Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Springs: Ride Height vs Traction.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 11:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Springs: Ride Height vs Traction.....

From what I can tell from reading around the forums, the more you lower a car.....the less traction it will have off-the-line. Is this always the case? I'm picking up my F-body this next week and would like to swap the suspension right away. I plan on racing the car moderately, but at the same time, I'd like it to have a nice lowered stance.

My question is, what would be the best spring/shock setup that will lower the car (nothing drastic, I don't want to slam it) AND help traction, even if in the smallest way? I'd prefer an even drop, or even a slight rake to it, but I definately don't want the rear to sag even a tad lower than the front. Considering that I will add all the other necessary drag components, what will fit me best?.....

Thanks a bunch.

-Jon
Old 01-01-2005, 10:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't speak for overall, but I've got Intrax lowering springs in my car (really low) and I cut abysmal 2.2 60's on street radials. I have a feeling I'd be in the 2.0x range with stock springs - we'll find out in April.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:52 PM
Staging Lane

You can keep your stock springs if you want to, and still get some lowering if you want.

What you can do is get Koni Single Adjustable struts in the front. They have an adjustable perch location for the spring, and you can lower it approx 1" fromt stock by using the lower perch.

In the rear you can use the same springs, but take out the rubber isolator that sits on the top of the spring and put some 5/8's heater hose around the top of the spring to keep the noise down.

It all depends on your budget and how much you are willing to spend.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

**** removing the rubber isloator, if you want an alternative method just cut your stock spring a little. i don't enjoy massive amounts of street noise at all.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:29 AM
10 Second Club

I run Hypercoil springs plus I lowered it about another 1/4" in the rear and alittle more in than that in the front on top of the 1 1/2" or so drop it gave me. So the car is pretty slammed and I can still cut 1.60s all day long at the track if I leave hard. The Hypercoils are proggresive rate springs so that probrably helps alot. My suspension set up consist of QA1 shocks front and rear, rod end LCAs & PHB, and relocation brackets. And of course I run a Nitto drag radial too and skinnies on the front at the track. I don't think Hypercoil springs are made anymore but you could call LG Motorsports to see if they have any kicking around or even look for a used set online.
Old 01-02-2005, 06:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
**** removing the rubber isloator, if you want an alternative method just cut your stock spring a little. i don't enjoy massive amounts of street noise at all.
I'm gonna have to disagree with this one. Have you ever cut a stock spring? How did it handle after that?
Old 01-03-2005, 12:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it makes a difference, this will be on an M6 car.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:30 AM
11 Second Club

My ride height is 26" front & 27" aft (ground to the highest part of the whl well). Front stock spring 1 1/2 coil's cut off, aft stock V6 springs (pre-97) without the isolater. I do have the KYB adjustable shock's & LCA relocator bracket. With nitto's my 60' was 1.78 & with MT radial's 1.63. The car rides nice.

Quick Reply: Springs: Ride Height vs Traction.....