Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Weld On SFC’s with Seat Brackets

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2022, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 239 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by bbond105
Midwest SFC are completely different then UMI. Not even close.
Are UMI’s boxed steel completely different than Midwest’s as well? I emailed Midwest asking where there’s weld up so I can figure out what makes there’s “better” and their response wasn’t very informative. They said, “Weld anywhere that there is contact.” Well, no kidding..

Old 02-06-2022, 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tyler Dietzenbach
Can you elaborate on the differences and explain which design may be better than the other? Just for the sake of people who run across this.

Thank you
I emailed Midwest back asking if they could elaborate on why there’s are “better” than the rest. I have a feeling they will compare their square tube with others round tube. Other than that I think they all get welded at the same points. Other than those who provide a bolt to run through the LCA as well get welded around the LCA “cradle.” But really I think their ad: “Do not be fooled by other companies on the market that have multiple point SFC or bolt to the LCA mounts,” is just comparing weld-in to bolt-in SFC’s.

Last edited by Y2K_Frenzy; 02-06-2022 at 08:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Tyler Dietzenbach (02-06-2022)
Old 02-06-2022, 09:14 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1,948 Likes on 1,400 Posts

https://midwestchassis.com/products/...-powder-coated

The weld on subframe connectors stays on the subframe and does not incorporate the LCA's while the BMR's boxed ones that can be bolted or welded do. Is there one that's better than the other? That's subjective, but think of it's purpose and use then decide!
Old 02-06-2022, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
https://midwestchassis.com/products/...-powder-coated

The weld on subframe connectors stays on the subframe and does not incorporate the LCA's while the BMR's boxed ones that can be bolted or welded do. Is there one that's better than the other? That's subjective, but think of it's purpose and use then decide!
Yeah if I’m looking at it right Midwest’s look like they weld further inboard than UMI, etc. Am I correct? Do the UMI’s and the likes run theirs closer to the outer edge (closer to the door) and Midwest runs theirs further towards the center of the car? My $60 ones on my Ford are more similar to Midwest’s. What a butt-chapper. $200 for something similar.. Why is everyone else attaching theirs to the rear control arm? I’m assuming so they can design one SFC that can either be welded or bolted?

UMI

Midwest

Midwest

UMI

Last edited by Y2K_Frenzy; 02-06-2022 at 11:14 AM.
Old 02-06-2022, 11:45 AM
11 Second Club

I like the Midwest Chassis SFC's.
Tyler Dietzenbach (02-07-2022)
Old 02-06-2022, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I like the Midwest Chassis SFC's.
Can you elaborate as to why?
Has anyone had any negative experiences with the type that weld to the LCA “cradle” or bolt to the LCA? Is a piece of round tube steel that is welded to outer part of the frame towards the door really doing much to help distribute the load more evenly?
Old 02-06-2022, 01:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Y2K_Frenzy
Can you elaborate as to why?
Has anyone had any negative experiences with the type that weld to the LCA “cradle” or bolt to the LCA? Is a piece of round tube steel that is welded to outer part of the frame towards the door really doing much to help distribute the load more evenly?
I like the fact that it is closer to the driveline and connects both of the subframes. Some work will need to be done to the flooring to get the connectiors to mate nicely but once all that's welded together I feel this would be the most structuraly sound way of doing it.
The following 2 users liked this post by 01CamaroSSTx:
bbond105 (02-06-2022), Y2K_Frenzy (02-06-2022)
Old 02-06-2022, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I like the fact that it is closer to the driveline and connects both of the subframes. Some work will need to be done to the flooring to get the connectiors to mate nicely but once all that's welded together I feel this would be the most structuraly sound way of doing it.
Ah ok, I think I’m starting to get the picture maybe. Am I thinking correct here: The more common bolt-on type that can be welded in as well as bolted in (UMI) connect from the front subframe to the LCA and not to the front subframe to the rear? I’m guessing they do it that way so they can so A) they can make one product that will bolt or weld, and B) because in order to weld from frame to frame on an F body modification to the floor is necessary and because it is they might sell less SFC’s. Is B) correct? If it’s not welded or bolted to subframe to subframe is it really doing anything? Is welding one to the front and bolting/welding to the LCA support even legit? Or is it a gimmick at this point?
Also, just how much modification is needed El get Midwest’s to work? Enough to scare off a muffler shop from wanting to do the work so I guy has to find a custom chassis fab shop?

Last edited by Y2K_Frenzy; 02-06-2022 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-06-2022, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

One more question. Does having the LCA tied to the frame via SFC hinder the rear axle’s ability to articulate?
Old 02-07-2022, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Can you elaborate on the differences and explain which design may be better than the other? Just for the sake of people who run across this.

Thank you
This a copy and paste from an email from Midwest.
“Our frame connectors do not contact the LCA bracket at all. The LCA bracket is 6” away from the actual subframe and not even the same piece of metal, plus it is plenty rigid and no additional support is beneficial. The MWC connectors actually connect the true subframes where the best benefit of adding the component to stiffen the chassis will be effective. A lot of the other designs will only attach at the outer portion of the LCA bracket and run along the pinch weld which is already the strongest point of a unibody chassis. Some designs will even stop short of the front subframe and only focus contact at the floor crossbrace. The MWC connectors are only available in a weld-in design and attach to the actual front and rear subframe rails to do the job they are intended for.

MWC Sales Team”
The following 2 users liked this post by Y2K_Frenzy:
01CamaroSSTx (02-07-2022), Tyler Dietzenbach (02-07-2022)
Old 02-07-2022, 10:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

To me it sounds like their subframe connectors would be the best design if you want weld-ins. Seems like other companies like having just 1 design that can be both bolt and weld. Which does make sense for them from a financial perspective. This design should have better rigidity than the others.

I know when I hit the market for SFCs that the MWC ones will be my first choice, as the design makes the most sense. Thanks for doing the research for us and all future thread readers.
01CamaroSSTx (02-07-2022)
Old 02-07-2022, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

To me it sounds like their subframe connectors would be the best design if you want weld-ins. Seems like other companies like having just 1 design that can be both bolt and weld. Which does make sense for them from a financial perspective. This design should have better rigidity than the others.

I know when I hit the market for SFCs that the MWC ones will be my first choice, as the design makes the most sense. Thanks for doing the research for us and all future thread readers.
I emailed them back asking if any modification is needed to the floor pan, etc, and they said no not unless there is previous damage from not having SFC’s.
Really the only reason I’m looking at SFC’s is to try and prevent the chassis to sag like an accordion. Mine has T-tops. Am I worried for nothing? Not just the “accordion sag,” but what about door sag? Is that common? Will SFC’s help this not to happen?

Last edited by Y2K_Frenzy; 02-07-2022 at 12:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Weld On SFC’s with Seat Brackets