Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Power Steering Rack...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 12:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Power Steering Rack...

So whats the best replacement of an original power steering rack? Mines been leaking like crazy & its time to fix it!! Thanks for the help
Old 07-22-2017, 01:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got mine from rack doctor.They have a lifetime warranty.Really happy with it.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:36 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Moving to Suspension and Brakes.

The best thing (if you can stand having your car laid up for two weeks) would be to send your rack to Turn One for a rebuild.

IMO - Better to have the core you know on your car vs. some junk yard pull that will be sold to you in another reman scenario or where you are sold a rack that is "new" but really isn't.
The following users liked this post:
strikeone (05-04-2023)
Old 07-26-2017, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by transwiz
I got mine from rack doctor.They have a lifetime warranty.Really happy with it.
Thanks for the help checked them out. Lifetime warranty once you ship them your old one before days. Guess it'll do.

Originally Posted by wssix99
Moving to Suspension and Brakes.

The best thing (if you can stand having your car laid up for two weeks) would be to send your rack to Turn One for a rebuild.

IMO - Better to have the core you know on your car vs. some junk yard pull that will be sold to you in another reman scenario or where you are sold a rack that is "new" but really isn't.
Sorry for the placement & thanks! Kinda hard to beat the lifetime warranty from Rackdoctor
Old 07-26-2017, 07:14 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by DoggyB22
Sorry for the placement & thanks! Kinda hard to beat the lifetime warranty from Rackdoctor
This is the false psychology of the "lifetime warranty" at work...

Reman parts manufacturers use the warranty as a cheap quality control measure. Why go through extensive testing and dyno every reman unit that leaves the plant when you can just swap out the unit for another one? (You'd have to do the same action if the unit failed the test, anyway, and the customer is typically responsible for the shipping charges.)

In the case of this part, there is an added burden on you if the part fails. Removing this particular rack is a major PITA! (Never mind the usual grief we have to do with any rack replacement, like getting the car aligned.)

This is why I am such a big fan of rebuilding my own cores for these hard/expensive-to-install parts. The chances of getting actual/real longevity out of the rebuild are much greater.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

^ I read that and all I can think of was the quote from Tommy Boy where he was trying to sell the pads to a wholesaler and the guy said I dont like your product cause there is no warranty guarantee my customers like to see that guarantee on the box.

rebuttal you know why they put a guarantee on the box, because the know all they sold you was a guarantee'ed piece of ****.

for what its worth I'd go with Turn One as well and would probably get their power steering pump at the same time if you are still running the original.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:05 AM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I did the same thing when I upgraded the k-member over the last winter. I had the stock one on at the time and although it didn't leak, I figured I would get a nice rebuilt one from rackdoctor to clean everything up and was a nice addition to the new turn one pump and PS cooler.

The first rackdoctor one made a a noise and something in it was loose and banging around when I turned the wheel back and forth. Sent a video to rackdoctor and he sent out a fresh rebuilt one and a return shipping label.

I had the second rackdoctor one on for a few months and it is leaking out of the drivers side boot. If it keeps leaking I am just going to send in my stock one I still have to turn one and get it done right. I am also running on a 315 rivals up front so the rack is working for sure.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hmm interesting & good to know... So sounds like Rackdoctor isn't the best then? I've looked around & there's one from Detroit Axle, Buyautoparts, Partsgeek etc? & going with Turnone? I didn't really see an power steering rack? Thanks!
Old 07-27-2017, 07:06 AM
Save the manuals!

TurnOne's rack is the rack that's on your car right now. That's why it make it the best option. It's a core that you have history with and know is quality. https://www.turnone-steering.com/pag...lding-services

(Unlike the other options, you aren't getting a core that was pulled from a totaled car in a scrap yard, shipped to Mexico/China in a pile of rusting scrap metal sitting in an open rail car, and then sent back to the USA as an untested reman unit.)
Old 07-27-2017, 07:50 AM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

TurnOne's rack is the rack that's on your car right now. That's why it make it the best option. It's a core that you have history with and know is quality. https://www.turnone-steering.com/pag...lding-services

(Unlike the other options, you aren't getting a core that was pulled from a totaled car in a scrap yard, shipped to Mexico/China in a pile of rusting scrap metal sitting in an open rail car, and then sent back to the USA as an untested reman unit.)

