Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Which Is Better To Keep My Rotors From Rusting?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 04:10 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Which Is Better To Keep My Rotors From Rusting?

So I'm buying new rotors for my daily driver (not my Bird) and before I install them I was going to try to address the rusting issue that really seems to plaque this car. Specifically the ring hub and edge spokes. I know there not much you can do about the pad contact area.

It seems like people first paint their rotors non contact areas with a paint such as VHT caliper paint then use a VHT gloss to seal it.

My question is: Cant I just clean the rotors and then only use the gloss sealant on the original surface to preserve the color?

Or do I really have to buy a color that closely matches the rotors (like VHT cast aluminum) paint them and then gloss seal it.

It just seams like not using the paint and going straight to the gloss would prevent the rust and keep the color perfect as well.

Anyway, any thoughts on which is better if there is one?
Old 01-30-2018, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Spray the whole rotor with high heat paint and then let the pads scrub off the contact patch during a break in run
Old 01-30-2018, 08:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You would have to paint it with something that could withstand an extremely high level of heat and expansion. And even then, there is no way you'll be able to reach into the cooling fins between the inner and outer disk. I would suggest buying an enamel-coated set of disks. I have a full set of Centric Cryo-Treated rotors I bought from the TireRack, and they are really not that expensive. I'd been through a couple sets of warped rotors before that, and since they have been nothing but true and hold up well against Hawk HPS pads. There are also other brands which offer anodized/plated rotors if you prefer.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:44 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You would have to paint it with something that could withstand an extremely high level of heat and expansion
Thats kinda my question. The VHT clear coat is rated for Temperature 900°F (482°C). Its specifically designed for rotors and calipers.

I'm just wondering if I can skip the painting step and just seal it. Why do both if I'm not interested in trying to match colors and all that.

I guess I'm just going to try it and see how it goes. Its my daily driver and the sealant is cheap enough.

Thanks though.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went through the same thoughts, a number of years ago, when I replaced the rotors on my wife's then DD. I live in the "snow belt", where road salt is used all winter, so rusted rotors are common.

Sadly, I never found anything that would do the job. The issue, as I see it, is that you can't adequately get the spaces between the cooling vanes coated with some sort of paint or sealer. Therefore, while you MIGHT be able to get some of the surface covered with paint, the area you can't cover, will continue to rust, and in turn destroy the paint that you did manage to apply.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 161 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Majestic9C1
Spray the whole rotor with high heat paint and then let the pads scrub off the contact patch during a break in run
i will never by a fully painted rotor like the one u suggest again. got painted ones from a sponsor on here and my braking performance with the hawk hps pads weren't much better than stock, and i have a feeling its because the paint got "burned" into the pads and stayed there.

i have the centric rotors that were mentioned as well. strano carries them i think. if u search all over and configure shipping i believe they can be had as cheap as 60 each shipped. definitely the best bang for ur buck.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000FormulaMan
Thats kinda my question. The VHT clear coat is rated for Temperature 900°F (482°C). Its specifically designed for rotors and calipers.

I'm just wondering if I can skip the painting step and just seal it. Why do both if I'm not interested in trying to match colors and all that.

I guess I'm just going to try it and see how it goes. Its my daily driver and the sealant is cheap enough.

Thanks though.
As long as it's prepped well the sealant/clear coat will prevent rust.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Full disclosure, I've never used this product because I couldn't get my hands on it yet, but I've read about a Wurth product called SBS Brake Treatment that's basically an aluminized spray for brakes. I believe they market it as a product to reduce brake noise by evening the braking surface, but it also leaves a nice aluminum finish everywhere. Since it's meant for the braking surface (as opposed to a paint) then you just spray the whole thing.

The only downside is it's a "dealer/wholesale" only product. Which is why I don't have any yet . You'll have to know or find a shop that has a Wurth account that can order it.

Quick Reply: Which Is Better To Keep My Rotors From Rusting?