Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Front Sock & Spring Assembly Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2024, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 223 Likes on 197 Posts
Default Front Sock & Spring Assembly Question

I was watching a “how to” on assembling front shocks & springs on a Firebird and the guy drew a line down the old assy before disassembling it so he could properly orintate the top and bottom mount on the new shocks. I’mwanring to assemble them prior to removing the old ones, or I may possibly pay someone to assemble them for me so there won’t be an old one to compare to. I see that the one mounting tab one the lower shock mount has more of an angle than the other tab. Does the tab slant inboard or outboard when it’s bolted to the car? I guess I’m asking how to line up the top and bottom mount so I end up with a left and a right side. Does the angle of the slant and on the bottom and the orientation of the mount on top need to match up to make a left and a right side? How do I make a right and a left with nothing to compare it to?

Screen shot of the passenger side. Is the tab in the foreground slanted towards the outboard of the car? The left side if you were looking at it front the front.
Old 06-16-2024, 06:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

I believe they do that to keep the sprint seating oriented so that you reassemble it in the same way.
Old 06-16-2024, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by capelajc
I believe they do that to keep the sprint seating oriented so that you reassemble it in the same way.
Right. What do they do if they don’t have something to compare it to?
There has to be a right and a wrong way to clock the the top mount when assembling. I’m trying to find out which way that is without taking the old shock out first.
Old 06-16-2024, 08:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 837 Likes on 640 Posts

The top mount spins. It can only fit the holes in the inner fender one way.
The following users liked this post:
Y2K_Frenzy (06-16-2024)
Old 06-16-2024, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wannafbody
The top mount spins. It can only fit the holes in the inner fender one way.
I’m asking about assembling the shock and spring together to where I end up with a left and a right side. Not about bolting them to the car.
Here are a couple of reviews from people who bought Gabriel quick struts for ‘93-‘02 F bodies and that say that they were assembled wrong and they couldn’t be installed as is. The mounts were facing the wrong way. How do I not end up doing that? The guy in this video says the orientation of the bottom “feet” on the shock and the top mount matters. Which way are they supposed to line up?
In the pic of the new & old shock is that a passenger or drivers side?

Passenger or driver? See the angle of the plate the bottom bolt's go through? Does that have anything to do which way to bolt the top mount on to the shock to determine passenger from driver?

Last edited by Y2K_Frenzy; 06-16-2024 at 09:43 PM.
Old 06-17-2024, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

So which way do the top mounts face in relation to where it bolts to the bottom?
Old 06-18-2024, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

@RevGTO
Originally Posted by RevGTO
If possible, find a shop with a wall mount compressor. Makes the job 1000x easier than using rental compressors. Make sure that the lower shock mount is lined up correctly with the upper rubber insulator when you tighten the nut. Take note of the correct orientation before you disassemble the shock assembly.
​​​​​​Here is a quote from a post that you made in a thread many moons ago. But you were talking about exactly what I’m trying to figure out. Is there anyway to correctly line up the lower shock mount with the upper rubber insulator if one doesn’t have another assembled shock assy to compare it to? I won’t be reusing any of my old shock assembly and I’m thinking about farming the assembling of the spring and shock out. Is it a crap shoot if I don’t take them the old one for comparison? Or will a suspension guy know which way they should go based on the angle of the lower mounting tab? I’d rather have them ready to be installed prior to pulling the old ones out whether I attempt the install or not. How do the “quick strut” assembly line workers do it? Maybe they have a jig.
Olddie but a goodie.
Old 06-18-2024, 10:37 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2K_Frenzy
@RevGTO
​​​​​​Here is a quote from a post that you made in a thread many moons ago. But you were talking about exactly what I’m trying to figure out. Is there anyway to correctly line up the lower shock mount with the upper rubber insulator if one doesn’t have another assembled shock assy to compare it to? I won’t be reusing any of my old shock assembly and I’m thinking about farming the assembling of the spring and shock out. Is it a crap shoot if I don’t take them the old one for comparison? Or will a suspension guy know which way they should go based on the angle of the lower mounting tab? I’d rather have them ready to be installed prior to pulling the old ones out whether I attempt the install or not. How do the “quick strut” assembly line workers do it? Maybe they have a jig.
Olddie but a goodie.
I'd take some pics of the old shock assemblies, L & R, while still on the car and using those, the tech should be able to visualize how they should line up, You can still turn the shock a little if needed to get it right as long as it is close.

I learned this the hard way because once I forgot to do this, and then had to remount the assembly back on the compressor, back off the top nut, and adjust it.

Last edited by RevGTO; 06-18-2024 at 10:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Y2K_Frenzy (06-19-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 11:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by capelajc
^^This 100%^^
Old 06-29-2024, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SteveC
^^This 100%^^
I think they got it wrong because it’s leaning to the passengers side. But I don’t know what look for to prove that it’s installation error.

Quick Reply: Front Sock & Spring Assembly Question