Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

kenny brown weld in sfc

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kenny brown weld in sfc

i have a 1994 z28 and bought a used set of kenny brown sfc weld in and needing info for install
Old 08-10-2017, 04:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had those in a '96 Z/28 that I had owned for a number of years. Once you loosen the attaching bolts for the rear trailing arms, you slip the "ears" of the SFC behind those bolts, and remove the factory "tunnel brace", and locate the connectors with those mounting holes, you then slide the "arms" connectors up into the subframes, and weld them in place. They pretty much locate themselves.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:15 PM
Teching In

ok.does the suspension need to be loaded when installing?
Old 08-11-2017, 06:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Not necessarily, but when mine were installed, by a friend who owned a body shop, we had the car up on his frame machine, and used the machine's jacks, to gently push the connectors into place, and keep a little pressure on them, while we welded them in.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jbest
ok.does the suspension need to be loaded when installing?
No.
The body (unibody) is just your frame or framework which the rear axle assembly connects to. And which the front wheel assemblies (upper & lower Ctrl arms, turning knuckle and coil over shock) connect to. These are independent of the body. And the body is supported at 4 points from them- the coil springs. If the suspension is loaded all that's happening is the body is evenly supported from those 4 points, which is really the goal you don't want to introduce twist into the body before welding in an extra support structure. Having the car body up on a lift supported at the 4 lift points would be no different with respect to body twist. What I would not do is a home SFC install and weld in sfc's with one corner jacked up from the ground to get under the car .
Old 08-11-2017, 07:35 PM
Teching In

ok,thanks for you guys info,i have a 2 post lift in my shop.i will lift it at lift points and then install sfcs. thanks again for the info!
Old 08-12-2017, 07:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by jbest
ok,thanks for you guys info,i have a 2 post lift in my shop.i will lift it at lift points and then install sfcs. thanks again for the info!
Be careful! A couple of the "lift points" that you refer to, might be the points where the SFCs locate. Secondly, on a 2 poster, the unit body tends to "hang", which may not allow it to sit naturally. I'd be more inclined to want to have the suspension at least partially loaded, to have the unit body in it's "natural" state.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed with the poster above. Many recommend installing SFC with the suspension loaded
Old 08-12-2017, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed with the poster above. Many recommend installing SFC with the suspension loaded

Quick Reply: kenny brown weld in sfc