Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni STRs & spring seat

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 06:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koni STRs & spring seat

Anyone know if the current Koni STRs (fronts) have a re-designed spring seat. Earlier ones, like 2 yrs ago. the spring seat was too small in diameter to accommodate
spring isolators without grinding down the isolators! Talked to their Tech Dept back then and they said they would fix it? So...………………..??
Old 05-29-2018, 07:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts

Im curious about that too. I’m getting ready to order my Strano/Koni setup tomorrow and have been researching the Monroe perch and isolator.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99Silver6.0
Im curious about that too. I’m getting ready to order my Strano/Koni setup tomorrow and have been researching the Monroe perch and isolator.
Wont work. Tried it 2 yrs ago. Same problem. Looking for a more friendly shock to work with. Think Strano would have a better work around by now as hard as he pushes STRs.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by chuckclanton
Wont work. Tried it 2 yrs ago. Same problem. Looking for a more friendly shock to work with. Think Strano would have a better work around by now as hard as he pushes STRs.
That’s good to know. I’d buy the Bilsteins HD’s if the dam things were in stock anywhere.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought and installed the STR.Ts about 4 months ago and the seats were still a touch too small for the Moog isolators.

However it was a very minor inconvenience. I used a bench grinder (could have been any tool really) and just had to grind a hair off each isolator. Took me all of 5 minutes extra work to make them both fit.

I'm not trying to push ir pump the Konis, just saying I wouldn't let it dissuade me from buying them if they're what you want and the price is right .
Old 05-30-2018, 07:03 AM
Teching In

That’s good to know. I’d buy the Bilsteins HD’s if the dam things were in stock anywhere.
With them you have to come up with a spring seat!
Old 05-30-2018, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 97 Likes on 86 Posts

I ordered a set Monroe #904962, the isolators fit into the Koni seats with zero modification.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by biketopia
I ordered a set Monroe #904962, the isolators fit into the Koni seats with zero modification.
Guess I need to look back into those again then. Is it better to just call Stranos shop number? Ive sent a few emails regarding various info and havent gotten any replies.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

I got my stuff second hand from the forum, all was new, but second hand. The Konis were missing the hardware and seats, (guy misplaced the bags) called up koni and they sent me a new set for $22 last spring. Ordered the isolators in July and mounted up everything in September with no mods needed. What are you trying to find out from Sam? I think most people have found it good to call him though.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:41 AM
TECH Veteran

I got my stuff second hand from the forum, all was new, but second hand. The Konis were missing the hardware and seats, (guy misplaced the bags) called up koni and they sent me a new set for $22 last spring. Ordered the isolators in July and mounted up everything in September with no mods needed. What are you trying to find out from Sam? I think most people have found it good to call him though.
Wanted to pick his brain on some of the info I saw about guys getting a lot of bottoming out with their shocks. Didnt know if that was a fairly isolated thing or not. Just dont want to run into any issues once all is installed on my car. Dont want to go from a problem free setup to something thats going to be giving me headaches or bottoming out through heavy bumps. I also was wanting to see what they had for stock before I ordered.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ahh fair enough. I have Str.t up front and koni yellows out back, again forum score. I don't get any bottoming out issues on the strano springs and my bump stops are non existent. I from time to time get a thud on the passenger side, but I'm 99% sure that it's my exhaust hitting. I cut up a kit and fabbed it to fit myself so it's not exactly as great as it could be. I just sprayed some paint on it the other day to see if I get any witness marks but haven't heard the noise either.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:51 AM
Teching In

Okay. Koni's coming along with the Monroe isolators. hope you are right about the fit on the isolator.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Finally caved and just placed the order for my Stranos/STR.t's. Iill get the Monroe isolators ordered too.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:32 AM
Teching In

Okay. Koni's coming along with the Monroe isolators. hope you are right about the fit on the isolator.
YES the Monroe isolators fit perfectly! Just got them in. Seems I tried this combo a few years ago and was no better than the Moog isolator. Seems
Koni followed thru with their promise to fix the issue? Anyway, no more grinding!
Old 06-03-2018, 10:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I got my Stranos/str.t's the first of the year and bought all my moog stuff from rock auto. I had to grind VERY little for the koni isolator. I could have done it with a file. They worked good but I ended up buying the UMI/ stranos coil overs, I like them better. I think anything aftermarket needs some fitting, that's what makes it fun. O make sure you order the RUBBER bump stops. The poly ones are way to hard
Old 06-03-2018, 05:46 PM
TECH Veteran

YES the Monroe isolators fit perfectly! Just got them in. Seems I tried this combo a few years ago and was no better than the Moog isolator. Seems
Koni followed thru with their promise to fix the issue? Anyway, no more grinding!
So, you just used the Monroe isolator and not the perch right?
Old 06-04-2018, 05:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, you have to use the perch that comes with the Koni's
Old 06-04-2018, 06:50 AM
Teching In

Yes. Fits perfect in the Koni supplied seat.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Yes. Fits perfect in the Koni supplied seat.
Sounds good!