Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Help Diagnosing ABS/ASR Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 11:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help Diagnosing ABS/ASR Issue

Hey guys, I’ve been having an issue with the ABS and ASR systems on my ’02 Camaro, and I’m finally wanting to try and tackle it, but not sure exactly where to start. The ASR OFF/ABS INOP lights have been on about 6 years now, and started after I finished my heads/cam build. When I hook up my OBD scanner, I get four codes: Three wheel speed sensor low voltage codes, and one for the ABS block itself. If I clear these codes, as soon as I turn the key back on, they immediately reappear, even without the car moving.

I’ve researched this issue for years, and it seems that a lot of the time the fault is caused by the ABS block or BCM being bad. However, I don’t think that’s my issue because my car has only 38k miles on it, and I have a hard time believing all of that stuff just went bad randomly at the same time I had the engine bay torn up.. I feel like something is unplugged or loose somewhere and I just can’t find it. Also, all the other threads where replacing the block/module was solution, the OP also was also getting a BRAKE warning light. I’m not.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can look for a loose ground, a disconnected plug, or maybe a cut wire? Maybe suggestions on tests I can do to check for voltage somewhere? Literally ANY suggestions will be extremely appreciated, especially if you can point me towards a good wiring diagram.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:53 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I don't think anyone will be able to give you much help here without insight to the codes you are seeing.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by wssix99
I don't think anyone will be able to give you much help here without insight to the codes you are seeing.
Yeah, unfortunately I don’t remember the codes as I scanned it awhile ago. I’ll see if I can get it scanned again tomorrow.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:10 PM
11 Second Club

Ok, update..

My code scanner no longer works. No clue why, but I’m not able to pull codes anymore. I called around, and the only shop that will scan them said it’s $129 each scan. No thanks..

I tried some stuff today, but no luck so far. I unplugged the ABS module itself, and that turned on the BRAKE and SERVICE VEHICLE warning lights as well. I cleaned the connector and put it back, ASR/ABS lights still on. I tried cleaning the ground on the driver front strut tower, again, no luck. Next, I tried cleaning the ground on the drivers front rad support. I had no luck here, but interestingly, when I left it unhooked, no other warning lights came on the dash. Not sure if this means anything, though.

Finally, I was messing around on the passenger side, and noticed that on the side of my ASR module, there’s a little silver ground type thing on this plug attached to a push pin that isn’t contacting anything. Can anyone with ASR check their car, and tell me if this looks normal?

Last edited by 02DroptopZ; 06-26-2018 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-27-2018, 07:28 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by 02DroptopZ
My code scanner no longer works. No clue why, but I’m not able to pull codes anymore.
The fuse for your OBDII port could be blown.

Old 07-01-2018, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can buy this scanner for $100. Among other things it does read ABS codes, I bought it to get mine.

Amazon Amazon
Old 07-01-2018, 10:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

My local gm dealer will pull codes for like 40 bucks. Get the exact codes and I can email u the troubleshoot from my service manual
Old 07-08-2018, 04:49 PM
Teching In

the plug needs to be connected at ASR for sure, also did you drop the K member when you did your head / cam work? I just did rebuild on my 2000 and after reconnecting brake lines I had same lights come up. I had noticed when bleedings brake that I really wasn't seeing air on the left side. I re blead brakes really good and still had lights on dash lit till with car running removed 25 amp abs fuse then reinstalled switch car off and back on all lights cleared hope this some how helps. I never had a problem until I un hooked brake lines to drop K-member.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:25 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by wssix99
The fuse for your OBDII port could be blown.
It's my OBD interface that’s the issue. I’m using an old WiFi ELM327, and it won’t pair with my iPhone X. I have an old iPod touch that it will pair with, as that’s what I’d used to pull and clear the codes years ago, but unfortunately I didn’t think to bring it with me.

Originally Posted by Floorman279
My local gm dealer will pull codes for like 40 bucks. Get the exact codes and I can email u the troubleshoot from my service manual
Thank you, I’ll definitely do that next time I’m by the car!

Originally Posted by rgfast
the plug needs to be connected at ASR for sure, also did you drop the K member when you did your head / cam work? I just did rebuild on my 2000 and after reconnecting brake lines I had same lights come up. I had noticed when bleedings brake that I really wasn't seeing air on the left side. I re blead brakes really good and still had lights on dash lit till with car running removed 25 amp abs fuse then reinstalled switch car off and back on all lights cleared hope this some how helps. I never had a problem until I un hooked brake lines to drop K-member.
I didn’t, but that’s a good thought. My pedal has gotten really spongy over the years, couldn’t hurt to try bleeding it and seeing what happens. As for the plug, yeah I unplugged that to take the picture. There’s a little metal.. Clip? Ground? Something, with a push pin going through it that’s loose that’s attached to the harness in the picture. I was just trying to determine if that’s a ground or something important. Long shot, but it’s the only thing I could see.

Thanks all for the suggestions. Unfortunately the car is at my parents place in Ohio and I live in AZ now, so I only had like a week to work on it.. I’ll update this thread next time I’m able to work on the car (October) and I’ll try and get those codes. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Quick Reply: Help Diagnosing ABS/ASR Issue