Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

my shock system is a little too hard for my liking. how do i get it to be smoother?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 07:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my shock system is a little too hard for my liking. how do i get it to be smoother?

hi, my shock system is just so stiff that every little bump i hit feels like a huge pot hole. it feels really violent if you will. it sounds like a bomb every time i hit a tiny bump. to the point that my interior just starts getting loose. any ideas on how i can get my ride to be a little smoother and at least decent? thanks guys.
have a good weekend
Old 02-16-2008, 07:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you still have the factory shocks, replace them. They suck, even if the car has low miles. I changed to adjustable koni's, single best mod I've ever done. Car rides about the same, but it got rid of all that float and body roll.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by AronZ28
If you still have the factory shocks, replace them. They suck, even if the car has low miles. I changed to adjustable koni's, single best mod I've ever done. Car rides about the same, but it got rid of all that float and body roll.
what do you mean by float and body roll? sorry...

how much for a set of koni's and how much do u think it would cost to have someone put em on for me? is it fairly easy to do on your own? i've never done shock work before,
thanks man
Old 02-16-2008, 08:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickstock98t/a
what do you mean by float and body roll? sorry...
You might not notice it right now, but the fbodies with decarbon shocks "float" quite a bit at higher speeds. As in you get a disconnected feel, I don't really know how else to describe it.
And the shocks don't lessen the body roll, they just control it better and how quickly the car rolls. Body roll is almost self explanatory, its how much the car leans when taking a corner.
Search the suspension section for Konis, everyone who has then agrees, the single best mod they have done.

how much for a set of koni's and how much do u think it would cost to have someone put em on for me? is it fairly easy to do on your own? i've never done shock work before,
thanks man
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...ID=0&ModelID=8

What do you have them set at, and do you have SFCs?
When I was on otherwise stock suspension with Konis the ride was 100% better, it was BMW like.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

$770! holy s! i'm just a student! is there a cheaper brand or option perhaps that u guys can recommend? i appreciate all the help. and btw is it bad how i'm riding right now? like are there any possibilities of some sort of damage to my car because of the hard as rock ride? its really annoying. especially how i have to slow down when i see a little road imperfection. it really just feels like i dont have any sort of suspension/shock system at all. i'm not even exaggerating at all.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
You might not notice it right now, but the fbodies with decarbon shocks "float" quite a bit at higher speeds. As in you get a disconnected feel, I don't really know how else to describe it.
And the shocks don't lessen the body roll, they just control it better and how quickly the car rolls. Body roll is almost self explanatory, its how much the car leans when taking a corner.
Search the suspension section for Konis, everyone who has then agrees, the single best mod they have done.

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...ID=0&ModelID=8

What do you have them set at, and do you have SFCs?
When I was on otherwise stock suspension with Konis the ride was 100% better, it was BMW like.
I have the fronts at 3/4 stiff, the rears just a little softer. Most of the roads I drive on are pretty good though. Good road=smooth ride, bad road=I feel all the bumps.

EDIT: Thanks for posting that good info, I was about to post the same link.

To the OP: What type of tires are you running, and how much air do you have in them??? Also, a fbody is a sports car, and a relatively simple one at that. Don't expect a Cadillac ride.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

no, i understand that sports cars have a bit more of a stiffer ride compared to other vehicles. and i'm not expecting a caddillac ride. but my car seriously feels like it doest have any shocks at all. like i really feel everything on the road. and when i hit a little imperfection, it hits hard. unless, theyre really suppose to feel that way then i'm okay. are they?
Old 02-16-2008, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Go ride around in another stock fbody to compare. My car has 16" wheels, so it might be a bit softer with the taller sidewall.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have heard great things about the konis. I made the mistake of using KYBs but I am going to start replacing them with konis.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

