Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

suspension rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2019, 02:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default suspension rebuild

My 2001 STOCK WS6 Trans Am is aging. The suspension, although still comfortable, creaks and has considerable body roll. I'm planning on doing a rebuild during the winter months since the car is just sitting waiting for the spring. I prefer to keep the car close to stock and just want to refresh the suspension. New shocks, springs, and bushings. Does anyone know what the factory springs and shocks were? Where can I find them?
Old 12-21-2019, 10:21 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We prepared this article on our ‘99 WS6 for Car Craft magazine where we replaced some worn bushings and the shock absorbers with Bilstein B6 units with excellent results.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/impr...-handling/amp/

While we didn’t remove the lower control arms to replace those bushings, the car will need to realigned if you do. Short of moving to aftermarket urethane bushings, where GM bushings aren’t available any longer, I’d recommend Moog rubber elsewhere. And since I reused the stock WS6 springs, I can’t comment on what aftermarket springs are direct replacements that would provide stock ride height.
Old 12-21-2019, 01:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

If you feel that you've got a lot of body roll, you need 2 things: better shocks, and a bigger front swaybar. I highly recommend a couple things. If you REALLY want to keep the ride as close to reasonably soft as the factory, then get factory springs, and KONI shocks. If you want to lower the car and/or drive "more sporty" then I suggest Strano (stranoparts.com) lowering springs, and again KONI shocks. I feel the Koni sport (yellow) are really the bee knees. They are adjustable, and from the sound of it you'd want to put them on full soft. Then you also really need a bigger front bar to keep the overall body roll down too. Strano has a 35 or 36mm front bar. You could also get the Koni SRT's as they are good too but a little cheaper.

I had the setup of stock springs and Koni's for years. And let me say the handling was MASSIVELY improved by simply adding the shocks and front bar. Shocks are so so so important to handling. Do not cheap out on them, and don't get auto-zone bilsteins. They really handle the forces of the car body as you turn, so it's important to have shocks up to the task of spirited driving, and also that are tuned to work with the springs. Shocks and springs work as a team. If you get stiff lowering springs but wimpy shocks, the ride suffers. Same with too stiff shocks and soft springs. I'll also say that if you get the adjustable Koni's, the difference between full soft and full firm is really dramatic. If you want a ride that is not bone-jarring, go soft on them. But even on full soft, they are way better than the stock shocks. You will be surprised how good your TA will handle with Koni's on full soft.

Call Sam (as in, on the phone, don't just try to order on his website) and tell him what you are looking for. If you don't race/autocross be honest about that.
Old 12-21-2019, 08:21 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Thanks Chris!

Relevant, https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...y-my-95-z.html

I sell parts. Lots of people sell parts. I make a few where I felt I could do a better job than what others have. But unlike others who also make parts, I sell other brands. I sell more coverage, more brands, than any other vendor. My interest is selling you the best things for your needs, not what's easy, or what might benefit me the most.

I also use these things. I compete with my cars. I have lots of track time and track record.

Combine those things, and that makes me not the average parts guy in this day and age.

13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 12-22-2019, 12:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Wow. I just ordered a brake cylinder brace yesterday from you. Small world.
Old 12-22-2019, 03:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2001ws6ft
Does anyone know what the factory springs and shocks were? Where can I find them?
Have you heard about the video game "E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial" that was so terrible, the makers buried 728,000 unsold copies under a layer of concrete in a New Mexico landfill? Rumor has it that somewhere there's a landfill full of take-off DeCarbon shocks from unhappy F-body owners. Your best bet is to just forget all about the stock shocks and get something decent instead.

Many people are happy with the Bilstein or Koni Str.T shocks for the price. I decided to go with the the Koni Sport since I figured I'd only be buying shocks once and the extra money over their lifetime was small and worth it. I also got Strano springs, sway bars, and all new Moog bushings and ball joints. Stock springs are also much better on upgraded shocks.

In the end I'd say my car handles way better and actually rides smoother than before.

Oh and the master cylinder brace is magic!

The following users liked this post:
2001ws6ft (12-22-2019)
Old 12-25-2019, 05:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

those ET games were not encased in concrete.....just thrown in a big dug hole that was a trash pit for the town.....I know cuz I was there when it was dug up

some of the not so smashed up games are on display in the towns museum
Old 12-30-2019, 12:20 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
those ET games were not encased in concrete.....just thrown in a big dug hole that was a trash pit for the town.....I know cuz I was there when it was dug up

some of the not so smashed up games are on display in the towns museum
Imagine being the guy who had to make that decision and explain it to the shareholders!
Old 12-30-2019, 12:22 AM
Staging Lane

Depending on your budget, something like this is would work great:
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=89&ModelID=2
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=89&ModelID=2
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=356&ModelID=2
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=356&ModelID=2 x2

Quick Reply: suspension rebuild