Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Mountain/Momentum Driving and F-bodies

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 05:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boxxx, I admit that I have grown frustrated with this thread, but I feel for your financial situation you may be getting overwhelmed with the "must have" options. Sometimes you just have to compromise. This could be your compromise. Get new shocks. Koni STR.T's or Bilsteins HD will work fine. Forget the springs. You say it's bumpy, your stock springs are probably the perfect rate anyway. Get new sway bars. Sway bars really effect feel. With softer rate springs, go large rate sways. Best bang for the buck would probably be the ST front/rear combo. Forget the rest of the go-fast goodies until you see what you have. With decent shopping skills I found this combo can be had for $655. Request a "promo code", maybe save another 5-6%. Buy it! Put it on your car! End your indecision! I guarantee your car will feel tighter, flatter, and more composed.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

I didn't read the whole thread, just skimmed, but didn't see anyone mention used parts. look on the classifieds here and craigslist, lots of cars being parted out with lower mile components, people upgrading from spring/shock setups to coilovers etc. lots of deals can be had on good used parts if you take some time to look around. just a thought
Old 08-04-2017, 11:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to add this as well. If you own a 96 then that has the LT1 motor, which is quite dated and well, compared to an LS1 powered f-body, it's a night and day difference...not to mention the issues with the Opti-Spark distributor. The LS motors have individual coils, a far better design compared to the LT1 powerplant.
My 93 had the Opti-Spark as well, it was horrible performance.

I didn't know if you knew this or not, and from a personal point of view I would sell your car.

I'm not trying to steer your decision. I just know the drama I had with my LT motor and that Opti-Spark, which is another reason why I got rid of my 93 and started looking for a 98-02 f-body.
My .02 cents
Old 08-04-2017, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

the problem is not the optispark itself, its the location of it. the "optispark is ****" argument is blown way out of proportion IMO, I've had my car for 4 years now and only had to replace my opti once (was the original as far as I could tell with 160k on it) and that was because my water pump went and leaked coolant into the opti and killed it. as long as you have an ACdelco or MSD opti you will be fine, plenty of guys getting 60k+ out of them without issue
Old 08-04-2017, 12:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by hokeplaya05
the problem is not the optispark itself, its the location of it. the "optispark is ****" argument is blown way out of proportion IMO, I've had my car for 4 years now and only had to replace my opti once (was the original as far as I could tell with 160k on it) and that was because my water pump went and leaked coolant into the opti and killed it. as long as you have an ACdelco or MSD opti you will be fine, plenty of guys getting 60k+ out of them without issue
Good for you.

By the time my 93 hit 175k miles on it, I had to replace the Opti 4 times, so that car had a total of 5 OptiSparks.

No one wanted to work on it.

and the LS equipped 4th-gens had what, up to 50 more rwhp by the time the 98's came along.

Again, my opinion, but those Opti's were a PITA and no one wanted to work on it for me including the dealers, they wanted me to either replace the entire engine or have me trade it in for a 01-02 f-body.
Glad your Opti equipped LT! worked for you, it didn't work for me.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:33 PM
TECH Resident

So for Boxx, I really would consider selling it and going to another platform. even a newer model f-body with the LS motor in it, as it really made a big difference. or go for your Miata or Toyota, sounds like you've had good history with imports.
AGAIN, my .02
Old 08-05-2017, 04:14 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hokeplaya05
I didn't read the whole thread, just skimmed, but didn't see anyone mention used parts. look on the classifieds here and craigslist, lots of cars being parted out with lower mile components, people upgrading from spring/shock setups to coilovers etc. lots of deals can be had on good used parts if you take some time to look around. just a thought
Yeah if money is an issue, no shame in buying some used parts here and there. Do you need to have the car done NOW? I understand the want for the new feeling of the car, but what about taking what you have, buying some pieces now, save a bit more and get the remaining pieces.

I respect the no compromise, as I'm sure we are all like that in some aspect. But I would suggest picking a side and sticking to it. You don't seem to attached to the f body, so if that's the case, just pawn it. After driving a decent handling v8, I know I personally couldn't say I'd be ok with less power.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:16 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As odd as it may sound to some I bought the '96 since that's the exact F-body I wanted for years, I wanted a '96-97 Formula hardtop with the 6-speed so that's what I got. I just like the earlier aesthetics that much more, and the LT-1 runs great and makes plenty of power so I have no complaints there.

I'm entirely fine buying used parts if they're still in good shape. The car doesn't have to be "done" now, and that wasn't ever the intention, but it does need to be better than what it is currently. I don't know, maybe I should sell it. I like the car, but I just have a lot of uncertainty and doubt with it. It's kind of funny because I was shopping for a Miata and F-body at the same when I bought it(has to be a first right?), and had I bought a Miata I'd probably be thinking about selling it to try the F-body. I had already owned a Miata though and I had wanted a F-body for awhile, so when one exactly how I wanted one in good shape with two owners came up for sale I had to have it. I think the problem is that I'm so used to small and light cars with IRS that's what I want out of my only car, as a second car I don't think I'd have any qualms with the Firebird.

Last edited by Boxxx; 08-05-2017 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:21 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 209 Likes on 176 Posts

Not to be rude, but do you just want to talk, or do you want to do something with your car? You've gotten consistently good advice in this thread - ad nauseum. It's time to "put up or shut up."

Getting close to shutting this one down.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Getting close to shutting this one down.
+1000. This has to be the most ridiculous thread ever on LS1TECH.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:51 PM
Launching!

I was thinking there'd be others here that own(ed) cars like I've owned in the past, so someone in my exact situation to see what their thoughts were and what they did. Which I know everyone is different anyway and it was ultimately always my decision to make, I suppose I was just looking for reassurance from someone that's owned a Miata or something similar.

Anyway for what it's worth the responses have been immensely helpful and I've been thinking about what everyone has graciously put forth. I've decided to keep an eye out for some used KONI Sport shocks and used Strano springs for now, or maybe even just getting a new set of KONI STR.T since any improvement should be of help. Also going to try the "hose mod" to see if leveling the car out some helps any, might as well since it's just a few dollars and it's not too hard to reverse should it make things worse. So I'd like to thank those that helped me by sharing their experience and putting up with me. I don't mean to be this way but it's a side effect of depression, I just have a hard time making decisions even after researching and thinking things to death.

Quick Reply: Mountain/Momentum Driving and F-bodies