Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

S60 torque arm rear fitment

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S60 torque arm rear fitment

Hey guys, I recently installed an s60 rear and driveshaft into my Camaro and a UMI torque arm. The torque arm driver side bolts that mount the torque arm to the rear are hitting the body. (Red arrow in picture). NOT MY CARS UNDDRBODY, just using it for reference as I’m at work. I will post what I have under it. My question is, can I BFH mod the panel in so that the torque arm bolt clears or is there something behind that, that could mess something up. Thanks in advance.

Just above this area.

My actual cars current setup
Old 05-07-2019, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

I'm guessing you're pointing at the trans tunnel. What you're describing is a common issue with after market rears, and aftermarket torque arms. You can clearance it, just don't put a hole in your floor.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:16 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you using the inner most set of holes on your torque arm bracket? If not, you have to trim the outer set of holes off to allow you to use the inner holes. I have plenty of clearance with my S60 using this method and my car is lowered.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...acket-s60.html

There is a picture in the link above showing what I am talking about.
Old 05-08-2019, 05:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff99
Are you using the inner most set of holes on your torque arm bracket? If not, you have to trim the outer set of holes off to allow you to use the inner holes. I have plenty of clearance with my S60 using this method and my car is lowered.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...acket-s60.html

There is a picture in the link above showing what I am talking about.
This^^^ you need to trim the bracket that mounts to the rear, usually just cut the holes off on the top of the bracket so you can slide the mount to the inside holes. There should of been something stating that in the instructions from UMI and or strange. On my s60 it was mentioned in the directions, cut down my Spohn torque arm and everything fits great.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:54 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The 2nd set of holes is included for this purpose. One problem however (not a quality problem, just a packaging problem of trying to fit 10 lbs of heavy duty stuff into a 5 lb bag) is larger u-joints tend to be pretty close in there so don't cut without careful measurement.

We have an S60 in our 2000 WS6 and it uses the standard holes and a little bit of floor modification.

ramey
Old 05-08-2019, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

What do you mean u joints? On the driveshaft itself for the rear? Should I not cut it down and just hammer in the floor panel? Also, do you guys have an overlay or something to show you exactly where to cut, I saw BMR has overlays they can email you.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:47 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I should have said rear yoke. If you have a giant aftermarket rear yoke on the axle, clearances can get tight.

We don't have a template at the moment. You simply remove enough material until you can utilize the inner set of holes. Axles vary in how much needs removed.

It's very common to clearance the floor pan when running UMI or other brands of aftermarket torque arms. I'd start with that.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

You're totally fine to BFH the floor in that area, it's under the rear seat. I'd still try to move it to the inner holes though if you have the clearance from the yoke. I'll be putting my car on the lift tomorrow I can post a picture of how mine looks with a trimmed Spohn TA, S60, and Stranos.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

Ended up cutting the bracket and it fits much better, still hammered the area to help a little.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:26 PM
12 Second Club

I have the S60 and UMI's adjustable torque arm. While I could have cut the bracket for the closer holes, I really didn't want to and went BFH on the floor. I only need a little bit of massaging and it worked out fine.
The following users liked this post:
GHall8788 (01-27-2020)