Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Mountain/Momentum Driving and F-bodies

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 12:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

I can take care of all of this. Really, and I can tell you want I would and wouldn't do based on your wants and your budget too.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 07-25-2017, 07:46 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dojob
Instead of those poly bushings just do the Moog bushings on them, they're firmer than OEM bushings and won't make the noise of the poly. Essentially poly is more hassle than it's ever worth
Alright was kind of wondering that myself, but most everyone said poly everywhere except the rear LCA and then that vertical mount on the front LCA.

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I can take care of all of this. Really, and I can tell you want I would and wouldn't do based on your wants and your budget too.
I know, was just trying to sort things in my head and most of the old posts you've commented in so it just seemed silly to ask you something you'd already answered for someone else three or four times. I need to get around to subjecting myself to torture and get underneath the car to see what needs replaced or what has been replaced, the previous owner replaced a lot of wear items over time so it wouldn't make sense to replace something that's been replaced and is still ok. If I'm feeling up to it I'll do it this weekend and go over all the bushings, ball joints, mounts, etc...
Old 07-31-2017, 07:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW...
Sam has helped me for at least 15 years, I've been a loyal customer, his advice is sound and when I hit the canyons virtually nothing can keep up with me. Bring on the sTi's and M5's & M6's and Evo's, either I'll be on their *** waiting for them to get a clue that they're too slow or I find a place to pass them and never see them in my rearview mirror.
I love my car. It shocks the **** out of most drivers and I'm here in southern Cal where there supercars all over the place.
Granted, I'm not as fast as them but stick us in the twisties and they won't be able to get away from me, that's how strongly I feel about my SS.
it's got 118k miles on it and engine is still running as strong as a 338rwhp 3600 pound car can be driven with my upgrades.
get great shocks, 35mm front/22rear swaybars, stickier tires, more aggressive brake pads, get some better brake fluid, you're ready to rock.
truly, you will ROCK with just those upgrades...well, your car will ROCK, I have no idea how good of a driver you are, only you know that.
Enjoy!
Old 07-31-2017, 11:18 PM
Launching!

I think a lot of it is just getting used to a car that's bigger in addition to the solid axle, even now after getting accustomed there'll be times the car just feels big to me. Also thankfully it has flip up lights since I can use those as markers for placing the front of the car I otherwise can't see any of. Which I'm like 5'8" so maybe for taller people it's not an issue, but I can't see anything beyond the edge of the dash unless the lights are up and I'm seated how racing instructors suggest so it's not from me leaning too far back.

I'm actually trying to get shocks done for it now, was wanting to do springs at the same time to save work but I think shocks will offer a good improvement by themselves. I put on BFG Sport COMP-2 last year and that alone was a huge improvement, also switched out the brake and clutch fluid for Castrol DOT 4 and that helped some there. I was thinking about doing a C5 front brake conversion, but perhaps the stock setup with high carbon blanks and good pads would be fine since I try to use the brakes as little as possible anyway and I haven't had any issues so far.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:56 PM
TECH Resident

do not go cheap on the shocks! Talk to Sam Strano, he'll get you straightened out and you'll be enjoying your car a LOT more.
I got 600# front/200# rear springs, and Koni DA's in the fronts which Koni does not sell any longer, they're set @+6 out of 9 for the fronts. The rears are Koni SA's with +2 and the ride is nice for me and VERY responsive.
I ******* LOVE my setup.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:34 PM
Launching!

I was looking into the KONI shocks, though the non adjustable STR.T since they're more budget friendly. I notice you have Ground Control coil-overs, I had thought about them since then I could set the height where I want it. More than anything to set the car level, I don't care for the raked look from the factory.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any lowering spring can be raised as much as you want to achieve the stance you want. Set the springs to the lowest and use spacers to raise the end you want higher.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:54 AM
Launching!

That's true, plus I've yet to do the "hose mod" for the rear so there's some room there for adjustment if need be. I just can't stand the raked look, at least not on these cars. Which I have tiny lady hands, but my three middle fingers fit between the tire and wheel opening on the front whereas my entire hand(like you'd measure a horse) fits between the tire and wheel opening on the rear.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Boxxx
I was looking into the KONI shocks, though the non adjustable STR.T since they're more budget friendly. I notice you have Ground Control coil-overs, I had thought about them since then I could set the height where I want it. More than anything to set the car level, I don't care for the raked look from the factory.
Since your ultimate goal is handling then I would not cheap out on shocks. Get the koni sports and be done with it, you will not regret it. I personally don't think the STR.Ts will be enough to satisfy you since you seem to have pretty high standards and are already contemplating selling the car.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:51 AM
Launching!