$770! holy s! i'm just a student! is there a cheaper brand or option perhaps that u guys can recommend? i appreciate all the help. and btw is it bad how i'm riding right now? like are there any possibilities of some sort of damage to my car because of the hard as rock ride? its really annoying. especially how i have to slow down when i see a little road imperfection. it really just feels like i dont have any sort of suspension/shock system at all. i'm not even exaggerating at all.
I'm a student too, so I feel your pain. Save up though, its worth it!
If bilstiens were not on national back order they could be a good alternative (the strano revalved ones).
Call up Sam from the site I posted, their number is on there and talk to him about it.

no, i understand that sports cars have a bit more of a stiffer ride compared to other vehicles. and i'm not expecting a caddillac ride. but my car seriously feels like it doest have any shocks at all. like i really feel everything on the road. and when i hit a little imperfection, it hits hard. unless, theyre really suppose to feel that way then i'm okay. are they?
Are you 100% sure your suspension is stock? How many miles does your car have?
They are definitly not supposed to feel that way.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

I have the fronts at 3/4 stiff, the rears just a little softer. Most of the roads I drive on are pretty good though. Good road=smooth ride, bad road=I feel all the bumps.
Sorry but what exactly is "3/4 stiff"?
How man sweeps from full hard?
try 4 sweeps from full hard front, and full soft in the rear.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Did anyone stop to think that maybe his stock decarbons just **** the bed?

Bilsteins are a cheaper option than Koni's
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=1254
Old 02-16-2008, 11:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

my car has 59k on the clock. im not sure if shes got stock shocks. i think its red or yellow. i cant remember. like AaronZ28 when i'm on a smooth road, the ride is smooth too. but when i hit a little bump, man its just too extreme.

Last edited by Nickstock98t/a; 02-16-2008 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

$382 for bilsteins. not too bad. anything one step cheaper maybe, though?
again, thanks for all the input guys.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

$382 for bilsteins. not too bad. anything one step cheaper maybe, though?
again, thanks for all the input guys.
Bilsteins are still unavailable. Im a student too... save that $$$ and get the Konis. If your going to spend money on the car, this is where you should spend it.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

my car has 59k on the clock. im not sure if shes got stock shocks. i think its red or yellow. i cant remember. like AaronZ28 when i'm on a smooth road, the ride is smooth too. but when i hit a little bump, man its just too extreme.
Go look under your car.
Stock decarbon shocks are orange/black.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:31 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Notice your car is riding worse as the miles go on? That's the shocks getting softer, not stiffer and the poorer control hurts the ride. "Soft" is not always the right answer for the best driving car. Neither is out of this world stiff. But I find it odd when folks don't realize the shocks lose damping with time and that equates to a more pounding ride quality. Honestly, most any shock you put on would help because the stock ones are so bad and have miles on them. The trick is what will they be like in general, and also down the road with miles...

Koni's rock and I think are the best thing for the car. Doesn't mean we can't use other things. I do use KYB AGX's and Tokico's from time to time as well when for whatever reason we can't use Koni's.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 02-16-2008, 04:09 PM
Teching In

how much do u think it would cost to have someone put em on for me? is it fairly easy to do on your own? i've never done shock work before

Here is the install http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ro/page_2.html or here http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=6

The fronts aren't too bad and the rears are easy. if you can do the install I have a set of front KYBs sitting in my garage. One of the rears was damaged. But don't pay someone to put these on they suck compared to the Konis. Work some extra hours during spring break and save up for the Konis they're worth it. 2nd best mod I've done. Only the built 4L60E with 9.5" 2800 rpm stall torque converter made a bigger difference.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:02 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Especially when they're worn, the stock DeCarbons have bad impact harshness coupled with looseness and floatiness - the worst of both worlds.

For ride quality, I think the Bilsteins are the nicest, but they're unavailable. Konis are harsher, but offer improved handling and are quite expensive.

I'd talk to Sam Strano about the KYB AGX's if I were you. They are reasonably priced. I've only experienced them on a V6 car, but it rode nice and very tight. I think you could set them up to where you'd be very happy with them.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Never heard it refered to as a "shock system" lol

Quick Reply: my shock system is a little too hard for my liking. how do i get it to be smoother?