Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Dropping a motor out the bottom, need info on ABS lines...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 09:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Dropping a motor out the bottom, need info on ABS lines...

I'm helping drop a motor out the bottom of an LS1.

We need to disconnect the brake lines for the front left and right calipers from the ABS block.

Which ones are they that go to the front left and front right calipers?

Can I remove these and NOT having the MC run dry or have any issues, other than re-bleeding the system, like having to have a Tech 2 to turn the ABS valving back to operation?

Thanks.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why can't you remove the calipers from the abutment brackets and hang the calipers on the car, never breaching the brake system?

I'm curious if this can be done this way because I too am looking at pulling the car off the motor/K-Member ...
Old 11-21-2004, 11:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Why can't you remove the calipers from the abutment brackets and hang the calipers on the car, never breaching the brake system?

I'm curious if this can be done this way because I too am looking at pulling the car off the motor/K-Member ...
Hmmm, I may be able to do that. I never really considered it b/c everyone I had read just disconnected the lines either at the calipers or at the ABS block.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Disconnect the one marked "LF" (Left Front) and the one marked "RF" (Right Front) from the ABS.
Old 11-21-2004, 01:41 PM
9 Second Club

I have done it several times....you can follow the lines up to the abs block to see where they disconect. I didn't bleed mine though there was hardly any pedal the first few pumps. I have done this at least 4 times....after you drive a bit...you can go home and bleed it if ya like. I put rubber caps over my lines like the ones to block off vacuum tees.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mitchntx

Because the line that goes under/behind the steering rack/k-member, to cross over to the passenger side wheel, has to be disconnected in order for the k-member and engine to come out...

(unless you can get enough slack in it somehow to slide it far enough forward for the engine to clear it.)
Old 11-22-2004, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did a pressure bleed afterwards. I wanted to flush the fluid anyway.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by John_D.
Because the line that goes under/behind the steering rack/k-member, to cross over to the passenger side wheel, has to be disconnected in order for the k-member and engine to come out...

(unless you can get enough slack in it somehow to slide it far enough forward for the engine to clear it.)
Thanks, good info.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you have to remove engine to put a k member on the car? also what about front a-arms. i have heard some about the a-arms...are they worth it? sorry to rob the thread but seems like you got your info and saw another question about k members up higher. thanks.

Quick Reply: Dropping a motor out the bottom, need info on ABS lines...