Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Thinking of doing the hose mod but have a few ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thinking of doing the hose mod but have a few ?'s

Tomorrow I'm going to be doing a little work on the rear suspension of my 01 z28 (weather pending). I'm pretty sure I need new rear shocks. I have the stock ones with 47k miles. When I go slowly over speed bumps, the front is pretty smooth, but the rear is about 2-3 times harsher. While I'm back there I figured I could put heater hose around the spring where it makes contact with the axle perch to eliminate some of the noises of the rear suspension. Also I thought about removing the rear spring isolator and replacing that with hose on the spring also. I read that this will lower the car about 1/2" and give a better ride? Not too long ago I bought non adjustable lca & pan bar. Do I need a new adjustable pan bar for just 1/2" drop?

Cliffs:
1. Going to do some rear suspension work.
2. Want to do 1/2" drop hose mod.
3. Would 1/2" of drop require an adjustable pan bar?
4. .......
5. Profit
Old 12-17-2004, 11:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You should not need an adj PHR with only the 1/2" drop from the hose mod. Now if you add lowering springs then that is another story.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:51 AM
On The Tree

Thanks, I did a search and most people say no but one or two said you would need a adj pan bar. I didn't think it would be nessessary. I probably won't lower it any more than the hose mod since michigan roads are so crappy anyway.
Old 12-18-2004, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No Problem!

I needed an ADJ PHR when I dropped my car as my rear axle was off by over 3/4', but my car is slammed pretty good as I used lowering springs and did the hose mod to lower the rear another 1/2". The hose mod was necessary because I have staggered tire sizes and the car had too much rake for my tastes with just the springs.

And I know all about the Michigan roads as I have lived here all my life, but I soon realized that they are not all crap after driving my car on the Hot Rod Power Tour in Louisiana. After seeing more than one car with a broken shock from the interstate dips that day, and my kidneys hurting by late afternoon, I was glad to get back home to Mighigan at the end of the week. They sure don't have our famous Michigan potholes, but have roads that would rival the rollercoasters at Cedar Point.
Old 12-18-2004, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

I just got done doing the hose mod and putting in new shocks. Umm, I think I got unusual results. Before the mod, I could put three fingers loosly between the fender and the tire. Now, I can only fit two fingers snugly. And with some crude measureing of my fingers that comes to about 1" drop. Is this normal. The car drives fine, and I haven't measured the tires to see if one is sticking out farther, but is this more than others are getting with this mod?
Old 12-18-2004, 11:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think all cars are different and see a different amount of drop. I think 1/2" - 1" would be normal

When you did the heater hose mod did you have to loosen the swaybar ends? I havent done anything like that before and was thinking about doing it soon
Old 12-19-2004, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01 Red WS6
I think all cars are different and see a different amount of drop. I think 1/2" - 1" would be normal

When you did the heater hose mod did you have to loosen the swaybar ends? I havent done anything like that before and was thinking about doing it soon

I didn't loosen the sway bar just disconnect the lower shock bolt's and jack one side of the rear of car up at a time and pull the spring out and remove the inslulator and and put the hose on and then repeat on the other side .
Old 12-19-2004, 10:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by smokin' joe 00 ss
I didn't loosen the sway bar just disconnect the lower shock bolt's and jack one side of the rear of car up at a time and pull the spring out and remove the inslulator and and put the hose on and then repeat on the other side .

Thanks I bet I'll be doing it in a couple of weeks

Quick Reply: Thinking of doing the hose mod but have a few ?'s