Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

BMR Vrs Spohn Vrs UMI

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 04:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMR Vrs Spohn Vrs UMI

I wanna know how these 3 companies compare when it comes to suspension products.

I was leaning towards Spohn, but looked at the prices of UMI and couldnt beleive it. Are they too good to be true???

These are the suspension parts im lookin to get, so let me know where these 3 companies fall in terms of quality and such:

Tubular LCAs
LCA Relocation Brackets
Adj Panhard Rod
Old 09-26-2004, 05:43 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've personally had BADZ components (rod-ended), and really disliked how much the rod ends rattled around in the back. I just switched them out to Spohn poly/poly LCAs and a Spohn poly/poly adjustable PHR. I really like both of them...very well made, have Zerk fittings to keep everything from squeaking, and come greased straight from them. I think it is really 6 of one, half-a-dozen of the other when it comes to those. You'll find that a lot of people do not like BMR simply because a lot of their stuff breaks during abuse at the track (road racing primarily). I could give two craps about that since my car will never see anything more than the occassional jog down the 1/4 mile, if even that.

I'll tell you this...if this is any sort of daily driver, or even if you just want it to be still fun to drive, DO NOT get rod ended stuff. I did, and it was a mistake, and I had to basically pay twice for the same damn parts. People will say poly/poly will bind on you, and I guarantee you it will if pushed hard enough, but for most people that just use these cars around town, poly/poly components from any one of those companies will fit your bill quite nicely. Just make sure they have Zerk fittings for easy greasing, and you'll be set.

Steve
Old 09-26-2004, 07:16 PM
Launching!

before u look at buying those products check out www.lgmotorsports.com i think they have the best susp. products
Old 09-26-2004, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What about Lakewood's products, like LCA's and such. Any good?
Old 09-26-2004, 07:34 PM
9 Second Club

What's UMI?
Old 09-26-2004, 08:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

umi = -------------> sponsor. Great company so I've heard. All guys whove had them are very pleased with them. I'm going to buy all their suspension components for my car. Im waiting on them to make a torque arm that mounts where the tunnel brace goes for longtubes . I'll be getting my 12 bolt, then all the suspension I need. I cant wait.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:06 PM
TECH Regular

Default hard ended!!!

man you nailed it with the noise factor and hard ends!!!!that stuff is not for street cars.i'm not sure on poly,i may go back to rubber.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

www.umiperformance.com

I asked a few days ago about them and they seem to be well liked even thought they are just starting up...

I plan on purchasing some of their stuff soon.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:31 PM
9 Second Club

Doh..i must've skipped right by em on the sponsor list
Old 09-26-2004, 09:42 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ditto on the rod ended stuff. Ryan from UMI explained the difference to me when I decided on my control arms. I think everyone gets caught up on "GET THE BEST!, buy the rod ends." From my understanding, rod ends are really only going to help if you're into SCCA or open track. If you drive the car everyday, live for each blast down the ¼ and maybe hit up a track day once a year, save yourself the money and frustration and just go with the poly ends (talking LCA's here). UMI does offer adjustable control arms with QA1 rod ends, but we decided the poly/poly LCAs were what would benefit my driving habits.

For the Panhard, the adjustable is definitly the way to go. The main advantage to that is it will let you center the rear end. I'm going to go with the UMI adjustable panhard when I feel I need to get one.

The LCA brackets are just something needed to correct the geometry of the 3 link rear. I have them on my car even though it's not lowered, but a lowered car really needs them.

Now for the VS. part of the thread...

LG, Spohn, BMR, etc... they all make fine products. There is no doubt about it. BUT, UMI offers the same, if not better, quality in a more affordable pacakge. If UMI was truely junk, do you think they'd still be a sponser? UMI keeps growing and growing, so I would NOT hesitate to give them a try. Another great thing about UMI is Ryan will bend over backwards to help you with any problem. That's excellent customer service you might not get anywhere else.

So in the end, why pay more for quality? UMI is NOT too good to be true, and they'll be around for some time to come.
Old 09-27-2004, 12:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
Ditto on the rod ended stuff. Ryan from UMI explained the difference to me when I decided on my control arms. I think everyone gets caught up on "GET THE BEST!, buy the rod ends." From my understanding, rod ends are really only going to help if you're into SCCA or open track. If you drive the car everyday, live for each blast down the ¼ and maybe hit up a track day once a year, save yourself the money and frustration and just go with the poly ends (talking LCA's here). UMI does offer adjustable control arms with QA1 rod ends, but we decided the poly/poly LCAs were what would benefit my driving habits.

For the Panhard, the adjustable is definitly the way to go. The main advantage to that is it will let you center the rear end. I'm going to go with the UMI adjustable panhard when I feel I need to get one.

The LCA brackets are just something needed to correct the geometry of the 3 link rear. I have them on my car even though it's not lowered, but a lowered car really needs them.

Now for the VS. part of the thread...

