Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Banjo Bolt Torque Specs - CENTRIC stainless brake hoses (950.62001)

Old 09-21-2017, 11:38 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Banjo Bolt Torque Specs - CENTRIC stainless brake hoses (950.62001)

2000 TA LS1 M6

So I was replacing my front brake caliper hoses and got the Centeic stainless brake hoses (950.62001). The kit comes with both front hoses and what looks like proprietary banjo bolts. There were no install instructions so I went with the service manual the banjo bolt torque spec, 30 ft/lbs. However when I was tightening one of them it snapped in half.

Anyone know if there's a specific torque spec for the centric parts? I tried contacting them but haven't received a response.

The factory banjo bolt is much longer to accommodate the larger factory hose fittings and the fluid hole appears to be in a slightly different spot.

see pics for the centric bolt (broke) vs OEM spec
Old 09-22-2017, 06:58 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I'm sorry you are the latest victim to fall prey to Centric's lack of instructions:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...p-leaking.html

Instead of the caliper stripping, it looks like your bolt cracked. If you install with the instructions the hoses should have come with (in the thread above) you can get the proper 30 ft-lb torque with no problem.

The Centric bolts are special and you can't buy replacements for them off the shelf. You should be able to call Centric, and they should be able to send you a new one. (You may have to berate them a bit for not giving the proper instructions.) - Talk to tech support.

Or, maybe you could return the hose and have it swapped for a new package as defective.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:24 PM
Launching!

Thanks, I could of sworn I had the hose orientation perpendicular to the caliper like mentioned in that thread, not running in the small caliper cutout. But it would have twisted that way during tightening. It was hard to tell as its very close.

After looking more closely at the stock banjo bolts and hoses, it doesn't appear you can use them unless you were to try stacking the hose crush washers or using a spacer to get the same offset as the stock hose because: A. the fluid hole in the stock banjo bolt might not line up correctly center hole of the Centric Hose.. and B. The stock bolts are longer and it appears using them with the Centric Hose (thinner head) the stock bolt will stick further into the caliper when screwed in, contacting the back of the piston. I doubt the piston would fully compress.

To add to the fun, I pulled the banjo bolt from the opposite side of the car that didn't break off just to cheap for stretching or cracks...and it seems the crush washers provided are tightly fitting and get crushed a lot more than normal...so much so that they get stuck on both sides of the banjo bolt and pretty hard to get off while on the car. I had to pry them off with a screwdriver which ended up gouging the sealing area.

.. never had such a hassle replacing the brake hoses... really wish I would of stuck with the OEM style hose and fitting cause these stainless lines were not worth the hassle.

The best part is I've tried contacting Centric multiple times now via their tech support tickets and have heard nothing back. Good thing I started an RMA with RA.

Last edited by j498; 10-02-2017 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:12 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by j498
After looking more closely at the stock banjo bolts and hoses, it doesn't appear you can use them unless you were to try stacking the hose crush washers or using a spacer to get the same offset as the stock hose because: A. the fluid hole in the stock banjo bolt might not line up correctly center hole of the Centric Hose.. and B. The stock bolts are longer and it appears using them with the Centric Hose (thinner head) the stock bolt will stick further into the caliper when screwed in, contacting the back of the piston.
Correct.

Originally Posted by j498
.. never had such a hassle replacing the brake hoses... really with I would of stuck with the OEM style hose and fitting cause these stainless lines were not worth the hassle.
I ended up feeling the same way after the one-size-fits-all treatment from Centric. However; I think going with Founders, who can support the product and the car would have been the best choice.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:43 PM
Launching!

Exclamation

Quick follow up:

I was able to get a hold of someone from Centric on the phone and explained the situation. I was told the Centric bolts are made from hex stock steel and not supposed to be torqued to 30 ft/lbs like the stock banjo bolts (harder steel). They are supposed be hand tightened to snug and then another 1/4 to 1/2 turn, Maybe 15 ft/lbs. Yes, this is exactly what they told me.

I told them how this isn't noted anywhere and there are no install instructions... they mentioned maybe including instructions in the future or at least considering it, but its a little late for all the kits already out there...

Anyway, they were not able to give me replacements but gave me a part number for the Centric banjo bolts. Centric part number 772.21707 (or 77221707), however I couldn't find these easily through any mainstream part houses.

So they also gave me part # 117.99014 (or 11799014), which is for a pack of two of the required banjo bolts. Rockauto has them for under $3, but does not list them for a specific car though. They have them under "Garage Equipment : Hardware", they don't even mention that they're banjo bolts, so you have to do a part number search to find them.

This site also has them in singles if needed:
https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/p...oducts_id=3469
Banjo bolt - M10x1.0 threads, 20mm shank, 29.5mm overall length for StopTech calipers

Hopefully this helps if anyone finds themselves in the same situation.
Attached Thumbnails Banjo Bolt Torque Specs - CENTRIC stainless brake hoses (950.62001)-banjo-bolts-centric-large-.jpg   Banjo Bolt Torque Specs - CENTRIC stainless brake hoses (950.62001)-rockauto-part-number.png  
Old 10-15-2017, 12:32 AM
Save the manuals!

Thanks. I'm not sure I'm buying that since the instructions I read with the hoses said to torque per the brake manufacturer's specs.

I think we have another reason to go with Founder's next time!
Old 10-15-2017, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

So....you bought a set of brake lines from Centric. The banjo bolts went to **** and THEY COULDN'T EVEN send you replacement bolts?????? WOW, I know the bolts are probably cheap but wow....
I bought mine from Founders as per everyone on this site.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:45 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2ToeRacing
So....you bought a set of brake lines from Centric. The banjo bolts went to **** and THEY COULDN'T EVEN send you replacement bolts?????? WOW, I know the bolts are probably cheap but wow....
I bought mine from Founders as per everyone on this site.
Yep, pretty much. I didn't try pushing it too hard, I didn't have the time or the patience to deal with it anymore. I wish I would of known about the founders lines before purchasing the centric's.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Banjo Bolt Torque Specs - CENTRIC stainless brake hoses (950.62001)