Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Looking for a decent ride shock with my hotchkis springs

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 10:28 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a decent ride shock with my hotchkis springs

I've been searching forums and trying to figure out a reasonable priced shock to run with these springs. Currently have stock shocks and its not good. Read some places slp bilstein are good but then strano says no. If you have some input please be specific on the shocks. I have lt1 car with ls springs with lower the car a little extra in the front. I like the stance just not the ride.

Last edited by chopperdave90; 11-08-2018 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Define 'just not the ride'. Too soft,too hard,too bouncy ???
Old 11-08-2018, 11:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Monroe. Sears will set you straight.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
Define 'just not the ride'. Too soft,too hard,too bouncy ???
the shocks are wore out bad. Soft af
Old 11-08-2018, 02:31 PM
Staging Lane

Just looking for some shocks that work well with the hotchkis springs. Looking to avoid the buyers remorse. Not racing the car. Just want it to ride good.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:57 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by chopperdave90
I've been searching forums and trying to figure out a reasonable priced shock to run with these springs. Currently have stock shocks and its not good. Read some places slp bilstein are good but then strano says no. If you have some input please be specific on the shocks. I have lt1 car with ls springs with lower the car a little extra in the front. I like the stance just not the ride.
Can you tell me specifically where I said "no"? In no way would I tell you that SLP Bilstein's would not be better than worn out stock stuff. And I don't recall talking to anyone about this, with those springs recently anyway. I think there are better options, for performance (Koni Sport) or price and warranty (Koni STR.T), which is why I have both in the building right now.

It if very, very hard to keep track of everything I have said over the last 20 years. It is impossible to know what I said that has been taken out of context, which happens a lot, a LOT, as folks peruse old threads. And things change with time. There are shocks available now that weren't before, and vice-versa.

If you want help with this, just call me. Trust me, it's far better than assuming I meant something I didn't, or took something I did say out of context.

Between the warranty, and the cost, and the rebate I would put you on Koni STR.T. They are in stock in my shop, right now. If you have questions, happy to discuss.

Sam
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 11-08-2018, 06:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

Just looking for some shocks that work well with the hotchkis springs. Looking to avoid the buyers remorse. Not racing the car. Just want it to ride good.
When I bought my Camaro the previous owner had fitted eibach lowered springs front and back and the white KYB gas-adjust shocks all sides. At first I wasn't familiar with these shocks so I assumed they were adjustable lol (because of the name on them) but they're not.

Having riden and driven another Camaro with stock springs and shocks, mine its night/day difference better in every way. KYB makes a very decent affordable shock, imo better than Monroe or other cheaper brands.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:28 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

KYB is one of the many brands I carry. But their warranty support is crap, and in no way does a Gas-A-Just compare to a Koni STR.T or Bilstein. Even at that, *THEY* are better than stock.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

Yes they're not as good as koni's or bilsteins. I've had Koni reds in the past in other cars so I know how good they are. But the cheap KYB's hold the road and ride and handle significantly better than stock 15+ year old shocks.. that I know for sure.

If I had to buy new shocks for ride/handling, I'd go koni's straight up. With the effort involved to fit them especially the fronts there's no point doing things twice.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:43 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Agreed, better than stock. Almost anything is to be honest. No argument. And you have to understand that folks love to take things I say and make different things out of them, so I have to be pretty specific in an effort to make sure there are no misunderstandings. If I said "yes, the KYB's are better than stock" and left it at that, then I get folks calling or getting on forums, etc claiming that I said they are as good as something else, and so on.

No issue from me on anything you said.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Can you tell me specifically where I said "no"? In no way would I tell you that SLP Bilstein's would not be better than worn out stock stuff. And I don't recall talking to anyone about this, with those springs recently anyway. I think there are better options, for performance (Koni Sport) or price and warranty (Koni STR.T), which is why I have both in the building right now.

It if very, very hard to keep track of everything I have said over the last 20 years. It is impossible to know what I said that has been taken out of context, which happens a lot, a LOT, as folks peruse old threads. And things change with time. There are shocks available now that weren't before, and vice-versa.

If you want help with this, just call me. Trust me, it's far better than assuming I meant something I didn't, or took something I did say out of context.

Between the warranty, and the cost, and the rebate I would put you on Koni STR.T. They are in stock in my shop, right now. If you have questions, happy to discuss.

Sam
Good to hear from you Sam. Maybe no was a harsh word. It was an old post and you had just said it was not your first choice or your second. I have been searching for posts about the shocks people use and they are few and far between. Which is the reason I called you today but ended up playing phone tag with ya.I just would like to get a shock that i wont regret buying and even more installing. I am also unsure of my decision to put the ls springs in the LT1 car. Do you think this is an issue and should change? I really appreciate your advice and look forward to doing some business with you.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:42 AM
Staging Lane

I think the Koni Str'ts are probably the best shock out there for the money and like everyone has mentioned, miles better than stock. I have Str'ts and Strano's springs and the ride quality is definitely daily driveable and of course makes the car way more fun to drive. Tires make a big difference also.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:43 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Good to hear from you Sam. Maybe no was a harsh word. It was an old post and you had just said it was not your first choice or your second. I have been searching for posts about the shocks people use and they are few and far between. Which is the reason I called you today but ended up playing phone tag with ya.I just would like to get a shock that i wont regret buying and even more installing. I am also unsure of my decision to put the ls springs in the LT1 car. Do you think this is an issue and should change? I really appreciate your advice and look forward to doing some business with you.
Ah, this must be Dave? I think you're it in out game of phone tag.

Call me back happy to discuss. As a reminder, this is what I do best. Not give the easy answer (which is faster and some folks like) but the honest one. Takes more time but in the end everyone is happier with the result, and hopefully send out earned recommendations for my business.

814 849 3450.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I learned the hard way. Went from stock set-up to Eibach Pro-Kit with cheap Gabriel shocks because I just wanted to be lowered. Ride was absolutely horrible and it got to the point I didn't even want to drive the car. I couldn't stand it any longer and saved up and finally went with Strano springs and his Koni 4/3 adjustable shock set up. I LOVE the adjustable shocks. On full soft, the car rides almost stock, but I can firm it up to whatever I want. I eventually added Strano's bigger hollow sway bars as well as some other chasis stiffening mods and now I have a great handling F-Body! But, I ended up lowering my car twice and lost money when I eventually sold the Eibach's and shocks in separate transactions...