or SS i don't know if they were the same parts,
but on the ss the fronts were a progressive spring rate not a constant rate,
from http://www.angelfire.com/my/fastcar/suspension.html
they were listed as 223 lbs/inch to 448 lbs/inch, and was likely the reason it had been said they provided a better/softer ride in general to stock but didn't sacrifice performance. but from reports 10+ years later it seems these specific springs sag and go bad.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by T.C. Waltz
So I have a 2001 Trans Am WS6 Convertible.. I replaced the rear shocks and springs because it was sitting low on the drivers side. Only stock spring I could find was a MOOG variable rate. Car sits ok but it certainly doesn't handle like it used to. Biggest issue I have is I'd like to replace the springs with something good all the way around but I do not want to lower the car any more than it is. I have enough trouble getting over speed bumps in this area without dropping it any more.
Any suggestion on what is available that will maintain stock ride height but at least give me factory stiffness?
You replaced the shocks and springs at the same time right? What shocks did you use? Some autozone monroe junk?
Old 05-30-2017, 05:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want a higher spring rate but not any lower, go with a performance spring and add a rubber spacer, under the factory rubber seat on rear, and above factory rubber seat on front.
Old 12-31-2019, 01:22 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stp001
If you want a higher spring rate but not any lower, go with a performance spring and add a rubber spacer, under the factory rubber seat on rear, and above factory rubber seat on front.
would this raise the car height any?
Old 12-31-2019, 01:29 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the info, I am thinking about changing my front bmr springs to these because of scraping and i already broke my exhaust once. Does anyone see any issue with keeping the bmr lowering springs on the rear in place? If I change those, I will need some taller sidewall tires for the rear.

Quick Reply: Stock Spring for 2001 Trans Am WS6