I thought the STR.T were supposed to be good though? For what the Sport costs over the STR.T in addition to the Strano springs you're just that much more to the UMI/Strano coil-overs though. As far as having high standards you're probably right, since I'm constantly called "the pickiest car enthusiast I've ever seen" and often get told I can find fault in any car.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talk to Sam. He can better explain why the SRT.T may not be good enough for what you want.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Call Sam NOW because there is or was some rebate going on or a sale.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Viper
Talk to Sam. He can better explain why the SRT.T may not be good enough for what you want.
This.

Sam will tell you the difference between the SRT.T's and the Single Adjustables, they are a step above the SRT.T's, and you stated earlier that you want your car to handle great...so you're going to compromise on the shocks???

there have been many folks come here and say they want a GREAT handling car but are on a budget.

I was that way with my first 4th-gen, it was a 93, I TOTALLY ignored Sam's suggestions and went with the "opinions" based on this website, I went for the Bilstein shocks and Eibach lowering springs and 35/25 front/rear swaybars.

so I compromised.

Guess what I ended up having?

a "compromised" ride.

the car had MAJOR understeer, even though the wheels/tires were the same all around, rear kept fishtailing, car was VERY difficult with turning in, basically it was a scary car to go into the twisties quickly.

I sold that car and got my 01SS, the rest is history.

so you want to hang with the sTi's and Evo's and the MR2's or whatever but you want "better than average shocks" as opposed to "great" shocks.

you can't have a great handler if you're not willing to spend the money on great suspension.

Maybe if you're Michael Schumacher you can jump into a compromised suspension and make it win, but I'm taking a risk here and I am assuming you're not as good as he is, so you will have to compensate your driving skills with a vehicle that has great handling characteristics.

All this is my opinion.

You want a great handling car, you have said this quite a few times, yet you want a pretty good shock as opposed to a MUCH more effective shock that has rebound adjustability while the SRT.T has no adjustability whatsoever.

in the long run, you'll be crazy happy with the single adjustable Koni's as opposed to the SRT.T's.

Talk to Sam.

PLEASE.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:15 PM
TECH Resident

Did you know that Sam has won the SCCA national autocross champinships numerous times with a 4th gen Camaro???

He also has designed his swaybars and springs with Koni's at first, and now he's upped his game and is now offering the AFCO shocks and spring setup and it's working on the track, you've seen his video.
Call the guy!
Old 08-02-2017, 01:21 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I thought the STR.T were supposed to be good though? For what the Sport costs over the STR.T in addition to the Strano springs you're just that much more to the UMI/Strano coil-overs though. As far as having high standards you're probably right, since I'm constantly called "the pickiest car enthusiast I've ever seen" and often get told I can find fault in any car.
Good is relative, like most things. They are good for their price, but they aren't in any way Sports. They were simply to plug a hole they had in their product line at the low end of the market.

I have some STR.T's on various cars, I have used them a few times. They aren't at all bad when new, but over time they do give up a little of what I want Koni's for. Still far better than a KYB or a Monroe though.

It's largely a get what you pay for world. True of most everything out there.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 08-02-2017, 01:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Viper
It is simple. They aren't adjustable for and lack rebound damping for those folks who are "drivers".

I can only think of one guy over all these years that had Sports and opted to run them full soft. Anyone with them can run them where they like them best, and where folks tend to like them best is a setting that is more rebound than the STR.T's have to offer, even when new and certainly as they age.

STR.T's are good for folks who want a competent suspension, need shocks that aren't just overwhelmed by things, but are best left to folks who maybe drive fast in a straight line, or maybe zip around a corner here or there kind of quickly. The more you demand of the car, the more the Sports come into the picture.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Carlos01SS
This.

Sam will tell you the difference between the SRT.T's and the Single Adjustables, they are a step above the SRT.T's, and you stated earlier that you want your car to handle great...so you're going to compromise on the shocks???

there have been many folks come here and say they want a GREAT handling car but are on a budget.

I was that way with my first 4th-gen, it was a 93, I TOTALLY ignored Sam's suggestions and went with the "opinions" based on this website, I went for the Bilstein shocks and Eibach lowering springs and 35/25 front/rear swaybars.

so I compromised.

Guess what I ended up having?

a "compromised" ride.

the car had MAJOR understeer, even though the wheels/tires were the same all around, rear kept fishtailing, car was VERY difficult with turning in, basically it was a scary car to go into the twisties quickly.

