Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear spacer for BEHIND rotor? CTSV caliper PICTURES IN POST

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Rear spacer for BEHIND rotor? CTSV caliper PICTURES IN POST

PICTURES BELOW
Evening guys, I currently converted all 4 calipers and rotors to the CTSV2 calipers, and have the rear calipers on an S60 rear. When I took my car out for the first time, everything seemed great except the rears seemed like they were sticking. I took the wheel back off and checked the caliper. I Found that the caliper actually wasn't centered. The caliper itself needs to go inward, so I can't space the caliper with a washer. Has anyone seen this problem? Open to options. Curious if I can run a spacer BEHIND the rotor, Ill try to measure it out the best I can, thinking 3mm atleast. Have you guys ran any spacers like this and if so, what kind is recommended. Thanks in advance.

Outward, plenty of clearance.

Inward you can see its almost metal, the pad is push further back.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

don't put spacers behind the rotor, use washers to space the caliper so it is centered on the rotor
Old 05-30-2019, 12:00 PM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=hokeplaya05;20102888]don't put spacers behind the rotor, use washers to space the caliper so it is centered on the rotor

The only way washers will help is by pushing it more outward. I can’t put them on the other side it won’t change anything. My caliper sits in front of the bracket you bolt it onto.

Last edited by GHall8788; 05-30-2019 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Honestly what you have isn't optimal from a longevity standpoint, but I don't think it's the end of the world. If you could source a used set of pads, that would allow the pads to retract from the rotor. Not a scientific solution, but I'd rather do that than space between the rotor and hub. If you must space between the rotor and hub, have a spacer machined to the bolt pattern, stud size and hub bore, then throw some longer studs in there for good measure.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
Honestly what you have isn't optimal from a longevity standpoint, but I don't think it's the end of the world. If you could source a used set of pads, that would allow the pads to retract from the rotor. Not a scientific solution, but I'd rather do that than space between the rotor and hub. If you must space between the rotor and hub, have a spacer machined to the bolt pattern, stud size and hub bore, then throw some longer studs in there for good measure.
I have thicker and Longer Studs already. I contacted a company that custom makes spacers and it’s only going to be about 2-3mm. What do you specifically mean for longevity?
Old 06-02-2019, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by GHall8788
I have thicker and Longer Studs already. I contacted a company that custom makes spacers and it’s only going to be about 2-3mm. What do you specifically mean for longevity?
I mean if you ran it as is, one pad will be dragging for quite a while. Eventually, it'll "even out" where one pad wears down enough to allow some piston travel. Also your Rotor will be getting some excessive wear on that side. But eventually, it would wear and work.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

you could have the calipers mounting surface machined down to get the spacing you need. what is the reason for upgrading the rear brakes in the first place?
Old 06-10-2019, 11:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by hokeplaya05
you could have the calipers mounting surface machined down to get the spacing you need. what is the reason for upgrading the rear brakes in the first place?
I thought about that, was curious if that would be a strength issue. It’s only 2mm so I don’t see that it would. And I upgraded the front to 6 pistons and wanted the rears to match. That’s the main reason. I feel like 6 pistons up front and stock rear looks silly.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

It might look silly but I think the stock rears are adequate for most people. Most of the stopping happens up front. I think there is a long thread, or multiple ones, where people want to upgrade their rears but don't understand the performance implications, notably more rear lockup or axle hop. The road race guys have good suggestions. I AX my car and have brembos up front but stock rear with plain cheap parts store pads in the rear.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

i would try machining the caliper in that case since it really doesn't need that much to work.

my reason for asking about upgrading the rear was in line with what Chris said above, these cars come from the factory with too much rear brake bias as it is, so adding more rear braking can cause axle hop and rear lockup under hard braking which is not good. this can even happen from just doing an aggressive pad in the rear on stock calipers in some situations. there is a reason you see big brake upgrades for the front and nothing for the rears. if doing for looks by all means go for it, just be careful if you plan on pushing the car and have to do any aggressive braking (ie: autox, road course, possibly drag racing). for a weekend cruiser it will probably be fine
Old 09-10-2019, 09:40 AM
On The Tree

I have a proportioning valve so it’s set

Originally Posted by hokeplaya05
i would try machining the caliper in that case since it really doesn't need that much to work.

my reason for asking about upgrading the rear was in line with what Chris said above, these cars come from the factory with too much rear brake bias as it is, so adding more rear braking can cause axle hop and rear lockup under hard braking which is not good. this can even happen from just doing an aggressive pad in the rear on stock calipers in some situations. there is a reason you see big brake upgrades for the front and nothing for the rears. if doing for looks by all means go for it, just be careful if you plan on pushing the car and have to do any aggressive braking (ie: autox, road course, possibly drag racing). for a weekend cruiser it will probably be fine
Old 09-10-2019, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have a proportioning valve so it’s set
okay cool, you should be all set then. i am in process of deleting the abs module in my car and am installing a proportioning valve for the rear as well.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

Sounds good, Feels safer with no ABS haha, appreciate the help.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

How thick of a spacer do you need? We make one for our Strange Race brake conversions for the 4th Gen F-Bodies running Strange brakes keeping ABS and same for our Hellcat Strange race brake conversions.
Old 11-23-2019, 11:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis2
How thick of a spacer do you need? We make one for our Strange Race brake conversions for the 4th Gen F-Bodies running Strange brakes keeping ABS and same for our Hellcat Strange race brake conversions.
it was only a 2mm if I remember correctly. It fit as worked perfect. Didn’t know you guys made them I’ll hit you up next time. About to get a roll cage from you guys. Any sales coming up soon?
Old 11-25-2019, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

it was only a 2mm if I remember correctly. It fit as worked perfect. Didn’t know you guys made them I’ll hit you up next time. About to get a roll cage from you guys. Any sales coming up soon?
Sales are currently going as we speak.

Quick Reply: Rear spacer for BEHIND rotor? CTSV caliper PICTURES IN POST