Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Any drawback to SFC's?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 03:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any drawback to SFC's?

I'm considering boxed SFC's for my 2000 SS. As I understand it, SFC's reduce flexing of the chassis and unitized body, thereby preventing fitment problems such as T-tops leaks and dash rattles. But how do they affect handling and overall cabin noise? I believe the purpose of the front subframe/unit body design on F-bodies was to isolate the cabin from the engine and front end assembly, reducing noise and cabin vibration. Now that they will be connected, what can I expect in the area of driveability/handling/road noise? Thanks.
Old 12-16-2004, 03:53 PM

i didnt notice any noise with mine a dray back is ground clearance especially with the boxed
Old 12-16-2004, 04:02 PM
Launching!

You're right. SFC's reduces flexing of the chassis. They will not only help to cure t-top leaks and dash rattles, they will also allow the suspension to better do it's job of absorbing road irregularities and handling the weight transfers. The stiffer the body, the better the suspension will work, the better the car will hook and corner.

Only drawbacks I can see is the added weight and a *slight* lost of ground clearance (but if you have long tube headers, then thats not even an issue, any long tube headers will hang far lower than any SFC's).

I have SLP SFC's (welded AND bolted). Rattles have been reduced by at least 90% (my t-tops never leaked). I'm very happy with them!

Last edited by Blue Hawk; 12-16-2004 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the KBDD SFCs and I couldnt be more happier. One if my best MODs! If you are looking for ground clearence, better go with the SLP or Kenny Brown, dont go with the boxed
Old 12-16-2004, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dwhiteZ28
I believe the purpose of the front subframe/unit body design on F-bodies was to isolate the cabin from the engine and front end assembly, reducing noise and cabin vibration. Now that they will be connected, what can I expect in the area of driveability/handling/road noise? Thanks.
Try PM'ing trackbird or Darkage53, Those guys answered many questions of mine about SFC's, let me see if I can find that thread...

Here we go
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...9&page=1&pp=20
Its mainly the first page, hope that helps.

Last edited by psykoTa; 12-16-2004 at 11:25 PM.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by psykoTa
Try PM'ing trackbird or Darkage53, Those guys answered many questions of mine about SFC's, let me see if I can find that thread...

Here we go
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...9&page=1&pp=20
Its mainly the first page, hope that helps.
Thanks, the links were very helpful. You had the same Q's that I did..not sure why engineers didn't design a stiffer chassis to begin with and why they stayed with the front subframe design if it causes all these problems..
Old 12-17-2004, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got my sfc's installed today and as soon as I drove off, I could tell a huge difference. The ride feels very nice and firm, crossing train tracks doesn't shake the whole car anymore, and rattles and squeaks are gone.
I also threw the car harder than usual into a curve on the freeway and I was shocked at how well it maintained control. The only thing I regret at this moment is not having the sfc's when I first got the car.
SFC's are a must
Old 12-25-2004, 12:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

where did you get them installed 01superslow? i live in the bay area, not sure where u live?
Old 12-27-2004, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by white00ws6
where did you get them installed 01superslow? i live in the bay area, not sure where u live?
I got them installed in the city of Orange. Orange County.
Quite a drive from San Jose.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

The only draw-back I've found has been clearance. These cars should of had SFCs from the factory. I'm kicking myself for not putting a set on sooner...
Old 12-28-2004, 12:26 AM
12 Second Club

The only real drawback on a non-lowered car is going to be the added weight. Tube style weld ins are the lightest and boxed, diamond setups(SLP/KBDD) are the heaviest.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:35 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

SFCs are a very necessary thing especially if you're gonna beat on the car any at all.
Old 12-28-2004, 04:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

sfc's ride rough. especially if you have aftermarket shocks/springs that are rough already. due to the rough ride (not necessarily the subframes), my car rattles more than stock and is quite bumpy. i wouldn't blame it on the SFC's particularly, but i don't think everyone gets the perfect results with SFC's that a lot of people post about. i know it definitely helps the ripples in quarter panels, but if you have a newish car and don't plan to keep it long OR you have an old car with ripples in the quarter panels already, is it really worth sacraficing the semi-smooth ride? if you have stock suspension, it'd be a good mod; otherwise, with stiffer aftermarket stuff, i don't know how worthwhile it would really be. and if you aren't into serious suspension-dependent racing, once again, how necessary a mod is it?
Old 12-28-2004, 10:46 AM
Staging Lane

It's a night and day difference between subframes and no subframes. I've got SFCs on my 85 and it's stiff as a board, with no rattles, even though it rattled before. Cornering is great and the SFCs compliment my *incredibly stiff* suspension. My 94 has none, with practically the same suspension set-up and I regret not getting them.

I'm putting BMR tubular SFCs on my 99 as soon as possible. The tubular ones are better on clearance, yet are still strong. Don't go bolt-on, just get the welds. Bolt-ons you have to adjust too often.

I really think it's one of the best mods anyone could do to their Fbod. I even think it's more important than a set of pipes in the long run.
Old 12-29-2004, 12:49 PM
Staging Lane

Lost ground clearance here... There's good and bad that goes along with the SFC becoming the lowest point on the vehicle, I guess. When you do scrape, you know what's scraping... but... nothing would normally be scraping without them anyway, so... Oh well.

Also, on my convertible, the roof hasn't seemed to close perfectly since I got mine installed.. Call me crazy, but it kinda bugs the hell out of me because now I get little areas where the weather stripping isn't meeting the windows... ugh..

On the upside: I love mine -- it significantly!! increased rigidity.. much more confident going into corners now. I'd do it again.
Old 12-31-2004, 01:32 PM
12 Second Club

Mevin, how were your SFC's installed? On a "ramp" lift, or a point lift? Or on the ground?
Old 12-31-2004, 02:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by black_z
Mevin, how were your SFC's installed? On a "ramp" lift, or a point lift? Or on the ground?
Not sure, had it done during front end accident repair at the autobody shop... Off topic, I guess, but say it were done improperly? Could I have them 'unwelded' and put on again correctly? Just wondering.. the car feels great, just those little air noises on the highway.. ugh...
Old 12-31-2004, 03:29 PM
12 Second Club

Well I know your supposed to have the car on a ramp setup so the car is "stressed" the same as it would be sitting on the ground, or driving down the road. The SFC's could screw things up if they were installed on a point style lift.

Quick Reply: Any drawback to SFC's?