Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Stoptech Stainless brake line won't stop leaking!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 08:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stoptech Stainless brake line won't stop leaking!!

I bought Stoptech stainless brake lines off of Amazon for my '99 Z28 a while back. I finally get to installing them and they were pure hell to get to stop leaking from the banjo bolt. I finally got them all to stop leaking except the passenger front. I have changed copper washers numerous times, tried the torque spec specified by Stoptech and even the spec listed in my Haynes manual. It still won't stop leaking. Anyone have any suggestions because I'm out of ideas.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:23 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I had this problem... but it also caused the shorter banjo bolts to strip my calipers.

The issue is that you can't install the StopTech lines in the same position as the stock lines. The first part of the stock line ran in the recess cast into the back of the stock front caliper, but the collar on the StopTech line won't allow for that. The collar is too thick and doesn't let the fitting seat on the crush washer.

If you turn the new StopTech line so the black collar doesn't contact the caliper at all, everything should seat and torque correctly.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by wssix99
I had this problem... but it also caused the shorter banjo bolts to strip my calipers.

The issue is that you can't install the StopTech lines in the same position as the stock lines. The first part of the stock line ran in the recess cast into the back of the stock front caliper, but the collar on the StopTech line won't allow for that. The collar is too thick and doesn't let the fitting seat on the crush washer.

If you turn the new StopTech line so the black collar doesn't contact the caliper at all, everything should seat and torque correctly.
That was it! I had the front lines running down the recess in the back of the caliper thinking that was the best place to have free range of motion while turning the wheel. I loosened them, clocked them away from the caliper and it stopped leaking. Thanks for the reply!
Old 08-28-2017, 10:07 PM
Save the manuals!

I'm glad that helped. Would you believe my car was on jack stands for 4 weeks dealing with this? (BTW - Several StopTech engineers couldn't figure it out, either...)
Old 08-29-2017, 11:24 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by wssix99
I'm glad that helped. Would you believe my car was on jack stands for 4 weeks dealing with this? (BTW - Several StopTech engineers couldn't figure it out, either...)
Wow, that sucks! You think they would have figured out something that detrimental before relaesaing them for sale to the public. I was seriously considering tossing almost $100 in brake lines because of it.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:18 PM
Save the manuals!

I got the impression that they are geared up more for their lines being used on their own calipers and less on OEM units.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Still seems like a serious oversight.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:18 PM
FormerVendor

This is why we make our SS hoses and exact copy of the factory fittings. They are probably more money but a true OEM fit.

Old 09-10-2017, 02:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Founders Performance
This is why we make our SS hoses and exact copy of the factory fittings. They are probably more money but a true OEM fit.

i just ordered those brake lines. thanks
Old 09-15-2017, 08:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 506 Likes on 203 Posts

try these iv

had great luck with them

Quick Reply: Stoptech Stainless brake line won't stop leaking!!