Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Power Steering Rack...

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cpt.Derrek
you're going to need a replacement or rebuild.
Damn alright... Well looks like its time to get a new one haah
Old 06-05-2022, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Is Turn One still the best option out there?
Old 06-06-2022, 04:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

yes.................
Old 06-06-2022, 08:51 AM
Launching!

Location: From Massapequa, New York / Now in Southern California
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
Is Turn One still the best option out there?
Rebuilding it yourself is another option:

Gates Rack and Pinion Seal Kits
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...seal-kits.html

The following users liked this post:
allbaugh_04 (06-06-2022)
Old 06-06-2022, 03:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

for a simple reseal....seal kits are available.....hard parts are another matter....I would bet T1 has a line on hard parts that we mere mortals do not

same as rebuilding your own P/S pump...seal kits are available...and the ONLY source for hard parts I know of is PCS in Azle Texas [pricy i might add] T1 has hard parts also but I am sure not offering them to the public
Old 06-06-2022, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000 WS6 Formula

Initial thoughts are I can't do this, but I've done just about everything else to the car including cam, springs/shocks, but if I get hung up, I'm kinda screwed.

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
for a simple reseal....seal kits are available.....hard parts are another matter....I would bet T1 has a line on hard parts that we mere mortals do not

same as rebuilding your own P/S pump...seal kits are available...and the ONLY source for hard parts I know of is PCS in Azle Texas [pricy i might add] T1 has hard parts also but I am sure not offering them to the public
If the kits are available, I wonder how much a local build might cost, if I can find a reputable shop.

Also, if I were to buy the BBB on Rock Auto. How do I know if I have FE2, FE4, FE7, or the F41? Does it matter?
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...&pt=7388&jsn=9

I don't have an RPO code sheet. Can I find one using my VIN? Found this with a search: https://www.compnine.com/vid.php
Old 06-14-2022, 12:13 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I believe the 2000-2002 racks are all the same. You don't need to worry about the F-code, though yours is probably FE2.
strikeone (05-04-2023)
Old 06-17-2022, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Detroit Speed just released a new rack as well. They call it a quick ratio one at 2 and a quarter turns lock to lock.
Old 06-17-2022, 10:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

I saw that....what is the ratio of a WS6 rack I wonder ?
Old 06-18-2022, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
I saw that....what is the ratio of a WS6 rack I wonder ?
Just went out and tried my car which I would assume being a Firehawk has the same rack as a ws6. It was the same 2 1/4 turns full lock. So this looks to be a brand new stock replacement option. Wonder if they will do a tight ratio rack?
Old 06-21-2022, 01:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bdbrd
Detroit Speed just released a new rack as well. They call it a quick ratio one at 2 and a quarter turns lock to lock.
Saw this as well, super intrigued. I recently bought new GM boots/clamps and Moog inner and outer tie rods and was planning to ship my rack up to TurnOne for a rebuild, but the Detroit Speed rack is a far more enticing option. I just got off the phone with one of their salesman, he said he thinks it has a 2 year warranty, but he knows for sure at least 1. Since it's so new, he hasn't gotten clarification on that yet. He also said that overall, the rack is similar to a new stock unit, but the valving does improve the steering feel from stock.

The Detroit Speed rack is $495 vs TurnOne rebuild at $375 minimum + the cost of additional rebuild parts you want TurnOne to include during the rebuild + the cost of shipping and hassle to ship your rack to TurnOne.
TurnOne has a 30 day warranty vs the Detroit Speed 1-2 year warranty
TurnOne is a rebuilt used unit vs Detroit Speed's brand new unit.

This is a no brainer, I'm definitely going with the Detroit Speed.
Old 06-21-2022, 06:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

I had mine done by rack doctor and happy with it. He was out of ws6 cores so I shipped mine but think normally he sends you rack then you return yours, free shipping.. about $300 if I recall.
https://rackdoctor.net/
Old 06-22-2022, 09:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JimTA
I had mine done by rack doctor and happy with it. He was out of ws6 cores so I shipped mine but think normally he sends you rack then you return yours, free shipping.. about $300 if I recall.
https://rackdoctor.net/
Rack Doctor is trash, my first rack leaked within 18 months (less than 1500 miles) and they wouldn't warranty it because they, "couldn't find my order" even though I provided them the email with the order number. So I bought another from them since they were the cheapest around and waited almost three weeks for it. I paid for a prepaid FedEx label but received instructions with the rack stating I have to call them and ask for the FedEx label. I called M-F for a month and nobody answered the phone. I left voicemails every day, but never received a callback. I sent an email every week, but never received an email back. I sent Facebook messages but never received a response back. So they kept my core charge and my prepaid FedEx label, and was unable to activate my, "lifetime warranty" because I couldn't send the core back within their timeframe. Not like they'd honor the warranty anyways with their shitty business practice, so **** Rack Doctor.

Check Rack Doctor's Facebook page and you'll see other trash reviews as well.

