Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Best 100% Bolt In Torque Arms?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 03:15 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Best 100% Bolt In Torque Arms?

WILL SOON LOWER MY '02 WITH NEW BILSTEINS; TRACTION IS HORRIBLE NOW, WHAT SHOULD I USE? I LIKE DOING MY OWN WORK AND A WELDER IS NOT AVAILABLE.

Last edited by FIREHAWK#608; 12-03-2004 at 04:08 PM. Reason: MORE INFO
Old 12-03-2004, 04:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hands down ... the LG Motorsports torque arm.

It bolts in using all the factory torque arm attaching points ...
Old 12-03-2004, 05:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, LG's TQ arm is awesome. Only downside is that it's non-adjustable for those wanting to set custom pinion angles with the TQ arm.
Old 12-03-2004, 05:32 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

With double adjustable or even single adjustable rear LCAs, can't you adjust the pinion angle through them?

I want to go with the LG torque arm, but need to be able to set pinion angle.
Also their TQ arm isn't able to be used on a 12 bolt is it? I can't remember if they had revised it.

Good thread...

Rob
Old 12-03-2004, 07:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Spohn is adjustable, heavy duty, can be ordered with front and rear loops, and fits like it came from the factory. I love mine.
Old 12-03-2004, 07:55 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6
With double adjustable or even single adjustable rear LCAs, can't you adjust the pinion angle through them?

Rob
Nope. That would only move the axle forward or backward.
Old 12-03-2004, 07:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6
Also their TQ arm isn't able to be used on a 12 bolt is it? I can't remember if they had revised it.
I believe I remember Lou mentioning a revised TA, but I'm not sure. I can tell you, though, that their old style TA will work with a 12-bolt. You'll just need to get a little creative with the angle grinder
Old 12-03-2004, 10:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

My LG TQ arm works on both the Moser 12 bolt and the stock 10 bolt.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:24 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Thanks fro all the replies! iI will have to look into the TA from LG, $500 shows that they are mighty proud of their products. I will search the parts forum and look for the "deal". I will do all my susp. mods here very soon and it's pretty cool to get tips when you need 'em.... Thanks again!
Old 12-06-2004, 09:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Did you not see this?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/244583-lg-motorsports-20-off-christmass-sale-g2-parts.html

The TQ arm is under $400 ...
Old 12-06-2004, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

When do you need to adjust pinion angle?

And I know the LG TA bolts in the same as stock. Is it the same size as stock? I mean, if someone had duals fabbed for the stock TA, could the LG be added later without having to mess with the duals? And finally, the way I understand it, Spohn's attaches to a different point allowing it to travel freely which is better. Can anyone explain the advantages/disadvantages of this?
Old 12-06-2004, 10:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by matts22
Is it the same size as stock? I mean, if someone had duals fabbed for the stock TA, could the LG be added later without having to mess with the duals?
Yes same basic demensions as stock
Old 12-06-2004, 10:57 PM
FormerVendor

The LG Arm has 2* of pinion angle built in, for those wanting a nice arm to just bolt it in, save 3#s, and enjoy the car- this is the arm
Old 12-06-2004, 10:58 PM
FormerVendor

I would like to add that it will clear any duals that clear the stock arm
Old 12-06-2004, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the response, it sounds like a great product. But what about my other questions. Why would one need an adjustable torque arm? And what are the advantages/disadvantages of a torque arm with a different attachment point such as Spohn.

I have heard good things about the LG TA, but if I am going to need an adjustable one or if one with a crossmember mounted attachment is better, I might have to consider all my options. So please explain. Thanks!
Old 12-07-2004, 06:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

My personal opinion only ... I don't want Mr. Steve Spohn to verbally abuse me again ...

Why would one need an adjustable torque arm?
I don't know ... it's hard on U-Joints and can cause driveline vibration

And what are the advantages/disadvantages of a torque arm with a different attachment point such as Spohn.
Advantage - straightline traction

Disadvantage - drilling, cuttin and/or welding on the car to get it mounted. There are also some serious ground clearance issues and in some case, increased noise.

And in practicality, MOST (not all) set an adjustable TA and never touch it again. And it's usually within a 1/2* of what the LG Arm already is ...
Old 12-07-2004, 07:53 AM
TECH Junkie

I can vouch for the clearance of duals with the LG. I'm running 3" duals with X-pipe and my LG TA clears just as well (actually slightly better in my case) than the stock TA.

Old 12-07-2004, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mitchntx
My personal opinion only ... I don't want Mr. Steve Spohn to verbally abuse me again ...

I don't know ... it's hard on U-Joints and can cause driveline vibration

Advantage - straightline traction

Disadvantage - drilling, cuttin and/or welding on the car to get it mounted. There are also some serious ground clearance issues and in some case, increased noise.

And in practicality, MOST (not all) set an adjustable TA and never touch it again. And it's usually within a 1/2* of what the LG Arm already is ...

Ok, thanks for the response. I understand what you are saying, but I am just trying to sort it out in my head. For one thing, Spohn's TA may lose ground clearance, but their website says it is a complete BOLT IN installation. I know I would probably never mess with pinion angle, but I guess I don't get why the LG TA costs twice as much as many adjustable ones. Sure, I may not need the adjustment, but shouldn't it not cost as much since it is not adjustable? Aside from the fact that it is probably a higher quality piece. Also, is there any added road noise with the LG TA? And I read that Lou said it was the best for RR/AX, but what about a daily driven/occasional drag raced car? Thanks for all the help so far guys.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:49 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, say I was to use this LG torque arm on my car, and say it is lowered about 1.5" all around and say that I'm also going to be doing a Strange 12 bolt at the same time. Would this 2 degree built in angle be enough to keep my driveline in line? If not, I'll just have to go with a Spohn unit...$400-500 is just too much to end up being a mistake.

Steve
Old 12-07-2004, 10:05 AM
FormerVendor

No mistake at all.

Tony- Goes by Nineball was going 1.49 60's with it in a six speed 2 year ago! Another customer went 1.43s with an auto. It works just fine at the drag strip, but it shines on the twisties.

As for fitting on the Moser you may have to grind the bracket it self. Every one is a little different. On top of that, we went to a thicker flange and now ask that all customers safety-wire their bolts that hold it to the diff. They are blind now, unlike the stock long bolts and have a good chance to back out.

They back out, torque arm gets loose and wallows/elongates the holes, and torque arms fail prematurely. Many have, its a common problem with the mosers if you do not check them. It is one of those things you just cannot bolt it on and forget it, they need to be tightened periodically

As far as the 1.5 drop goes, you will have no issues. My car was dropped 2" on a coilover kit. The race cars it was designed for were lowered 3". 1.5 is no issue.

Quick Reply: Best 100% Bolt In Torque Arms?