Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear brakes on a 98+ 4th gen that don't use drum ebrake

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

if it were me, I'd at least try to get the factory parking brake to work before ripping the whole system out for lt1 rear brakes, your cable probably just needs to be adjusted would be my guess. worst case you need new shoes (i would tend to doubt that) then get another set of calipers and to the dual caliper hydro setup on top of that
Old 05-15-2019, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 00PewterSS
I wouldn't mess with it and just keep the stock parking brake... up to you.

It is easy to remove TCS. You just remove the module and replace the throttle cable. The tricky part is the throttle cable with cruise control isn't available so you need to get it from the junk yard. If you don't care about cruise, new cables are available, I just got one.
Were you able to keep ABS?
Old 05-15-2019, 11:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hokeplaya05
if it were me, I'd at least try to get the factory parking brake to work before ripping the whole system out for lt1 rear brakes, your cable probably just needs to be adjusted would be my guess. worst case you need new shoes (i would tend to doubt that) then get another set of calipers and to the dual caliper hydro setup on top of that
I'm pretty sure it needs new pads or there's no pads at all. It doesn't even make any noise or any resistance with the parking brake all the way up. And I need to replace the spring or little arm because every once in a while it will pop off of the gear that rotates back. Well see, I gotta get it up and check it out. Do you know anyone that makes a dual caliper bracket?
Old 05-15-2019, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Duncan motors makes dual caliper brackets and lines, not sure if you can get calipers or the handbrake itself from them too or not but that's who i was planning on getting the brackets from
Old 05-15-2019, 12:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by KissMyTushZ28
Were you able to keep ABS?
Yeah, it doesn't affect the ABS system at all. I pulled the fuse for TCS a long time ago, just recently removed the module.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Duncan motors makes dual caliper brackets and lines, not sure if you can get calipers or the handbrake itself from them too or not but that's who i was planning on getting the brackets from
Ok awesome. And the lines and handbrake I plan to source from GKTech, check them out, awesome stuff especially their race ramps. What calipers do you have in mind to use with the dual caliper setup?
Old 05-16-2019, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

i am going to use 98-02 calipers as that is what his brackets are made to fit, was originally going to use them to swap to ls1 rear brakes but i decided it wasn't worth it. got the calipers (and the rest of the components) used off this forum last year

i know the gktech stuff, they are big in the drifting world for budget angle kits for 350z's and stuff like that
Old 05-16-2019, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i am going to use 98-02 calipers as that is what his brackets are made to fit, was originally going to use them to swap to ls1 rear brakes but i decided it wasn't worth it. got the calipers (and the rest of the components) used off this forum last year

i know the gktech stuff, they are big in the drifting world for budget angle kits for 350z's and stuff like that
Awesome so I'd just need another pair of rear calipers for my car right?

And yeah they do but they also have DIY hydro handbrake kits with lots of brackets and options to make it work in just about anything. And lines too.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KissMyTushZ28
Awesome so I'd just need another pair of rear calipers for my car right?
yessir
Old 05-27-2019, 01:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright so CTSV brakes also use the drum style parking brake. So I guess I'll have to just fix these for now and then add the second caliper set for a hydraulic handbrake.