Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI / Strano / AFCO review

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 06:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by 98_WS6_M6
Oh ok. Looked like there was a rubber biscuit of some sort but it's hard to tell from the pics
Yea ur right there is a rubber thing in there too. Hmmm.....
Old 08-10-2017, 07:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the Strano 2055TST kit correct?
Old 08-11-2017, 09:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NH_Z06
This is the Strano 2055TST kit correct?
yes it is
Old 09-06-2017, 10:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisingermany
Pretty in depth review as always Darth. I have the Strano/UMI coilover on for a while now. I have had a problem with the front springs coming out of the cup up top and scraping against the side of the shock body. Only happens on the front and seems to be isolated to the drivers side. UMI mentioned moving up to a 800# spring up front to correct this. I'm curious if other are having this problem as well. I don't have many street miles on my car as it is a auto-x setup. I have had about 10 events on the coilover setup and other that the adjustable ride height they feel really close to the Strano/Bilstein HD setup I had before. I went with the coilover setup as once I put the UMI road race k-member on, the strano/bilstein setup was high in the front. Get some miles and let me know how they go.
What did you figure out to fix the spring problem??
Old 09-06-2017, 10:40 AM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

It seemed to have worked itself out. It may have just been the case of the springs settling a bit as my ride height when I first set up the coil overs was 27 1/4" in front and now I am riding at like 26 1/2". It looks good but I may have to go and raise the front back up just a little to regain a little more ground clearance. But as far as I can tell no more rubbing on the shock body has occurred.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:41 PM
TECH Regular

Well....I lied. They are still rubbing on the shock body. I am going to tie them to the upper spring cup with some safety wire. Kind of sucks that they need to be messed with like this but that's the price of admission I guess.
Attached Thumbnails UMI / Strano / AFCO review-20170906_171044.jpg   UMI / Strano / AFCO review-20170906_171051.jpg  
Old 09-06-2017, 07:01 PM
TECH Addict

Wow..you went from a 27 1/4 ride height to a 26 1/2??? Are you sure the lower perch set screw was tight? That seems like a lot of sag loss out of a spring to chalk it up to "settling". I set mine to 26 1/2" floor to fender...my koni/strano setup was about 25 1/4...way too low for my liking.

I noticed the same thing when installing mine last weekend. At full droop I have about 5/8" gap between the spring and upper perch and this is "normal" for high rate coilovers according to many I have spoke to.

I'm running a 850/250 10" long springs. Only way to fix that is to get longer free length springs. It's a balancing act. I have yet to race my setup though.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:19 PM
9 Second Club

Received 98 Likes on 76 Posts

Well....I lied. They are still rubbing on the shock body. I am going to tie them to the upper spring cup with some safety wire. Kind of sucks that they need to be messed with like this but that's the price of admission I guess.
That's crazy to me. There's gotta be something wrong. Are you sure they gave you the correct front springs? I just installed my new coil overs and the front springs are much longer than the rear so if they sent you too short of springs or you mixed the fronts and rears up then that would explain it.

When I set my ride height up and let the wheels drop fully, my springs will not move. In order to loosen the springs up enough to come out of the cup my car would be sitting on the ground.

After getting such a nice setup I hate seeing them scraped up like that. Let me know if you want me to take pics of anything. Or a vid of he shock fully extended.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:21 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by smitty2919
Wow..you went from a 27 1/4 ride height to a 26 1/2??? Are you sure the lower perch set screw was tight? That seems like a lot of sag loss out of a spring to chalk it up to "settling". I set mine to 26 1/2" floor to fender...my koni/strano setup was about 25 1/4...way too low for my liking.

I noticed the same thing when installing mine last weekend. At full droop I have about 5/8" gap between the spring and upper perch and this is "normal" for high rate coilovers according to many I have spoke to.

I'm running a 850/250 10" long springs. Only way to fix that is to get longer free length springs. It's a balancing act. I have yet to race my setup though.
I didn't see this post before I posted. I guess it's normal. Mine is not that high of a spring rate so maybe that's why it fits better. My springs are only an inch or two shorter than the shock fully extended.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:10 AM
TECH Addict

Now I suppose it's possible to have this rubbing happen, but that would mean during racing the wheel would have to be coming off the pavement during cornering to be constantly unloading the spring from the upper perch and allowing it to move around.

It's POSSIBLE to do that, but I bet you need to be on slicks and having some good cornering speed. Judging by Chrisingermany's signature mod list, he isn't a drag racer.