Last edited by _JB_; 06-22-2022 at 10:17 PM.
Antivanity (08-08-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 06:15 AM
TECH Regular

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by _JB_
Rack Doctor is trash, my first rack leaked within 18 months (less than 1500 miles) and they wouldn't warranty it because they, "couldn't find my order" even though I provided them the email with the order number. So I bought another from them since they were the cheapest around and waited almost three weeks for it. I paid for a prepaid FedEx label but received instructions with the rack stating I have to call them and ask for the FedEx label. I called M-F for a month and nobody answered the phone. I left voicemails every day, but never received a callback. I sent an email every week, but never received an email back. I sent Facebook messages but never received a response back. So they kept my core charge and my prepaid FedEx label, and was unable to activate my, "lifetime warranty" because I couldn't send the core back within their timeframe. Not like they'd honor the warranty anyways with their shitty business practice, so **** Rack Doctor.

Check Rack Doctor's Facebook page and you'll see other trash reviews as well.

Well ok, good to know I guess.. It worked out well for me but guess for once I got lucky..
Old 06-23-2022, 11:58 AM
Launching!

Location: From Massapequa, New York / Now in Southern California
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I ordered a rebuilt rack and pinion from "The Rack Doctor" and emailed questions on getting the correct rack and pinion for my car and never got a response. So I started reading reviews and pretty much anywhere that you get a rebuilt rack and pinion from there are complaints of problems, usually they start leaking again. I looked a little deeper into "The Rack Doctor" and saw his cores that he picks up from junk yards with unknown history, didn't look any better than what I was starting off with so I cancelled my order and just rebuilt my own.

"The Rack Doctor"

My rack and pinion before (twenty one years old 194,000 miles)

My rack and pinion after

Originally Posted by 2000 WS6 Formula

The following 2 users liked this post by 2000 WS6 Formula:
Antivanity (08-08-2022), _JB_ (06-24-2022)
Old 06-24-2022, 05:21 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Same experience with the Rack Doctor ... unit for our Buick Terraza failed quickly and they "couldn't find the order." There was no invoice with it when it arrived, only a packing slip. Nice "lifetime warranty." Those guys do really shoddy work and are frauds and shysters on top of it.

I took it in the shorts on that one but purchased a rebuilt unit from Detroit Axle and was completely satisfied.
_JB_ (06-24-2022)
Old 06-26-2022, 01:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I didn’t quite read all the post here but figured I would post my experience on a rebuilt unit. I sent my original in to turn one years ago for a rebuild. The folks I spoke with had good service to me and the turn around for it was pretty good at the time, that could potentially be different now of course with everything going the way it is.

After install and finishing up the car it has not given me any trouble and is leak free.
5.7stroker (06-26-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 02:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Firebirdmuscle
I didn’t quite read all the post here but figured I would post my experience on a rebuilt unit. I sent my original in to turn one years ago for a rebuild. The folks I spoke with had good service to me and the turn around for it was pretty good at the time, that could potentially be different now of course with everything going the way it is.

After install and finishing up the car it has not given me any trouble and is leak free.
I'm not surprised, TurnOne seems to put out pretty good work, and I was 100% committed to sending my rack to them for a freshen up and purchase one of their pumps. But now with Detroit Speed and TurnOne's notable price increases, the value proposition simply isn't there for me to go with a rebuilt unit with a 30 day warranty vs a brand new one with a 1-2 year warranty. I'll still buy the HP1 pump and pulley however, as that's an entirely new unit and has great reviews. That's great to hear of your success though, I've only ever seen one negative review of a TurnOne steering rack rebuild, which honestly says a lot considering the litany of poor reviews I've seen about every other option, even reman'd AC Delcos.
Old 08-07-2022, 11:06 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, im not happy i went with Rack Doctor.. Its leaking from this cap:
Easy fix or do i have to send this back to Rack Doctor?
Old 08-08-2022, 12:52 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SnIpEz
Saw this as well, super intrigued. I recently bought new GM boots/clamps and Moog inner and outer tie rods and was planning to ship my rack up to TurnOne for a rebuild, but the Detroit Speed rack is a far more enticing option. I just got off the phone with one of their salesman, he said he thinks it has a 2 year warranty, but he knows for sure at least 1. Since it's so new, he hasn't gotten clarification on that yet. He also said that overall, the rack is similar to a new stock unit, but the valving does improve the steering feel from stock.

The Detroit Speed rack is $495 vs TurnOne rebuild at $375 minimum + the cost of additional rebuild parts you want TurnOne to include during the rebuild + the cost of shipping and hassle to ship your rack to TurnOne.
TurnOne has a 30 day warranty vs the Detroit Speed 1-2 year warranty
TurnOne is a rebuilt used unit vs Detroit Speed's brand new unit.

This is a no brainer, I'm definitely going with the Detroit Speed.
Did you end up getting the Detroit Speed rack? If so, how did you like it? I just called them and they stated a 2 year warranty and all parts are new and not a reman. Can you confirm?

Quick Reply: Power Steering Rack...