Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

WS6 Rear-end Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 09:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default WS6 Rear-end Issues?

Hey Guys,

I have an 01 WS6 M6 and I'm having some issues I was hoping to get some extra perspective on.

I'm experiencing some clicking from the back of the car at low speeds, there's a hum at highway speeds, and it feels like the rear is "loose" when changing direction hard at speed. It's like the rear-end shifts from side to side a little bit. Lastly, I'm also experiencing a pull to the left even after an alignment.

I checked the diff with a mechanic buddy and it looked fine - we filled it back up fluid and went on our way.

Do you guys have any suggestions or thoughts?

I've heard this could be a CV Joint or U Joint, but am not sure what my next steps should be.

Thanks!
Old 07-20-2017, 10:34 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Moving to suspension and brakes...
Old 07-20-2017, 11:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it the stock rear end does it have a different ce ter section or anything
Old 07-20-2017, 11:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check the trans mount on the crossmember, and the torque arm mount.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:57 AM
On The Tree

You probably have two separate issues going on. The "pull" after an alignment is either a poorly done alignment, or possibly a caliper not releasing the brakes fully. Look for a blue rotor.
As far as the rear end making a little noise, they just do that. I don't think you can really look at a center section and determine it's okay. You can certainly see BAD, but I think to see a little noise issue would be pretty tough. To try though, you might look for a little bit of pitting or deterioration on the gears themselves. New lube is good. Anything more than that, and "good practices" would dictate a complete rebuild. Start saving a little money, it costs about $1400 to have a center section rebuilt putting in new gears, bearings, and LSD.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:04 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by one sweet ws6
Is it the stock rear end does it have a different ce ter section or anything
It's stock, thanks
Old 07-23-2017, 11:06 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by eb110americana
Thanks for the reply. Anything in particular that I'm looking for?

Deformation, damage or otherwise I'm assuming
Old 07-23-2017, 11:10 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by stp001
You probably have two separate issues going on. The "pull" after an alignment is either a poorly done alignment, or possibly a caliper not releasing the brakes fully. Look for a blue rotor.
As far as the rear end making a little noise, they just do that. I don't think you can really look at a center section and determine it's okay. You can certainly see BAD, but I think to see a little noise issue would be pretty tough. To try though, you might look for a little bit of pitting or deterioration on the gears themselves. New lube is good. Anything more than that, and "good practices" would dictate a complete rebuild. Start saving a little money, it costs about $1400 to have a center section rebuilt putting in new gears, bearings, and LSD.
Thanks for the thoughts. I'll check the calipers today and get another alignment lined up. It has a 1 yr warranty.

I wouldn't call it a "little" noise though. Its definitely audible at highway speeds.

Any thoughts on why it might feel like the rear end moves around when I change lanes and move around at higher speeds?
Old 07-23-2017, 11:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Things to check....

- make sure panhard bar is tight
- lower control arm bolts and bushings are tight
- front and rear sway bar bushings are good and bolts are tight.
- torque arm bolts are tight
- transmission mount is not tore
Old 07-23-2017, 02:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by eb110americana
Originally Posted by Majozak
Thanks for the reply. Anything in particular that I'm looking for?

Deformation, damage or otherwise I'm assuming
Just look for tearing of the rubber. The trans mount is captured, so the metal will hold it together, but the rubber may no longer even be connected. The torque arm mount is harder to see, but look for tearing or collapsed rubber.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Majozak
Thanks for the thoughts. I'll check the calipers today and get another alignment lined up. It has a 1 yr warranty.

I wouldn't call it a "little" noise though. Its definitely audible at highway speeds.

Any thoughts on why it might feel like the rear end moves around when I change lanes and move around at higher speeds?
There are half a dozen bushings in the rear suspension. Super easy to replace with poly. That is first step, new shocks are 2nd step. As far as the rear end noise, put a W140 lube in it and wait to see if it will need more work. If you are paying labor, it costs about the same to change bearings as it does to do a total rebuild. You may not be able to justify a new LSD, but new gears, bearings and seals is the only way to go. Your Torsen holds up pretty well for medium duty straight stuff, but it falls way short of a modern "twisties" capable LSD.

Last edited by stp001; 07-23-2017 at 09:12 PM.

Quick Reply: WS6 Rear-end Issues?