Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

BMR Panhard Rod

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 02:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMR Panhard Rod

Im thinking about getting in on the sale that speed engineering is having on their BMR suspension products. From what I've read the Panhard Rod is a nice addition to my suspension. I also see alot of people get the Lower control arms as well with this. As of right now, I thinking Im just going to get the panhard rod. If anyone can chime in and let me know how you like yours and the benefits from it would be appreciated! Also, Im going with the non-adjustable one, is this sufficient?
Old 07-19-2004, 08:21 PM
Staging Lane

any help?
Old 07-19-2004, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well the non-adjust. PHB will work great if you do not plan on lowereing the car and running wider tires. In my opinion, I would shop around and try some other brands. BMR seems to have some good stuff, but there are others out they that can take there quality and beat there prices/service.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:18 PM
TECH Resident

What are you trying to accomplish? What is your goal? Have you read any BMR threads in this forum lately?
Old 07-20-2004, 07:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by absolut_speed
What are you trying to accomplish? What is your goal? Have you read any BMR threads in this forum lately?
I didnt want to say it, but thats what I was getting at.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:26 AM
Staging Lane

Of course I have read about the BMR products. I have their SFC's and never had a problem with them for 3 years. I've heard about some quality issues but thats the case with most every aftermarket company out there. Is that what you were getting at? I've also looked into UMI's panhard rod and have heard good things about them. I dont plan on lowering, going with wider tires etc, so I guess the non-adjustable one will work fine. I'm also going to get it with poly/poly bushings. As far as the ride is concerned, what kind of differences will I feel with this mod? I understand that the poly/poly bushings will transmit some vibration inside the car which im fine with, so if you can shed some light about how the ride will change (good or bad) that will help me make my choice. Also, if it's a quality issue youre concerned with about the BMR stuff, would you say UMI is a much better choice?
Old 07-20-2004, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1ssmokinls1
Of course I have read about the BMR products. I have their SFC's and never had a problem with them for 3 years. I've heard about some quality issues but thats the case with most every aftermarket company out there. Is that what you were getting at? I've also looked into UMI's panhard rod and have heard good things about them. I dont plan on lowering, going with wider tires etc, so I guess the non-adjustable one will work fine. I'm also going to get it with poly/poly bushings. As far as the ride is concerned, what kind of differences will I feel with this mod? I understand that the poly/poly bushings will transmit some vibration inside the car which im fine with, so if you can shed some light about how the ride will change (good or bad) that will help me make my choice. Also, if it's a quality issue youre concerned with about the BMR stuff, would you say UMI is a much better choice?
I have never experienced a BMR product, so I dont really have anything bad say about them at all. From what I have read they do have good customer service. I have seen a set of there LCA's and wasnt real impressed with the welds. So since I have never experienced a bmr product on my car I really cant say bad about them. Thats what I was trying to get at, was that I have read/heard some faulty things but I have never ran one so I really have no right to run it down. I am not the person to say buy this or buy that. I just feel there is other companys out there doing just as good that deserve a chance or others that have proved themself.

I know you wont go wrong with a UMI product, quality is something you see not so often. Also poly/poly has its pros and cons, I actually did not notice any road noise or a rougher ride with my complete poly set up. It was def a nice firmer feel, but not harsh whatsever. If you dont plan on lowering the car a non-ad. bar will work great for you. You should notice some handling improvements with it installed. Myself and I am sure many others have seen bent stk PHB's. If you need any more info just ask. Good Luck with your purchase.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Where are you located in PA?
Old 07-20-2004, 11:37 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2w0s060
Where are you located in PA?
I actually moved to the Jersey Shore. I lived in Center City Philly for about 3 years while in school.

