Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Traction control kicking in...

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 07:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, I tried it and it worked!

I lifted the rear axle on a jack and watched the reflection in a window. If you put it in second and let out the clutch, the TCS will push the throttle back, if you stay off the gas, the wheels will spin down normally. If you get back on the throttle after the system pushed the throttle pedal back the first time, then the TCS system will kick back in again and actually slow the rear wheels. They slowed much quicker than when they just free wheeled to a stop. I'm sure the rear brakes where what had to be doing it. Both rotors on each side of them were uniformly warm. I would have to say the braking force was pretty small, maybe that was a limit of the motor stregnth or that the computer sensed the car was not in motion and therefore didn't use all the braking force that it could. Either way, the point is that the brakes did activate.

You were right TooSlow02, I'm glad I called you out on that instead of letting it slide. The whole point of these forums is to share information so that everyone can benefit.

Pretty much everyone else on these forums believed the brakes didn't activate on these cars. I'm going to have to set the record straight from now on.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Why not just push the button and turn off the POS..
Old 01-15-2005, 08:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by slt200mph
Why not just push the button and turn off the POS..
Did you read this thread? That's been discused to death.

Why do you call it a POS?
Old 01-15-2005, 11:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

I have no use for the traction control..each to his own..
Old 01-15-2005, 12:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

OK, I was under the impression you thought it worked too poorly in comparison to the vette system that you would rather have it turned off. That's how I and most poeple feel about it. If you have no use for it, then that's another story. I would suggest taking your TCS fuse out if you haven't already bought one of the SLP devices.

I'm working on an idea to get it to be smoother with less engine cut so that it will be less obtrusive. I really like the vette setup. You can't even tell it's working. If I could get the TCS in my TA to be that smooth, I might consider putting the fuse back in.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

In a F Body I turn off the traction control... and in a Corvette I switch it to Competitive Driving mode...(traction control off but the active handling still on)..I am old school...had all kinds of hot rods and muscle car from Hemis on down...never had it... still don't need it..
Old 01-15-2005, 09:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone has an opinion on traction control, but this thread was actually discussing how it worked. Like Jason said, we're just sharing information. Some people use it, and some don't. This thread might interest those that do use it. The system has its benefits in certain driving conditions. When you want to go fast it's useless. This point has been beaten to death.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Does lowering the values in the TCS Retard vs. RPM table reduce the aggresiveness of the TCS system allowing it to be more useable/less intrusive?
Old 01-17-2005, 10:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MelloYellow
Does lowering the values in the TCS Retard vs. RPM table reduce the aggresiveness of the TCS system allowing it to be more useable/less intrusive?
The overall abruptness in the TCS is when the throttle plate is suddenly yanked shut by the ASM. The system is programmed to overcome the driver's foot pressure, but all it does is close the throttle too fast and too far. The spark retard is the more seamless part of the intervention. Reducing the spark retard would make that part of the traction control event less effective, causing the throttle intervention to happen more often in situations were it normally isn't needed. The real benefit would be to find a way to program the ASM to back off the throttle more progressively like the motor-driven throttles do. This would soften the "hit" a TCS event causes.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TooSlow02
The real benefit would be to find a way to program the ASM to back off the throttle more progressively like the motor-driven throttles do. This would soften the "hit" a TCS event causes.
This reminds me of an idea I had a while back. I have a 6 speed with a lighter than stock flywheel and it can rev down quicker than normal. Sometimes during high speed upshifting I let a little too much off the throttle and it makes it not want to go smoothly into gear. Anyway, my idea was to add a small one way piston to the throttle body cam. It would let it open as fast as normal but cause it to close a little slower than normal. Maybe go from full throttle to full closed in 1.5 seconds instead of instantly. I never fully explored it as I didn't think it was worth all the trouble of making it.

Does it sound as if there is a down side for a device like this? The only thing close is if you quickly go from full throttle to brake, it might cause the engine to continue applying power for a second, but with a manual tranny, you would be pushing in the clutch as well. Maybe a device like this would have a positive effect on the TCS?

Or if you can think of a way to electronically soften the "hit" a TCS event causes, I would be all ears.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonWW
This reminds me of an idea I had a while back. I have a 6 speed with a lighter than stock flywheel and it can rev down quicker than normal. Sometimes during high speed upshifting I let a little too much off the throttle and it makes it not want to go smoothly into gear. Anyway, my idea was to add a small one way piston to the throttle body cam. It would let it open as fast as normal but cause it to close a little slower than normal. Maybe go from full throttle to full closed in 1.5 seconds instead of instantly. I never fully explored it as I didn't think it was worth all the trouble of making it.

Does it sound as if there is a down side for a device like this? The only thing close is if you quickly go from full throttle to brake, it might cause the engine to continue applying power for a second, but with a manual tranny, you would be pushing in the clutch as well. Maybe a device like this would have a positive effect on the TCS?

Or if you can think of a way to electronically soften the "hit" a TCS event causes, I would be all ears.
That will cause the RPM's to rise from a aborted launch when the clutch is pressed in due to loads being taken off from the drivetrain.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

OK, I'm not sure what you are talking about, but I can say I don't launch my car. I have 315 Nitto R's and a stock rear so I always roll from a stop. If I'm misinterpreting what you said, can you please explain it again?
Old 01-18-2005, 08:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JasonWW
OK, I'm not sure what you are talking about, but I can say I don't launch my car. I have 315 Nitto R's and a stock rear so I always roll from a stop. If I'm misinterpreting what you said, can you please explain it again?
Here's a example:

You're at a dragstrip, the third yellow lights up and you floor your gas and release the clutch at the same time. Someone about 200 ft up decides to be a idiot and jumps over the barrier onto the track surface, you release the gas and depress the clutch, with that "device" your talking about, it will take 1.5 sec to close the throttle from WOT. As soon you release the gas pedal and push in the clutch, you're taking the loads off the drivetrain and the RPM's will rise, if this happened near redline, the RPM will be in the red zone when you depress the clutch and it will be there at least for a 1/2 sec.
Just like you're hitting redline with the transmission in neutral, pretty easy to do.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

OK, that will absolutely never happen with me.

So I guess there would be no down side, but I'm still not sure it would help with the TCS.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Bump. Excellent thread. Should be a sticky.

Does anyone have any more info about this system?

Quick Reply: Traction control kicking in...