Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Weld On SFC’s with Seat Brackets

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2022, 06:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 235 Likes on 207 Posts
Default Weld On SFC’s with Seat Brackets

Does anyone know of a set of weld in subframe connectors that have the brackets that bolt to the bottom of the seats that aren’t $300 for the 98-02’s? I’m new to the GM parts world so the search has just began. I saw UMI’s $300 rig but I was hoping to find something like $60 one that I have one my other car. Thanks in advance.
Here’s a good read on SFC’s & the benefit of the seat bracket. As well as a link to what I’m looking for.
Benefits of seat brackets on SFC’s

$60 SFC’s as an example

$300 SFC’s I’d rather not have to buy

Last edited by Y2K_Frenzy; 02-03-2022 at 08:04 AM.
Old 02-03-2022, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Y2K_Frenzy
Does anyone know of a set of weld in subframe connectors that have the brackets that bolt to the bottom of the seats that aren’t $300 for the 98-02’s? I’m new to the GM parts world so the search has just began. I saw UMI’s $300 rig but I was hoping to find something like $60 one that I have one my other car. Thanks in advance.
Here’s a good read on SFC’s & the benefit of the seat bracket. As well as a link to what I’m looking for.
Benefits of seat brackets on SFC’s

$60 SFC’s as an example

$300 SFC’s I’d rather not have to buy
Nada?
Old 02-03-2022, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Bolted to the LCA’s?

Is bolting them to the rear control arm the norm even on the weld-in type? Seems like that’d be more harm than good, but I don’t know. Why not just weld from frame to frame?

Old 02-03-2022, 07:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,381 Posts

Checked with Midwest Chassis?
Old 02-03-2022, 08:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
Sorry to hijack..
I have heard these are different than all other SFC. Can you elaborate on how and if they are considered better?
Old 02-03-2022, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tyler Dietzenbach
Sorry to hijack..
I have heard these are different than all other SFC. Can you elaborate on how and if they are considered better?
Yeah I saw their ad on their site that says there’s are “better than the rest,” but I think they’re comparing there’s to bolt-on style. $200 is kinda high for steel tube. I know when it comes to some things brand name is important and “you get what you pay for,” but if fitment is good I don’t think one brands steel is going to be $100 better than another’s.
Old 02-03-2022, 09:09 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah I saw their ad on their site that says there’s are “better than the rest,” but I think they’re comparing there’s to bolt-on style. $200 is kinda high for steel tube. I know when it comes to some things brand name is important and “you get what you pay for,” but if fitment is good I don’t think one brands steel is going to be $100 better than another’s.
I think theirs get welded to different points and that's the difference.
The following users liked this post:
Y2K_Frenzy (02-03-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think theirs get welded to different points and that's the difference.
Ah I see. Maybe l’ll reach out to them and see. Too bad no seat brackets tie-ins. In that article I linked they tried to test to see how much stiffer SFC’s made the chassis and there wasn’t much of a measurable difference in before & after flex. So they came to the conclusion that the seat brackets are what gives the perception of a stiffer feel. But not only that though I think the bracket’s help support the floor pan as well.
Old 02-04-2022, 12:17 PM
TECH Resident

From their site:

"This is for one pair of Midwest Chassis true subframe connectors. These are a weld in design that actually go from subframe to subframe. Do not be fooled by other companies on the market that have multiple point SFC or bolt to the LCA mounts. Those do nothing for you and will not do what a true SFC is supposed to do"
Old 02-04-2022, 04:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 534 Likes on 414 Posts

The subframe connectors with the seat mount brackets are a mustang thing. I don't think that will work on an F-Body.
Y2K_Frenzy (02-04-2022)
Old 02-04-2022, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bbond105
The subframe connectors with the seat mount brackets are a mustang thing. I don't think that will work on an F-Body.
Bummer.
Old 02-04-2022, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

From their site:

"This is for one pair of Midwest Chassis true subframe connectors. These are a weld in design that actually go from subframe to subframe. Do not be fooled by other companies on the market that have multiple point SFC or bolt to the LCA mounts. Those do nothing for you and will not do what a true SFC is supposed to do"
Yeah I read that too. I think though the “or BOLT to the LCA mounts,” part is taking shots at bolt-on’s in general. Basically saying that bolt-on SFC’s don’t work. I believe the UMI’s weld-ins (as well as other F Body SFC’s I’ve seen so far) weld in the same place that their bolt-ins bolt at the LCA bracket. Which is new to me. In the mustang world the “standard length” SFC’s just run down the frame and they don’t go too far past the subframe on each side. The “full length” run the full length of the frame, but they don’t attach to any suspension components. I wonder where Midwest’s are welded?
Do y’all think the tube steel is worth while?Tube steel SFC’s