Thanks for the help. I looked at UMI's stuff from a link on their website. They have some stuff up for sale on e-bay. Their panhard rod looks nice and it's actually cheaper than most other companies out there. Looks like that will be it for me. As far as install goes, is it easy to do? It doesn't look that bad from the pics I saw...probably have to jack up the rear a little to get under there.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:42 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why even replace the panhard rod if you're not doing anything special with the car? You could also just replace the stock panhard rod rubber busings with poly for a lot less cash.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:09 PM
TECH Resident

That's why I inquired as to what the goals are of the original poster. I don't see the reason to replace the panhard rod at this point, based on what's being considered. I just don't understand why one would replace the stock bar with a non-adjustable poly/poly bar. You're really not accomplishing much, and would be better off putting the money elsewhere.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:17 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Yeah and I would say the same about the LCA's; the stockers serve the needs of a car that is not raced better than a set of stiff, binding poly-poly LCAs.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:20 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Of course I have read about the BMR products. I've heard about some quality issues but thats the case with most every aftermarket company out there.
Not just quality issues, but design issues as well. I would rather build my own parts . . . well I guess their powder coating is fine.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:35 PM
Staging Lane

Well, when I'm on the street and If I pull away from a light, I hate the fact that I get so much wheel hop. I'd like to begin eliminating that. Doesn't replacing the stock panhard rod do that? I'd also like to tighten up the car more and improve on handling.

So you know, I race the car on the track a few times a year when I get the free time. If I had more time, I'd be at the track more often.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes you should have goals for what you want to do with car...but there is nothing wrong with starting one mod at a time. Whether it be poly/poly or rod/rod phb. Some of us do not have the money to do a complete overhaul at one time. I noticed a difference when I installed my LCA's, I liked the way it felt and it did help on my wheel hop issues. The car was all stock when I added them, but I liked the addidtion. I must say for myself I do plan, and I am upgrading into a rod/rod or rod/poly LCA. I have no issues with my poly/poly and I do like them. But I want to try a new set up and see the results.

As for wheel hop, if that is your concern I would start in a different area such as the lower control arms, this is where you will see improvement. If this only helps a little in the future you may wish to step into a torque arm replacment (which will get a little more pricey) or maybe try a set of control arm relocation brackets. But your car not being lowered might not be needed. The PHB controls the side movement of the rear axle, it keeps the rear centered under the car. I am sure someone can give you a better detailed description but thats the short version. If you need more info on these items just ask away, there is many knowledgeable ppl here. Or just do a search on any of the above items, there is a hundread threads for each I am sure

IMO start with lower control arms and go from there
Old 07-20-2004, 04:01 PM
TECH Resident

What kind of track (drag or road course)? And no, the panhard won't eliminate your wheel hop. If you're talking about drag racing, tires and gears are going to do you infinitely more good. If you're talking a road course, then you'd be better off buying sway bars and shocks (and tires still).
Old 07-20-2004, 04:08 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

No, the panhard bar does nothing for wheel hop. The poly lca's will help with the wheel hop, but they bind up in hard cornering. The best thing is rod-end (heim joint) LCA's, or at least LCA's with poly one end and a heim on the other.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:14 PM
Staging Lane

In the end I'd like this car to feel much tighter. Right now, it doesnt feel connected to the road and I get wheel hop when pulling away from a light. I dont want the ride to be harsh, but I want it to be tight. Its still a daily driver and I want to be able to take it on trips. Would shocks be the first thing to do then? Maybe someone can provide me with a shopping list of sorts to accomplish what I just added (the more imporant mods and the ones that make the biggest difference being #1).
Old 07-20-2004, 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cal
No, the panhard bar does nothing for wheel hop. The poly lca's will help with the wheel hop, but they bind up in hard cornering. The best thing is rod-end (heim joint) LCA's, or at least LCA's with poly one end and a heim on the other.
Like mentioned above, if you are using it as a daily driver and still want a not to harsh of a ride go with a polyurethane ended control arm with a rod end (heim joint) on the other end. The rod will help on handling issues and poly can be mounted to your chassis for the ride quality. These installed with a good set of shocks will improve your ride. the bilsteins heavy duties seem to be good shock for the set up you would be running.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

I actually moved to the Jersey Shore.
Jersey Shore?! Trash!!! J/K J/K I have the BMR adj. panhard. No problems, but no real difference either.

Quick Reply: BMR Panhard Rod