Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

99 Camaro hard ride

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2020, 01:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Camaro hard ride

Does anyone have any answers on making the ride any easier. My teeth and my wife’s come out. Thanks and all respect I’m advance.
Old 01-26-2020, 01:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

It's all about tires/shock valving/springs/sway bar package, Unless you have worn or broken suspension or under/over inflated tires.
Performance tires typically has a short stiff sidewall that doesn't absorb much of the impact of a crack/pothole in the road. Stiffer shock valving typically works well on smooth surfaces buy fail to control the tire/wheel over larger bumps deeper potholes.
Stiffer spring don't help either.
If you look at a car made to ride nice on all but the crappiest roads like some of the old luxury cars. They had large tires with a tall sidewall, Soft shocks and soft springs and small sway bars, It made the car glide down the street but didn't handle for ****.

Other than making sure everything suspension wise is in good condition you could look at tires with a taller sidewall, The only problem with that is a taller sidewall means either a taller tire that will throw off the speedometer and gearing or going down in rim size to stay the same tire diameter.

Edit: The temperature outside will make a difference also, If you are in cold climate the tires are even stiffer and oil in the shocks is thicker.
The following users liked this post:
Bob Kocialski (01-27-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 07:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

you might mention what your current setup is....stock or......
The following 2 users liked this post by sjsingle1:
Bob Kocialski (01-27-2020), HioSSilver (01-26-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 08:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have original or original type replacement shocks, they make the ride floaty yet harsh. I replaced my originals with Strano springs and Koni Sports and the ride feels way smoother now, mainly due to the shocks better dampening the impacts. Koni or Bilstein shocks also work well with stock springs if you want to maintain a soft ride and stock heigh . Worn bushings can also cause a harsh ride because the control arms will move around under impact instead of holding their position.

Last edited by chronos; 01-26-2020 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-27-2020, 06:33 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
Edit: The temperature outside will make a difference also, If you are in cold climate the tires are even stiffer and oil in the shocks is thicker.
+1 Over the years, I've noticed things get rougher as the temp goes way down. In particular, the SLP shocks seem to be a lot more temperature sensitive than the OEM shocks (no longer available) ever were.
Old 01-27-2020, 08:45 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Kocialski
Does anyone have any answers on making the ride any easier. My teeth and my wife’s come out. Thanks and all respect I’m advance.
Is the suspension all stock? How many miles are on the car?

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 01-27-2020, 09:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Camaro hard ride

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
It's all about tires/shock valving/springs/sway bar package, Unless you have worn or broken suspension or under/over inflated tires.
Performance tires typically has a short stiff sidewall that doesn't absorb much of the impact of a crack/pothole in the road. Stiffer shock valving typically works well on smooth surfaces buy fail to control the tire/wheel over larger bumps deeper potholes.
Stiffer spring don't help either.
If you look at a car made to ride nice on all but the crappiest roads like some of the old luxury cars. They had large tires with a tall sidewall, Soft shocks and soft springs and small sway bars, It made the car glide down the street but didn't handle for ****.

Other than making sure everything suspension wise is in good condition you could look at tires with a taller sidewall, The only problem with that is a taller sidewall means either a taller tire that will throw off the speedometer and gearing or going down in rim size to stay the same tire diameter.

Thank you for your response. The suspension has been replaced with auto zone oreilly parts. I have no sway around corners I will just have to suck it up that my wife will not be happy with it. Sorry babe.
I have tried to make her happy but somethings are just not meant to be. Again thank you for all the responses. Ok more $$$$$ for horsepower.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:51 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Take advantage of the season. Just put the T-Tops down until she begs for mercy and the attitude changes...

Quick Reply: 99 Camaro hard ride