Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

eibach and stock shocks

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 06:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eibach and stock shocks

i bought the eibach pro kit and im getting the tomorrow well i took my car to just brakes to get a brake job i need to machine my rotors well i asked them about the springs they said that i couldnt just install the springs i needed to change the shock too is that true or can i just install the springs?
Old 11-04-2004, 06:56 PM
TECH Resident

If you install the Eibach Pro Kit with the OEM DeCarbons, the shocks aren't going to be "hard" enough for the new lower spring. You can get away with Eibachs and DeCarbons, but i think that most here and elsewhere would tell youthat you might as well do a decent shock and spring swap together. Like the Eibach Pro Kit and the Bilsteins. Hope this helps
Old 11-04-2004, 07:51 PM
On The Tree

I had the Pro Kit with the stock shocks.... No complaints.... I took the rears off and replaced them with the stock springs with a coil and a half cut off. Needed some extra clearence, LT's on the way....
Old 11-04-2004, 11:58 PM
Staging Lane

Its fine to install them without replacing the shocks.. The Stock ones would get worn out eventually.. but they all do no matter what.
Old 11-05-2004, 03:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

However, try and get a ride in a car with matched shocks and Eibach's. Then drive it. My point is it's 10x better with the right shocks vs. the stock ones. I drove and autox'd on the stock shocks, then went to Bilsteins revalved by Sam Strano for the spring rates in the Eibach's. Price was great. Anyway, that alone improved my autox abilities as well as daily drive for comfort. My $.02.
Old 11-05-2004, 03:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Viper
However, try and get a ride in a car with matched shocks and Eibach's. Then drive it. My point is it's 10x better with the right shocks vs. the stock ones. I drove and autox'd on the stock shocks, then went to Bilsteins revalved by Sam Strano for the spring rates in the Eibach's. Price was great. Anyway, that alone improved my autox abilities as well as daily drive for comfort. My $.02.
i agree. the stock shocks were not made for the lower spring rates.

get a nice set of shocks
Old 11-05-2004, 04:10 PM
Teching In

You can do it but you will probably end up installing shocks in the long run, so you can install the springs now and just wait, but if you have the cash just get the shocks now b/c we'll save on installation. doing them separate will cost more
Old 11-05-2004, 04:36 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there are a lot of guys with just the eibach springs, stock struts...you will be fine, schmidt519, "it's not the end of the world" if he doesn't...does that phrase ring a bell?...haha,
Old 11-05-2004, 04:44 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

I seriously doubt there is one person who after running better shocks would agree that the stock ones are "fine" with lowering springs. Hell, anyone who's driven better shocks with stock springs would agree the shocks are in dire need of improvement.

Here's the deal. Everyone agrees that the stock shocks will "wear out" and need changed anyway. A set of Bilstein's is $329. Labor to change just the fronts will run $150-200 easily at most shops. By doing shocks later, you are only paying to have the front shocks taken apart twice to do what really should have been done when the springs went on initially. False economy, not to mention the car is much nicer to drive, easier to control and better riding with good shocks on it.

And my tag-line (always saying it). Think about it, the shocks are SPRING DAMPERS. If you add spring rate, in this case over 27% of it in front and then take travel the shocks use to damp said spring away (because they are shorter), you need better damping. Kind of crazy to add spring rate, but not add spring damping rate. After all, that's the shocks job..........

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-05-2004, 05:39 PM
TECH Addict

Thank you, Sam. There is so much misinformation running around here, it's ridiculous.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

Stock shocks=bouncey bouncey