Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Alignment Done, Tie Rod Ends Not Long Enough?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 01:19 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Alignment Done, Tie Rod Ends Not Long Enough?

Got the alignment done today. With the alignment, Pro Kit, Bilstein HDs, polyurethane swaybar endlinks, and 1LE/WS6 32mm swaybar over the other stuff, the car handles like a dream. I'm VERY happy with my little budget suspension upgrade. Before I post the final alignment specs, the guy doing the alignment spent alot of time getting everything close for me, but he said something about having to adjust so much camber in that the tie rod ends are kind of short and it wouldn't hurt to get some longer ones if I could. What would cause this? Is it a serious problem and should I take it easy until I get this rectified? Or will I be OK?

Final Alignment Specs (Before, After):
Front Left
Camber: -0.1, now -1.7
Caster: 6.1, now 4.4
Toe: 00.44, now -0.02
SAI: 14.5, now 15.9
Included Angle: 14.4, now 14.2

Front Right
Camber: -0.4, now -1.5
Caster: 5.3, now 4.1
Toe: 0.54, now -0.02
SAI: 14.7, now 15.8
Included Angle: 14.2, now 14.2

Front Total
Cross Camber: 0.4, now -0.2
Cross Caster: 0.8, now 0.3
Cross SAI: -0.2, now 0.1
Total Toe: 0.10, now -0.05

Rear stayed the same basically...

Rear Left
Camber: now -0.4
Toe: now 0.38

Rear Right
Camber: now -0.1
Toe: now -0.33

Rear Total
Cross Camber: now -0.3
Total Toe: now 0.04
Thrust Angle: now 0.35
Everything look kosher? They said the thrust angle was off, which is basically the angle of the rear correct? Basically just tells me I need an adjustable torque arm correct? Any suggestions on a good one?
Old 12-04-2004, 05:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thrust angle is how much off square the rear diff is. One LCA is longer than the other, a relocation bracket was welded off just a tad, something like that ...

When you kick the bottoms out to gain all that camber, to gain correct toe, the tie rod is lengthened using the threads adjustments.

You are at negative 1.7/1.5 ... I am at negative 2.5 ... I haven't had a problem ...
Old 12-05-2004, 12:57 AM

LCAs are stock, relocation brackets are bolt-in pieces from BMR. Is my thrust angle way off or am I within the safe range? Could anything help fix this?

Thanks for the heads up on the tie rod issue. Seems like after this alignment the car handles much better, but I guess I'm paranoid and keep hearing things. Tonight I was driving, coming to a stop, and it sounded like some thinner metallic piece fell off the driver's side of the car from the suspension. Could have just been something I ran over or even the car next to me, who knows. I get paranoid after work has been done to the car until I drive it a bit and know that it'll be OK.
Old 12-05-2004, 01:04 AM
Teching In

Thrust is not off to bad. Easy fix with adjustable LCA, any alignment shop could correct TA during a standard 4-wheel alignment if the rear arms were adjustable.
Old 12-05-2004, 05:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by josh99ta
LCAs are stock, relocation brackets are bolt-in pieces from BMR. Is my thrust angle way off or am I within the safe range? Could anything help fix this?
I would guess the relocation brackets are not installed correctly. With the thrust angle off, the car will "crab" slightly
Old 12-06-2004, 09:48 PM

What exactly does "crab" mean? Just by the word, I'm guessing the rear might want to wiggle a little left to right (crabs walk sideways, right?) but thats really just a shot in the dark. LoL
Old 12-06-2004, 10:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

The back tires will not track behind the fronts. So, yes, the car will travel slightly sideways.

The real problem is the steering rack is not centered and the wheel is turned slightly to compensate for the "offset".
Old 12-09-2004, 03:50 PM
TECH Resident

My alignment shop was wary about the length of my tie rods too, but I've not found a solution yet and haven't encountered a problem... yet.
Old 02-13-2005, 04:58 PM
11 Second Club

i do alignments at work when they say not long enough did they mean the inner rod wasnt long enough for more wheel movement... or are they looking at the angle of the inner rod and saying the outter rod isnt long enough to sit evenly? when we lower our cars the inner tie rod end slant upward so it can connect to the outer and since the body of the car is lower the rack and pinion sits lower so the inner rod sits on a upward angle when its connected to the outer rod. You can correct this with a kit that BAER has it extends the stem length of the rod so it sits straight across from the rack to the wheel.

Last edited by SmokedOutZ28; 02-13-2005 at 05:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Alignment Done, Tie Rod Ends Not Long Enough?