I can not speak to anything drag racing. Everything I mention has to do with autocross/road racing.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:42 AM
9 Second Club

Now I suppose it's possible to have this rubbing happen, but that would mean during racing the wheel would have to be coming off the pavement during cornering to be constantly unloading the spring from the upper perch and allowing it to move around.

It's POSSIBLE to do that, but I bet you need to be on slicks and having some good cornering speed. Judging by Chrisingermany's signature mod list, he isn't a drag racer.

I can not speak to anything drag racing. Everything I mention has to do with autocross/road racing.
I would think in either sport you're not going to want a spring flopping around on your shock. If I were him I would call UMI directly and talk to them about it at least. Their customer service is awesome. I like to drag race and they're lead engineer talked to me for an hour and explained shock setups. They also told me that their road race setup works great for drag racing and he explained that in detail too. I just chose to go with Menscer valving for more adjustability for my sport. Either way I would not be happy at all with my springs coming out of the cup like that. I don't see any functional purpose to that happening. And if there is I'd like to know why it happens as I enjoy learning about cars in general.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Helper springs are needed to rid the spring from coming off the perch. Strano even addressed this

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...l#post19643369

Last edited by dojob; 09-07-2017 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:45 AM
TECH Regular

I talked to UMI when I first noticed the wearing issue. They mentioned going to a stiffer spring up front (somewhere around 800#) but this was right before LSfest West, and I wouldn't have had time to get them in before heading to Vegas. Since then I hadn't really noticed the rubbing but I did notice the change in ride height. The coil over adjustment lower spring perch has a lock screw so I know that isn't moving. I also hit up Strano and he talked about the helper spring like dojob mentioned, I was just kind of bummed I needed more parts to fix this issue. Strano mentioned that with the rubbing he thought my ride height setting was way low but like I mentioned earlier I was sitting at right around 27 1/4" in the front (pretty normal I thought).
Old 09-07-2017, 09:57 AM
TECH Addict

That's what I came to realize that may need to happen.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:17 AM
TECH Regular

After looking back at the conversations with UMI/Strano. Strano mentioned he thinks that the actual spring is bending under load as well. He was looking at setting me up with some hydraulic spring perches (about $180 a piece). UMI mentioned spring bow as being common and with the larger body of the shock it makes it more noticeable. They then recommended the 850# springs. With the change in ride height and the tire rubbing on the fender liner I think the better bet would be to go with the stiffer springs up front. I may have to get with UMI here shortly as I would hate to do more damage, possibly even rub through the side of the housing.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:50 AM
9 Second Club

Good info!
Old 09-07-2017, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

After looking back at the conversations with UMI/Strano. Strano mentioned he thinks that the actual spring is bending under load as well. He was looking at setting me up with some hydraulic spring perches (about $180 a piece). UMI mentioned spring bow as being common and with the larger body of the shock it makes it more noticeable. They then recommended the 850# springs. With the change in ride height and the tire rubbing on the fender liner I think the better bet would be to go with the stiffer springs up front. I may have to get with UMI here shortly as I would hate to do more damage, possibly even rub through the side of the housing.
Hydraulic mounts at $180 each? F that. If anything tender srpings at $30 each.

What spring rates do you run now? I assume 600 front? Coming from strano 550/150 combo, going to 600/200 wasn't worth it IMO. So far loving the 850/250 combo I have now.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:11 PM
TECH Regular

Hydraulic mounts at $180 each? F that. If anything tender srpings at $30 each.

What spring rates do you run now? I assume 600 front? Coming from strano 550/150 combo, going to 600/200 wasn't worth it IMO. So far loving the 850/250 combo I have now.
Yeah, I just have the standard 600# up front. I came from the Strano/Bilstein setup so the coilovers didn't feel that different. I think I would prefer the 850# ones up front as well.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:17 PM
TECH Addict

I highly suggest moving away from those softer rates.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:25 PM
TECH Regular

I think a lot of what issues I come upon have to do with not calling in and talking to anybody. When I say that I mean I thought I was getting the best of the best when I got the UMI/Strano coilover set, so I just added it to the online cart, paid and installed. I didn't call to get any expertise on the situation. I did the same thing when I did my turn one power steering pump. I went online ordered and I am still misting out of the cap even with an external cooler. I should have called and they would have set me up with a slightly different setup. Little did I know both of these situations would have been the same price they just didn't have them listed on the site.

Quick Reply: UMI / Strano / AFCO review