LG, Spohn, BMR, etc... they all make fine products. There is no doubt about it. BUT, UMI offers the same, if not better, quality in a more affordable pacakge. If UMI was truely junk, do you think they'd still be a sponser? UMI keeps growing and growing, so I would NOT hesitate to give them a try. Another great thing about UMI is Ryan will bend over backwards to help you with any problem. That's excellent customer service you might not get anywhere else.

So in the end, why pay more for quality? UMI is NOT too good to be true, and they'll be around for some time to come.
As alot of u know, Im a newbie to all this and I got more information on this thread than I asked for...learned alot here. I'll definitely be getting some of UMIs products very soon. My car was lowered when I bought it, and have always felt that the suspension was a major weak link in my car, now I know how to handle all this.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had LGM rod ended components on my car for almost 3 years now and they don't rattle.

If you buy quality components ... components that use quality parts ... you will be amazed at the performance difference and the way they last.

DMNSPD makes a valid point, though. If you only use your car to cruise, need to pad your internet signature and not as concerned about performance and durability, then cheap parts are definitely an option.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mitchntx
cheap parts are definitely an option.
I don't think "cheap parts" is the correct wording, I am sure a UMI or Spohn product can compare anyday to a LG product.

Just because the price is better doesnt mean it's a less quality product....
Old 09-27-2004, 08:47 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

DMNSPD makes a valid point, though. If you only use your car to cruise, need to pad your internet signature and not as concerned about performance and durability, then cheap parts are definitely an option.
I don't think you're taking the cheap way out not using the rod-ended LCA's. Why pay more if you dont need it? Maybe if I hada track only car that pulled the wheels cutting like 1.4 60's I'd run them.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2w0s060
I don't think "cheap parts" is the correct wording, I am sure a UMI or Spohn product can compare anyday to a LG product.

Just because the price is better doesnt mean it's a less quality product....
You are entitled to your opinion.

But I've broken most of the "cheap parts", both at teh weld (craftsmanship) and the bearing (quallity part).

If you've had good luck with them, congrats. May you never have the rear end try and pass you at 45 mph.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

I don't think you're taking the cheap way out not using the rod-ended LCA's. Why pay more if you dont need it? Maybe if I hada track only car that pulled the wheels cutting like 1.4 60's I'd run them.
Maybe cheaper would have been more appropriate
Old 09-27-2004, 09:29 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Even then, I don't think you would. I just have a hard time believing that some people have "no rattling" with their rod-ended stuff. A lot of these people that run them have loud exhausts, which would certainly muffle some of that.

Rod ends are great for corner carving...they don't bind when they move side to side like a poly end would. Hell, even rubber is better than poly (like a 1LE control arm) for racing of this nature. For straight line performance, this doesn't really matter. Poly doesn't genearlly bind when you are moving it up and down, which is the only kinda movement it would see under drag racing conditions (unless you got really squirley or something, then that would be a separate issue).

Moral of the story: ask yourself what you do with the car, and where you want to go with it. A vast majority of the people with these cars do not road race, and that would be about the only reason I could see for going with a rod/rod component. On the streets, they are just too much. The ride with them is harsh, and they make noise, no matter what you hear from other people. Also find out what the people do with their car that are recommending certain parts. The people that recommend LG stuff are generally very serious into corner carving...LG makes some great components that are engineered to handle some very serious abuse. The vast majority of the people out there with f-bods though will never need anything that beefy. I would personally recommend CHEAPER parts (not CHEAP) for anyone that is just using it to tool around town, and takes an occassional trip to the track. You will be much, MUCH happier in the end IMO.

Steve
Old 09-27-2004, 10:39 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Maybe cheaper would have been more appropriate
I'd agree. It's all what you need. You obivously feel you need to absolute best for every part of the driving experience. You are entitled to that, though the majority will be more than satisfied with the more reasonable.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I just have a hard time believing that some people have "no rattling" with their rod-ended stuff. A lot of these people that run them have loud exhausts, which would certainly muffle some of that.
I run mine on the street with a Borla and a full block off plate. All exhaust goes through the muffler.

I too had a hard time believing it. I had been through BMR, Hotchkis and Spohn, all with noisy components.

I was talking with Lou concerning my disapointment with them and he guaranteed his didn't rattle ... money back if they did. I tried them and have had no need to look anywhere else since.

It's been my experience that if you hear them, there is something else going on.

Now, not sure he will offer that to anyone else, but he stands behind his products.

I'm a big believer in buying parts one time and not having to worry about it again. After buying speed parts for 30 years, one gets tired of spending money for the same part over and over.

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
On the streets, they are just too much. The ride with them is harsh, and they make noise, no matter what you hear from other people.

Steve
Steve, I'm curious why your assessment should carry so much more weight than other's opinion?

Enlighten us all on your racing lineage ...
Old 09-27-2004, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am perfectly satisfied with my BMR LCA's. I do plan on getting UMI products in the future though

-Todd

Quick Reply: BMR Vrs Spohn Vrs UMI