Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Help Needed...Shocks pulled through strut mounts???

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 01:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help Needed...Shocks pulled through strut mounts???

Front shocks pulled through the strut mounts. I noticed the car moving/bouncing a bit too much while driving. Just didn't feel right so I pulled over and saw that both sides (Driver & Passenger) of the front shocks were "pulled out" or pulled through the strut mounts. Had to get the car towed off definitely didn't look safe enough for me to make it home so had the car towed to the speed shop where they were installed. This is a very reputable shop, very well known and they have always done great work. I posted photos and to me it seems as though these were not installed properly. I don't see how the shocks can pull through the strut mounts IF they used a plate before screwing down the nut? Does anyone have any opinions on this or experience as to why this happened? is it safe to say these were not installed properly as I mentioned? I'm asking because if these were improperly installed I'm not sure I should be accountable for the tab to fix/replace the issue at hand. Any Opinions out there fellas???

Old 09-13-2018, 05:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's definitely safe to say they did not install them properly. This is a breakdown of how it should be installed....

Old 09-13-2018, 09:53 AM
Staging Lane

Kind of makes me sick, this is a high horsepowered car. I hit at least 140mph on the highway few weeks ago doing a couple rolls. Can’t imagine the outcome if that happened during one of those pulls. I probably wouldn’t be here typing this message. I guess I should bring this up to them if they try to hand me a bill for the tow and repair.

Originally Posted by Platinum WS6
It's definitely safe to say they did not install them properly. This is a breakdown of how it should be installed....

Old 09-13-2018, 04:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

this guy owes you a complete rebuild Free of charge to say the least. This is why I do my own work. Seems like he forgot something on both sides. I feel for ya, I just can't stand shabby work. You say he is reputable, I think he is far from competent.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I definitely believe that, unless something failed on both sides, the mech is responsible for making this right. I agree with above, they need to rebuild this and fix any other damage that occurred.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Looks to me like they left 51/52/53 ish out..
Old 09-13-2018, 08:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your mechanic did not install
THIS PIECE THIS PIECE
- the shock mount insulator. It is placed between top bolt+washer and the strut mount.

What happened to you is exactly what happens when the insulator is left out; the shock pulls the metal sleeve out of the strut mount because the insulator is not there to keep it from doing just that. If you search on this forum you will find the exact same issue with pictures.

At least you weren't injured when the inevitable happened. This is a critical component and since we're dealing with front suspension that is a huge oversight on the mechanics part in my opinion.

EDIT: The picture posted by Platinum seems to have 52 and 53 in the wrong order, they should be swapped. The insulator (if thats actually what 52 is) needs to be between the strut mount (53) and the shock nut (54) .

Last edited by FormulaJoe; 09-14-2018 at 03:22 AM.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:57 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

The link above doesn't go to the correct piece. To clarify what FormulaJoe has correctly stated, there is a steel plate in the upper shock mount. If this is missing, then what happened to you is inevitable, as he stated. I have read on here that some aftermarket upper mounts do not include the steel plate. If your installer used such a product, then there is your problem. The nut on the shock shaft has nothing to clamp onto, and the shaft will simply rip through the soft rubber mount.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:57 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the advice and explanation. I didn’t want to just got out and say it’s the shops fault etc... but that’s what it seems to be... they have always done great work, I think maybe this was just a rare mistake on their part. Either way I’ve communicated all suggestions/theories with shop owner just hoping he does the right thing and takes responsibility. Thanks for the help guys

Originally Posted by FormulaJoe
Your mechanic did not install THIS PIECE - the shock mount insulator. It is placed between top bolt+washer and the strut mount.

What happened to you is exactly what happens when the insulator is left out; the shock pulls the metal sleeve out of the strut mount because the insulator is not there to keep it from doing just that. If you search on this forum you will find the exact same issue with pictures.

At least you weren't injured when the inevitable happened. This is a critical component and since we're dealing with front suspension that is a huge oversight on the mechanics part in my opinion.

EDIT: The picture posted by Platinum seems to have 52 and 53 in the wrong order, they should be swapped. The insulator (if thats actually what 52 is) needs to be between the strut mount (53) and the shock nut (54) .
Old 09-14-2018, 03:25 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I changed the link to a different supplier, but it is the same part that I had linked earlier - which is what was missing in the OPs case.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FormulaJoe
Your mechanic did not install THIS PIECE - the shock mount insulator. It is placed between top bolt+washer and the strut mount.

Yea I went back and looked at the break down, its not in order. I remember removing that plate and using it again when I swapped my shocks out. When you are assembling them in person you know exactly what needs to go where in order for it to be installed correctly so I'm really unsure how the mechanic didn't see an issue with a plate or anything being in place to keep the top of the shock from falling into the tower?
Old 09-19-2018, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

what did the shop end up doing for you
Old 09-19-2018, 05:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bleepster
what did the shop end up doing for you
shop still has it... they are replacing strut mounts, shocks and ensuring they are installed correctly. They ordered all parts, all parts just arrived today so it should be fixed soon. Kind of upset that they are not jumping on it, my guess is I’ll have my car back next week and have to look for another shop soon.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This exact thing happened to me once, it was one of a few bad experiences I had very early in my life as a car enthusiast that made me realize one very simple thing;

Stop letting people work in your car. Do it yourself. No excuses. I don’t care how much money you have or how lazy you are - do your own work or forever expect **** like this to happen - possibly endangering your life in the process.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:16 PM
Staging Lane

Does anyone have a part number for the strut mount "plates" that are used when you replace factory strut mounts. we used KYB strut mounts and they did not come with the plates to secure or prevent this from happening?
Old 09-24-2018, 10:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,786 Likes on 1,293 Posts

How's the condition of that steel plate where the strut is bolted to. I've seen them rusted and pitted to the point where I would not want to reuse them. Also does anyone know if there are any aftermarkets out?
Old 09-24-2018, 11:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
How's the condition of that steel plate where the strut is bolted to. I've seen them rusted and pitted to the point where I would not want to reuse them. Also does anyone know if there are any aftermarkets out?
...couldn’t reuse massive corrosion on a nearly 20yr old car
Old 09-25-2018, 05:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sundevils05
Does anyone have a part number for the strut mount "plates" that are used when you replace factory strut mounts. we used KYB strut mounts and they did not come with the plates to secure or prevent this from happening?
are you referring to part #3 in the diagram above? If so I believe that there are aftermarket pieces out there.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1121
are you referring to part #3 in the diagram above? If so I believe that there are aftermarket pieces out there.
think im referring to #53? #3 is the strut mount I believe. #53 is a steel plate that prevents the shock from pulling out...#53 should go before the nut is applied, similar to a washer effect.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,786 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally Posted by Sundevils05

...couldn’t reuse massive corrosion on a nearly 20yr old car
I'm fixing to be tearing down a 99 V-6 car and I'm sure the plates will be rusted as well. I suppose they could be repaired with some fab work but my bet is there are some out there on Ebay.