Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear tires angle problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear tires angle problems

I've had my car on jack stands for about a month, and finally got it back on the ground today (had to get some replacment tires, long story short I lost three rear tires in a week and got tired of losing rubber, so I got it home and threw it on stands until I got some more tires)

Well obviously the front tires need some air in them, but the rear tires concern me. It's not TOO noticable, but if you look at the car from the rear on the ground, you can see that the tire angle is off. Rather than being like this

| |

They are more like this

/ \

Now that is exagerating, they aren't THAT bad, but that's the angle they are looking now. Would that be a toe-in or toe-out? Either way, I want these these to be straight again, as the Camaro is receiving 315's as soon as the winter is over, and I don't want them to wear unevenly. 315 drag radials aren't cheap as you all know. Can I fix this myself? Adjustable panhard rod and adjustable lower control arms started the whole problem in the beginning, can they be used to fix it? Or can an alignment shop fix this? I plan on 12 bolting this thing in the Springtime, will a new rear fix it too? I don't want a brand new 12 bolt to be off like my current 10 bolt is
Old 11-13-2004, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe I'm not understanding you but it sounds like your axle tubes are bent.

Al
Old 11-13-2004, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

The tubes are fine, thankfully. I'm not sure which it is, but the rear tires are either at a toe-in or toe-out from what it seems. I drove the car around the block a few times, it drives in a straight line just fine, it turns just fine without wheel hopping or anything. After I got it back home it looks a LOT better, maybe it was just how it sat on the ground for the first time after it sat for so long on the stands *shrugs*
Old 11-14-2004, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dosnt sound to good to me bro. I am under the impression that you cannot adjust the way the rear tires sit without a lca relocation brackets. Did you happen to lower your car, but neglect to the the rlocation brackets? If not then I would think your rear is screwed up pretty bad. Because we have a standard rear (dont know the technical term) you cannot move the rim angle, like you can on an IRS. If it isnt the relocation brackets, then I dont know what to tell ya. I hope somone else has some input.

Fry
Old 11-15-2004, 11:50 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the tires are not parallel, you would have to have a bent axle housing. Are you sure about this? Measure the toe with a tape measure, don't trust just eye-balling it.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

And this is on a solid alxe, Camaro??? On a independant rear suspenstion car, I can see this, but not on a car with and axle . . . Something is fubard or the wheels are not sitting on the hubs right . . . .
Old 11-15-2004, 03:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Does it look something like this?

Ok, im a noob when it comes to suspension so dont make fun of me for this
But woudnt that be considered a negative camber? To my knowledege cars have thier wheels rotated in an outward possition for, in some cases better handling, or a different handling effect. From what ive read, the farther out your camber is on your rear the more the car will over steer. And the farther out it is in the front the more you will understeer.
Now i dont know if f-bodies are like that from the factory or not. Did you buy the car new? If not do you know if the previous owner did any mods to it?
Old 11-16-2004, 01:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what u describe with rear angle is called negative camber. not seen on a live rear axle only on a lowered independent rear, adj by fitting a caster camber kit.As was said previous for a live rear to have this "u need a bent housing."
Old 11-16-2004, 01:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Cal
If the tires are not parallel, you would have to have a bent axle housing. Are you sure about this? Measure the toe with a tape measure, don't trust just eye-balling it.
I was thinking the same thing. Your housing would almost have to be bent.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:02 AM
11 Second Club

Yeah, pretty much impossible unless its bent.

Brad
Old 11-18-2004, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Does it look something like this?

Ok, im a noob when it comes to suspension so dont make fun of me for this
But woudnt that be considered a negative camber? To my knowledege cars have thier wheels rotated in an outward possition for, in some cases better handling, or a different handling effect. From what ive read, the farther out your camber is on your rear the more the car will over steer. And the farther out it is in the front the more you will understeer.
Now i dont know if f-bodies are like that from the factory or not. Did you buy the car new? If not do you know if the previous owner did any mods to it?
Fortunatley, it doesn't look like that

I drove the car around the block and I did not have any sort of noise coming from the rear. When I got the car back in the garage it looked fine, I think it may have just been how the car sat after it was dropped back down on the ground after being up so long. It did come down quicker than normal, so I think that may have something to do with it. I'll go take a look, and if it doesn't look good still, I will take a picture
Old 11-29-2004, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Okay problem found. It's because the adjustable LCAs pushed one side of the rear end and made it sit funny. Rather than being perfectly like this: -------- The driver's side was pulled to the front of the car a little. No big deal, I'll have that sucker aligned right before Springtime

Thanks for the help though guys

Quick Reply: Rear tires angle problems