I sold that car and got my 01SS, the rest is history.

so you want to hang with the sTi's and Evo's and the MR2's or whatever but you want "better than average shocks" as opposed to "great" shocks.

you can't have a great handler if you're not willing to spend the money on great suspension.

Maybe if you're Michael Schumacher you can jump into a compromised suspension and make it win, but I'm taking a risk here and I am assuming you're not as good as he is, so you will have to compensate your driving skills with a vehicle that has great handling characteristics.

All this is my opinion.

You want a great handling car, you have said this quite a few times, yet you want a pretty good shock as opposed to a MUCH more effective shock that has rebound adjustability while the SRT.T has no adjustability whatsoever.

in the long run, you'll be crazy happy with the single adjustable Koni's as opposed to the SRT.T's.

Talk to Sam.

PLEASE.
It's not a matter of want so much is it a matter of what I can afford. Honestly knowing what I know now I should've never bought it because I can't afford the suspension needed to get it where I want it, at least not at this time. Though in my defense I'm used to cars where $1,200 will get you fully adjustable coil-overs and sway bars and then you're done for the most part. So I should probably just sell it and get something more congruent to my economy car budget.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It's not a matter of want so much is it a matter of what I can afford. Honestly knowing what I know now I should've never bought it because I can't afford the suspension needed to get it where I want it, at least not at this time. Though in my defense I'm used to cars where $1,200 will get you fully adjustable coil-overs and sway bars and then you're done for the most part. So I should probably just sell it and get something more congruent to my economy car budget.
Um did you actually bother pricing anything out?
Koni 4/3 + strano springs = $1079
Strano 35mm front bar (since you already have a larger rear bar): $200
That is $1279, how is that any different?
And if you don't want lowering springs just take ~$250 out of the equation.
So why can't you spend $1200 on the trans am to vastly improve handling but you can on another car that I bet wouldn't have nearly as big of a difference? (since the stock suspension on these cars is that much worse)
Old 08-03-2017, 08:50 AM
Launching!

I had went to the Strano site and it was $1,175 for the KONI Sports and Strano springs, then it's another $150 or so for an adjustable panhard bar, then $380 for the Strano sway set so a little over $1,700 and then whatever shipping would be. Thing is I know I don't want a panhard bar so throw in the $695 Fays2 Watt's link instead and you're over $2,200. Then again when I bought the Firebird I wasn't expecting to be disabled for life and unemployed either, but that's just how it goes I guess. So yes a Miata I can be $1,000-1,500 less into from the start and only have to spend $1,200 on suspension versus $2,200+, it all adds up very quickly. Trust me I'd love to have the $3,000 to spend on the UMI coil-overs, the Fays2 Watt's link, and the Strano sways, but I don't and probably won't anytime soon. So that's why all of this indecision, more so than usual.

I've actually have heavily considered just getting another Celica or an Integra since they're even cheaper than the Miata and MR2, which is probably what I should do all things considered. That or get a Lexus SC300 or Nissan 300ZX since they'd be the most accommodating cars to my fibro that're still cool and fun to drive.

Last edited by Boxxx; 08-03-2017 at 09:37 AM.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:14 AM
TECH Resident

I had went to the Strano site and it was $1,175 for the KONI Sports and Strano springs, then it's another $150 or so for an adjustable panhard bar, then $380 for the Strano sway set so a little over $1,700 and then whatever shipping would be. Thing is I know I don't want a panhard bar so throw in the $695 Fays2 Watt's link instead and you're over $2,200. Then again when I bought the Firebird I wasn't expecting to be disabled for life and unemployed either, but that's just how it goes I guess. So yes a Miata I can be $1,000-1,500 less into from the start and only have to spend $1,200 on suspension versus $2,200+, it all adds up very quickly. Trust me I'd love to have the $3,000 to spend on the UMI coil-overs, the Fays2 Watt's link, and the Strano sways, but I don't and probably won't anytime soon. So that's why all of this indecision, more so than usual.

I've actually have heavily considered just getting another Celica or an Integra since they're even cheaper than the Miata and MR2, which is probably what I should do all things considered. That or get a Lexus SC300 or Nissan 300ZX since they'd be the most accommodating cars to my fibro that're still cool and fun to drive.
Dude.
Listen to what everyone is telling you, and talk to Sam Strano.

Your biggest purchase will be the shocks.

Just the shocks will create a significantly better handling f-body.

Just purchase the shocks, and feel the difference. You will be shocked at the before/after results.

It took me what, 14 years to get my car to where I want it, and I'm still not finished.

Relax, get the best shocks you can buy, and go from there.

Simple.

AND, talk to Sam Strano.

Quick Reply: Mountain/Momentum Driving and F-bodies