Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

BMR torque arm relocation help

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 10:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMR torque arm relocation help

Can anyone help or point me out to a good thread with step by step on how to install the BMR relocation crossmember? (ive searched) i spent all day today trying to get it in and couldn't because i couldn't figure out how to move the torque arm down to bolt the bracket to the crossmember plate.

The car is jacked up in the front and supported by the axel tubes in the back. I have the crossmember loosely bolted up at the 4 corners and transmount and the bracket is attached to the bushing with the open side facing the driver side, so the arrangement if looking from the back of the car is crossmember plate--metal spacer--bushing bracket--tailshaft.

The car is an auto so im not sure if i even have the bracket on the right side of the plate now because ive read some contradicting info.

Please help, i need to have the car back on the road by monday.
thanks.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey buddy. It sounds like the front of the tq arm is too high & you can't get it down to the mounting plate. I think I may have it. So it says the rear is supported by the axle tubes. Thinking jack stands under the rear end. This may be what's causing the problem. Try jacking the rear of the car up, by pumpkin of rear end, & taking the jack stands out from under the rear & put them under the body. Let the rear end hang & this should make it able to pull the tq arm down to the mounting position.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,786 Likes on 1,293 Posts

↑↑↑↑↑My thoughts exactly↑↑↑↑↑

Yeah the TQ arm can be a PITA and you have to jack up the rear end to aid you in getting it into position.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:36 PM
11 Second Club

Basically get the car on jack stands and use your floor jack to jack up the rear end to aid in getting the damn thing lined up.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:36 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for the reply. ill try letting the rear end hang. im still unsure of the position of the bushing bracket on the mounting plate though. should the open side of the bracket be facing the driver side with the plate closing it off on the left (looking from the rear of the car) or should the open side of the bracket face the passanger side with the mounting pate closing it off on the right side? _ ]_ or _[ _ sorry i dont know how to depict it better.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:48 PM
11 Second Club

Well you don't want it to just hang either. You will need a floor jack under the rear diff. to jack up the rear and help you get the torque are into place. If it's like what I have from BMR the torque arm and the bushing bracket goes on the side toward the transmission and bolts to the cross member.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:53 PM
11 Second Club

The opened side of the bracket face should be facing toward the driver side and the mounting plate goes on the opened side of the bracket between the poly bushing and the cross member. .
Old 04-13-2019, 11:58 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for all the responses guys. ill definitely support it on the frame and use the jack on the differential.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:43 AM
Staging Lane

you know, i have the bmr torque arm sitting, i was trying to do one project at a time but would it make sense to just remove the stock torque arm, pre-assemble the relocation crossmember and new torque arm and just try to put everything up all at once? or would that be harder cuz of the combined weight?
Old 04-17-2019, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

is your stock torque arm still on the car while your trying to install the aftermarket one?? Jack up car, support under frame, let rear hang free, remove TA from trans, remove bolts at diff, remove stock TA. Install relocation bracket, place new TA on rear, pull down rear end yoke to get TA over rear, install bolts, pull down on TA to align on relocation bracket, tighten everything up.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by biketopia
is your stock torque arm still on the car while your trying to install the aftermarket one?? Jack up car, support under frame, let rear hang free, remove TA from trans, remove bolts at diff, remove stock TA. Install relocation bracket, place new TA on rear, pull down rear end yoke to get TA over rear, install bolts, pull down on TA to align on relocation bracket, tighten everything up.
Thanks for your input. I managed to get the relocation bracket in on Sunday. But I chose not to install the new torque arm because I didn't want to add to any potential problems and the car needed to be ready for Monday. I'll save your instructions though for when I take on the torque arm.

On side note, I was only able to get the mount on the 4th home from the bottom. I was just happy to be able to mount it. I know stock is supposed to be 3rd from the bottom, is there any danger in having it on the fourth hole at stock spring height?

I also seem to have lost the ability to place a socket on the trans mount nut because there's no clearance when everything is mounted up. I had to use a wrench to tighten up the trans mount nut. Is this normal?