Thank you for putting our name out there! It is greatly appreciated!

The information provided above is correct. All rebuilds are done right here in Michigan and are dyno tested before leaving our facility! If you have questions regarding our rebuilding services, you can use the link provided in the post above or give us a call at 1.877.GO.TURN1 and speak with someone in Tech Support.

We look forward to hearing from you,
Bry
Old 07-31-2017, 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thank you for your help man much appreciated! Never would of known...

Originally Posted by steering_experts1
Thank you for putting our name out there! It is greatly appreciated!

The information provided above is correct. All rebuilds are done right here in Michigan and are dyno tested before leaving our facility! If you have questions regarding our rebuilding services, you can use the link provided in the post above or give us a call at 1.877.GO.TURN1 and speak with someone in Tech Support.

We look forward to hearing from you,
Bry
Sounds like its the right way to go but do you happen to know the turn around time? That's kind of the only reason why I'm hesitant because I need this done quick & can't really remove it & have my car sitting for a long period of time.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:19 AM
FormerVendor

Thank you for your help man much appreciated! Never would of known...

Sounds like its the right way to go but do you happen to know the turn around time? That's kind of the only reason why I'm hesitant because I need this done quick & can't really remove it & have my car sitting for a long period of time.
Hello,

Turn around time is set at 2 weeks. To move that a long faster, you can contact someone in tech and see if they might be able to help you with that!

Thanks,
Bry
Old 08-03-2017, 06:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
^ i read that and all i can think of was the quote from tommy boy where he was trying to sell the pads to a wholesaler and the guy said i dont like your product cause there is no warranty guarantee my customers like to see that guarantee on the box.

Rebuttal you know why they put a guarantee on the box, because the know all they sold you was a guarantee'ed piece of ****.
haha!!!
Old 08-04-2017, 12:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 for Turnone -1 for rackdoctor. I had a lot of patience with that dude but out of 2 failed racks and then sending the wrong rack I was done.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Awesome thank you for the help guys! Right now I don't have the time/space to work on this myself which is why I asked on the return time. Id have to have my buddy who does work on my car take it off & get it shipped out. Just seemed easier to order one from a website but seems like they all suck. haha
Old 08-18-2017, 11:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by steering_experts1
Hello,

Turn around time is set at 2 weeks. To move that a long faster, you can contact someone in tech and see if they might be able to help you with that!

Thanks,
Bry
Do we have to send our rack in, or can we call, get a rack in 2 weeks, and then send you our old one to get a reimbursement on the core charge? Just seems much faster than having to wait to uninstall the rack on our end, and then have the car down for 2-3 weeks or if I read correctly, a $150 upcharge to get it back in 1 week? This way, I already have a correctly sized box to ship my old one in the box you sent me.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 5.7stroker
Do we have to send our rack in, or can we call, get a rack in 2 weeks, and then send you our old one to get a reimbursement on the core charge? Just seems much faster than having to wait to uninstall the rack on our end, and then have the car down for 2-3 weeks or if I read correctly, a $150 upcharge to get it back in 1 week? This way, I already have a correctly sized box to ship my old one in the box you sent me.
Yea that's what I was thinking myself... It is definitely more convenient getting one sent to us then uninstall the old one & reinstall the new one same day
Old 08-21-2017, 07:31 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 5.7stroker
Yea that's what I was thinking myself... It is definitely more convenient getting one sent to us then uninstall the old one & reinstall the new one same day
Hello,

We only do rebuilds on racks that are sent into us. We recommend sending in the original but the other option is to source a core for your application and rebuild that to avoid down time.

You can contact us for more information at 1.877.go.turn1 or via email at info@turnone-steering.com. We can discuss your application and see what we can do for you!

Thank you,
Bry
Old 10-27-2017, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thank you for the help! Much appreciated finally found the cause & it's leaking from the hose that I circled in the attached picture... Anyone know if I have to replace the whole rack or can just be replaced? Thank you

The following users liked this post:
cammednnbs (08-01-2023)
Old 10-27-2017, 12:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you for the help! Much appreciated finally found the cause & it's leaking from the hose that I circled in the attached picture... Anyone know if I have to replace the whole rack or can just be replaced? Thank you

you're going to need a replacement or rebuild.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Rack...