Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Want to change to Koni's ..do I need springs too...?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2022, 09:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Copy that, should be in touch soon
Old 02-04-2022, 07:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 201 Posts
Default Koni STR T’s

My apologies for the thread jacking, but are the non-adjustable STR T’s really all that much better than OEM or an OEM equivalent like KYB? I was disappointed in them in the past on a different vehicle. They weren’t “bad,” they just weren’t any better than a cheaper KYB Excel G/ GR2.
Old 02-04-2022, 10:42 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2K_Frenzy
My apologies for the thread jacking, but are the non-adjustable STR T’s really all that much better than OEM or an OEM equivalent like KYB? I was disappointed in them in the past on a different vehicle. They weren’t “bad,” they just weren’t any better than a cheaper KYB Excel G/ GR2.
You lost me. You were disappointed in them. Okay exactly which shocks are them? To begin with shocks are car dependent, you can't just say this shock is great in that shock sucks and that's universally true on any vehicle. Str.t aren't meant to be super premium, that's what the sport is. However it is still koni valving, But of course without as much rebound control as is available in a sport. And here's a big one lifetime warranty. Now I know KYB says they have the same thing, but have you ever tried to get any issue resolved that way? Good luck. At least koni stands behind their stuff If you have a problem.

Again, the STR.t is a more budget-minded product from them. They never had anything in this price point in the market until they came out with these. That's their primary goal. To be a good, solid, reliable damper for most people. And that's pretty much what they've built. I have a stock BMW that's a winter beater, that's what I have on it. They drive very much like OEM shocks on that car, that aren't worn out. And some people might think that's odd for me to say, but then again OEM BMW damping is pretty damn good.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 02-04-2022, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
You lost me. You were disappointed in them. Okay exactly which shocks are them? To begin with shocks are car dependent, you can't just say this shock is great in that shock sucks and that's universally true on any vehicle. Str.t aren't meant to be super premium, that's what the sport is. However it is still koni valving, But of course without as much rebound control as is available in a sport. And here's a big one lifetime warranty. Now I know KYB says they have the same thing, but have you ever tried to get any issue resolved that way? Good luck. At least koni stands behind their stuff If you have a problem.

Again, the STR.t is a more budget-minded product from them. They never had anything in this price point in the market until they came out with these. That's their primary goal. To be a good, solid, reliable damper for most people. And that's pretty much what they've built. I have a stock BMW that's a winter beater, that's what I have on it. They drive very much like OEM shocks on that car, that aren't worn out. And some people might think that's odd for me to say, but then again OEM BMW damping is pretty damn good.
What shocks are “them” you ask? Well the Koni STR T’s of course. I assumed everyone would know which ones I was refereeing to since this thread is about the STR T’s. They weren’t a “crappy” shock. They just didn’t seem any more performance oriented than cheaper KYB non GR2’s. The name is what we are paying for when it comes to the STR T’s.
*Edit* The bang for buck isn’t there is all. They’re “good” but not good enough to pay “performance part prices.”

Last edited by Y2K_Frenzy; 02-04-2022 at 11:51 AM.
Old 02-04-2022, 12:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

The way you phrased it left me unsure of what you were talking about. This is a common thing with email, PM and forums. You know what you meant, but the wording could have gone either way, so I asked.

As for performance part prices, well consiering a full set is less than two decent tires, and that Sports are $900-1000 or so, I think it's a relative thing. You are comparing STR.T to GR2's on some other car, I don't know what that car is, let alone what else, if anything was done to it. Context matters. Personally, I would not pick GR-2's over STR.T in most cases if even just for the sake of the warranty service side of things. Not to mention things like on this car the front Koni have new dustboots and bumpstops, the KYB's do not.

Having said all that, I carry KYB. GR-2, Gas A Just and AGXs all too. I have always tried ot offer a lot of choice to people, and do more-so than any other shop you'l find. My recommendation is that, a recommendation if you want to do something else that is certainly your choice and I do my best to offer those other items to people too. The Bang for the buck isn't there in your mind, but again that was based, apparently on some other car. And like I said before, that matters. For instance the LT1 and LS1 Camaro are not really any different. None of use who do our own springs for them do separate ones for each car. Hell I WEIGHED a 2001 and a 1995 back to back withing 5 minutes with the same aftermarket parts installed, on the same wheels, both full of fuel and both 6 speeds with power driver seats and premium stereo's from GM. They were..... 6 pounds different. But for some reason Eibach made RADICALLY different springs for them. I guess someone somewhere in engineering or elsewhere though they needed to change based on some information they thought they had, or maybe just assumed. We are talking working rates of 200 lbs/in different in the front, 20 pounds in the back and completely different windings. And one of those springs is less good than the other.

I tell you this because maybe on your other car the person who spec'ed the STR.T did something different for a result they wanted on that chassis. Maybe the KYB guy really nailed it. But that wasn't this car. And if you are running stock springs and just want the car to work decently as it should have new, well then I think GR-2 would be just fine. But if you push it harder, or you put lowering springs on more rebound is something that is typically warranted and the GR-2 wasn't designed as much for that. And STR.T were not designed to give you nearly as much rebound as a Sport does either, which is why those exist.

13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 02-04-2022, 12:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 844 Likes on 646 Posts

Bilstein or Koni are the only good choices for a stock replacement shock for a 4th gen. Never read anything good about KYB ride quality on a 4th gen.

Quick Reply: Want to change to Koni's ..do I need springs too...?