Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Smoother Tide.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 06:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoother Tide.

I have a 2002 Trans am, WS6, want a smoother ride, which is the best shock? also, is anything else can be done to improve the ride quality? Thanks.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Probably bilstiens for stock springs for best/smoothest ride. Make sure your tires are not over inflated (shoundn't be higher than 32psi), and all your rubber bushings are not dry rotted. Is there anything done to the car?
Old 07-24-2018, 06:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wrong forum for tide's ( I like Thehulltruth for that kinda stuff) but as far as ride goes, its an Fbody so you aren't going to get Cadillac ride out of it. I have Koni STR.T shocks and Strano's springs and I absolutely love the ride. Its crisp but not harsh and handles like it should from the factory. If you want it better than stock you need to sell the car and get a cts-v or G8 Gt...something heavier.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:44 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rocknga
I have a 2002 Trans am, WS6, want a smoother ride, which is the best shock? also, is anything else can be done to improve the ride quality? Thanks.
We had Bilsteins on our 2002 when it had the stock springs and it felt pretty smooth. For a budget I'm liking the Koni STR.T's. They're more firm than stock but definitely daily driver worthy.

ramey
Old 07-31-2018, 12:57 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Nothing better for the improvement of ride than better shocks. Bilstien's are nice, but the fronts have been on a long, long backorder. I have a pair of rears here, and fronts are supposedly due in mid-August. STR.T's are the thing most commonly used. They are in more ready stock and cost less too. And the price is more appealing to many too.

But at this point *almost* any shock you could use would be better that old worn out stock shocks that blew from the start of their life.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 08-01-2018, 12:43 AM
Teching In

I recently attempted to purchase a set of SLP Billsteins from WS6 Store to replace the ones in my Firehawk. They contacted me the next day and told me that they were in contact with SLP and they have discontinued those shocks altogether. WS6 Store pulled them from the website and I ended up going with Koni STR.Ts. I like the shocks but I was bummed I couldn't get correct replacements.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Ace2717
I recently attempted to purchase a set of SLP Billsteins from WS6 Store to replace the ones in my Firehawk. They contacted me the next day and told me that they were in contact with SLP and they have discontinued those shocks altogether. WS6 Store pulled them from the website and I ended up going with Koni STR.Ts. I like the shocks but I was bummed I couldn't get correct replacements.
What kind of difference did you notice between the bilstein's and STR.Ts? Did you stick with the eibach variable rate springs (part of the level 2 suspension package on the hawks)?
Old 08-01-2018, 06:09 PM
Teching In

TBH it would be difficult for me to give you a good answer. When I bought my car the control arm bushings were shot and the passenger side shock was leaking. When I replaced the shocks I also installed UMI control arms. I kept the variable rate springs, and currently I love the way it drives. Feels tight and responsive, but not jarring.

Quick Reply: Smoother Tide.