Last edited by Y2K_Frenzy; 02-04-2022 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-04-2022, 06:15 PM
11 Second Club

I do have the BMR bolt in SFC's that can be welded in but they're not at the moment. I haven't purchased the MWC weld on's and I'm going that direction but I'd like to know more about what makes MWC's better but regardfless it's MWC compononts for the 99 build.
Y2K_Frenzy (02-04-2022)
Old 02-04-2022, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I do have the BMR bolt in SFC's that can be welded in but they're not at the moment. I haven't purchased the MWC weld on's and I'm going that direction but I'd like to know more about what makes MWC's better but regardfless it's MWC compononts for the 99 build.
I too would like to know. My el cheapo $60 weld-in’s on my other car were worthwhile and they’ve been on there like ten years now. $200+ is kind of a tough pill to swallow when one is merely talking about tube stock. I think even an apprentice fab guy could probably make SFC’s. “Cut bar x length, weld here to here.”
*Edit* I emailed Midwest asking where the weld points are. I bet they might weld the same palce in the rear that yours are bolted. I really don’t think you’ll get more by welding Midwest’s in than what you would by welding yours in. You might not even feel a difference between the bolt and the weld. The weld-ins are just stronger I believe. I metal bar is a metal bar as long as they’re the same type & thickness. It’s all marketing hype after that.

Last edited by Y2K_Frenzy; 02-04-2022 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-04-2022, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

While these are not Midwest Chassis' they do weld in the same way.
01CamaroSSTx (02-05-2022)
Old 02-05-2022, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Fbody Subframe Connector Install - YouTube

While these are not Midwest Chassis' they do weld in the same way.
Since it seems they all weld to the same place I’m going to have to chalk Midwest’s as “good marketing.” I read an article on UMI’s (I believe it was UMI) the other day and they said, “most people don’t realize that our weld-in’s are the same SFC’s as the bolt-ins that we sell, it’s just that the weld-ins don’t come with hardware.” So it appears that the ones (all brands) that don’t bolt to the LCA bracket still get welded there So is one weld-in brand better than another? I doubt it.
Old 02-05-2022, 09:24 AM
11 Second Club

The BMR bolt in kit attaches to the LCA's where the other one's I've seen that are weld in do not.
bbond105 (02-05-2022)
Old 02-05-2022, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

The BMR bolt in kit attaches to the LCA's where the other one's I've seen that are weld in do not.
You’re right. I went and looked at a few examples of weld-ins and some of them still run a bolt through the LCA where others “wrap around” and get welded to the LCA bracket or whatever it is back there. I think not having a bolt through the LCA would probably be the most ideal. I still don’t see why one couldn’t just weld a piece of flat stock to the subframes and not run them the full length of the frame all the way to the SFC’s. You know just run it a few feet past on each side. Those would be called “standard length,” in the mustang community which are “good.” The ones that run the full length of the frame like I’m seeing offered for the f body are called “full length,” and are “better.” They’re better “better” because they have more weld area so I guess that makes them stronger. But I bet the stiffness isn’t a night and day difference between the standard & full length. It could be though, I’ve only ever tried the shorter standard length.
Old 02-05-2022, 05:18 PM
TECH Addict

Since it seems they all weld to the same place I’m going to have to chalk Midwest’s as “good marketing.” I read an article on UMI’s (I believe it was UMI) the other day and they said, “most people don’t realize that our weld-in’s are the same SFC’s as the bolt-ins that we sell, it’s just that the weld-ins don’t come with hardware.” So it appears that the ones (all brands) that don’t bolt to the LCA bracket still get welded there So is one weld-in brand better than another? I doubt it.
Midwest SFC are completely different then UMI. Not even close.
Old 02-05-2022, 08:23 PM
TECH Resident

Midwest SFC are completely different then UMI. Not even close.
Can you elaborate on the differences and explain which design may be better than the other? Just for the sake of people who run across this.

Thank you
Y2K_Frenzy (02-06-2022)

Quick Reply: Weld On SFC’s with Seat Brackets