Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Anyones Pro Kit lower there car to much?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 12:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyones Pro Kit lower there car to much?

I got the Pro Kit to lower the car about an inch or more and for better handling, well it lowered my car about 2.1inchs(in the back) 1.75( up front), and I check the part number its not the sport line kit it is the Pro Kit,

I dont mind the front in fact I like it, but the back is to low for me and with the 12 bolt the pumpkin hits the body all of the time, so is there a shim trick to put under the springs? they still have the factory rubber insulators so thats not why it to low, I just want to raise it up about 1/4-1/2 inch. Also I am putting a Spohn ajustable troque arm on this weekend so ajusting the pinion angle will that help this problem? any suggestions would help.

this is the back of the car

thanks
Old 01-12-2005, 12:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's probably your shocks. They can't properly dampen the springs, and will wear out quicker.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:43 AM
On The Tree

The shocks have only 20,000 miles on them, and the springs have been on there a month. But you think if I pu better shocks (meaning stiffer?) that would fix the problem.?
Old 01-12-2005, 08:54 AM
10 Second Club

I had the same problem(s) & I had already replaced my shocks.

My Fixes: You usually need to make a dent in the underside of the body where the torque arm mounts to 12 bolt & 9" rear ends. (BFH (big friggin hammer) or BAP (big-*** pry bar)) My big problem was my cats hitting speed bumps, so I raised it up about 1/2". I adjusted my front shock height (HAL QA1s) and inserted a 4" diameter Mr Gasket coil spring spacer between the 2nd & 3rd coil in the back. I tried other ways, but this is what worked best for me. Good luck!
Old 01-12-2005, 08:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Look on Summit's web site for spring isolators. They have some made by Energy Suspension I think. A lot of different sizes, this is what I used to bring the back up about 1/4". I also have a PM from another member who had some metal spacers made with dimensions. Let me know I can try and send them.

In the end I ditched the Prokit because of the lower than advertised ride height. This seems to be a common problem with the ProKit.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:42 PM
Teching In

I have the same problem with my eibachs, lowered the car about 1-3/4" - 2". What are spring isolators?
Old 01-12-2005, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

The rear of mine was too low. I initially ran the springs with the top rubber isolators off, but then realized I was about 1/8" off the rubber bumpers on each axle... So I put the isolators back on. The ride was still harsh, hitting the stops easily. (this was with new Koni SA's on all 4 corners by the way).

After the v8 swap, I just went ahead and put the stock rear springs back in. Rode much better. But I did take the isolators out again.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by John_D.
The rear of mine was too low. I initially ran the springs with the top rubber isolators off, but then realized I was about 1/8" off the rubber bumpers on each axle... So I put the isolators back on. The ride was still harsh, hitting the stops easily. (this was with new Koni SA's on all 4 corners by the way).

After the v8 swap, I just went ahead and put the stock rear springs back in. Rode much better. But I did take the isolators out again.
Is this the suspension that you had on your car at the Spring KYFBodies bash? When you still had the SCed V6?
Old 01-13-2005, 08:26 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That pic that you showed is the standard Pro-kit drop. It almost always ends up being more than they advertise. It has nothing to do with the shocks. Are you sure it is the pumpkin hitting? I would think it would contact the bumpstops before hitting that...perhaps it is the torque arm hitting the tunnel?
Old 01-13-2005, 01:26 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

I've got LG G2 springs and Eibach Pro Kits springs, and both lowered my car exactly the same distance, and I had stock shocks and then Bilstein HDs on with the G2 springs and only Bilstein HDs on with the Eibachs. Both springs lowered the front of my car 2" and the rear 2.5", but my car sat unusually high from the factory also.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

YUP. I hate my Eibachs . . .
Old 01-13-2005, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Josh2021
Is this the suspension that you had on your car at the Spring KYFBodies bash? When you still had the SCed V6?
Yep, I had the prokit all around then. I don't remember if I had the isolators in or out at that time though... I think I had put them back in.

(actually they weren't ever "totally" removed, I just cut the tops off of them...)

That way I still had the "seat" for the coil to sit in, with the rubber mating to the curve/angle of the spring tops.

It makes about 3/8" difference in vs. out.

When I put them back "in" I just glued and ziptied the cutoff piece back on to the rest of the isolater, then installed the springs again while the glue was setting up (but didn't drive it for 24 hours). The glue, with the pressure of the car, made a pretty good patch. When I took them back off later, it was a job to separate them again.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:16 AM
On The Tree

I am sure that it is the TA hitting the tunnel, I guess I will just deal with it for awhile, but something has to change, I looked on about 6 web sites that sell the Pro Kit and they all ranged from 1.2"-1.75" so.....

But the other thing is they feel bouncy in the back too, could that be the shocks?