Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

ABS/TCS woes, BCM or EBCM? What else??

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 03:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default ABS/TCS woes, BCM or EBCM? What else??

Got and issue with the ABS/TCS/BRAKE lights always being on and I'm running out of ideas. It is a 4-channel car. This is my WIFE's car and I want to fix this for her and her safety.

I have tried to scan the ABS codes, but I get a "cannot communicate error"

So far I have:
Checked all fuses
Replaced burned out 3rd brake light bulb
Cleaned grounds related to ABS Block(EBCM)
Replaced EBCM with known good 4 channel EBCM
Cleaned connections to ABS sensors front and rear
Cleaned reluctor wheels and sensors on rear axle

Where do I go from here? Does the BCM under the dash have anything to do with the ABS/TCS? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Jon

Old 01-09-2019, 06:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

How many miles? Replaced front hubs? Not sure if they can "go bad" as far as ABS, but when racing I have gotten ABS issues from really taxing the car. But mine usually cleared up after turning it off and later starting it up again. Just a thought.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

185k, I've got a spare set of good hubs. I guess I could try that.

The lights come on as you start the car (along with the rwrest the lights on the cluster), then they go off and then come back on and stay on.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 130 Posts

by no means am i mechanic, but anytime i have had an abs issue with these cars (twice) both times i was able to learn a lot by getting live data from the wheel speed sensors.

the first i went to my small town chevy dealer who plugged in the tech 2 and just drove around........

the second time my small town shop who i get favors from from time to time (no idea why he is so nice) hooked up his generic garage tablet to it, and we drove watching the sensors. i saw that periodically all my wheels read 0 for a split second. i did have 2 codes tho and basically knew that i checked the grounds, and that it had to be a bad module. replaced module, issue fixed.

seeing if they are reading at all will get you started since you dont have codes, but i would say if your sensors areent saying anything you definitely have a wire issue somewhere. last i looked at a wiring diagram for the 4 channel basically all wires go solely to abs related components or the fuse box....then a few to the dash for warning lights. i do believe 1 goes to the pcm but that is just to tell the PCM to pull timing in a wheel slip.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Floorman279
by no means am i mechanic, but anytime i have had an abs issue with these cars (twice) both times i was able to learn a lot by getting live data from the wheel speed sensors.

the first i went to my small town chevy dealer who plugged in the tech 2 and just drove around........

the second time my small town shop who i get favors from from time to time (no idea why he is so nice) hooked up his generic garage tablet to it, and we drove watching the sensors. i saw that periodically all my wheels read 0 for a split second. i did have 2 codes tho and basically knew that i checked the grounds, and that it had to be a bad module. replaced module, issue fixed.

seeing if they are reading at all will get you started since you dont have codes, but i would say if your sensors areent saying anything you definitely have a wire issue somewhere. last i looked at a wiring diagram for the 4 channel basically all wires go solely to abs related components or the fuse box....then a few to the dash for warning lights. i do believe 1 goes to the pcm but that is just to tell the PCM to pull timing in a wheel slip.
I've got plenty of personal and professional experience, and I think I have done everything except tracing individual wires. I'm asking to make sure I'm not missing something stupid and also if there was a common fix for the "no communication" error.

It's not that I don't have codes, my ABS scanner simply cannot establish a connection with the ebcm.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by blk99camaro
I've got plenty of personal and professional experience, and I think I have done everything except tracing individual wires. I'm asking to make sure I'm not missing something stupid and also if there was a common fix for the "no communication" error.

It's not that I don't have codes, my ABS scanner simply cannot establish a connection with the ebcm.
thats what im saying, i had codes to go off of, you dont, we both know there is a code. id imagine you have no communication because your ebcm isn't working due to a wire/power issue. thats why i recommended the live date, but i just realized you probably wont be able to read those even if they were working since you have no communication. i would start chasing power wires. i would send you a diagram but my disc is scratched and wont load
Old 01-09-2019, 09:17 PM
TECH Junkie

basically i was going with, if you could see that your wheel speed sensors arent working, then you know you have a huge issue with the EBCM, which you already replaced telling us if that module u replaced it with was known as good, then you have a car issue.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Floorman279
basically i was going with, if you could see that your wheel speed sensors arent working, then you know you have a huge issue with the EBCM, which you already replaced telling us if that module u replaced it with was known as good, then you have a car issue.
Yes, the ebcm came off of a car I did an abs delete on and it was functional when I removed it not long ago.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:44 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

I would stop and try another scan tool first to see if the communication problem is one with your tool and not the car.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wssix99
I would stop and try another scan tool first to see if the communication problem is one with your tool and not the car.
I should have added, that has already been done as well and same result.