Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Best Brake KIT?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005 | 12:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Best Brake KIT?

HI Folks
I tried searching for this but did not see it. I was looking at the Baer GT+ ($998) and the Wilwood Superlite ($1,298) brake kits for my 02 SS. they are both 13" inch rotors, the Baer is 4 pistons and the Wilwood is 6.

First are they both good brake kits? Does anybody want to recommend one over the other.
Thanks
Bill
Old 01-21-2005 | 12:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

What are you gonna do with the car? Show, drag, AX or RR?

BAER and WW are reputable kits. Don't overlook the StopTech kit ...
Old 01-21-2005 | 01:19 PM
TECH Veteran

You can do much better than those two, but NOT for the price. If you want a good brake kit for the money, get the STOPTECH kit. It is phenomenal. If you want the best, go either Brembo or Movit/Porsche.
Old 01-21-2005 | 01:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mitchntx
What are you gonna do with the car? Show, drag, AX or RR?

BAER and WW are reputable kits. Don't overlook the StopTech kit ...
High speed runs and Drag.
Old 01-21-2005 | 01:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bill's 02 Z-28 SS
High speed runs
I'd stay away from the superlight kits, then ... heat is NOT your friend ...
Old 01-21-2005 | 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

How bout the Porsche swap -- thats one of my favorites!
Old 01-21-2005 | 09:18 PM
TECH Addict

For instance .....
Old 01-21-2005 | 11:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bill's 02 Z-28 SS
HI Folks
I tried searching for this but did not see it. I was looking at the Baer GT+ ($998) and the Wilwood Superlite ($1,298) brake kits for my 02 SS. they are both 13" inch rotors, the Baer is 4 pistons and the Wilwood is 6.

First are they both good brake kits? Does anybody want to recommend one over the other.
Thanks
Bill
The Baer GT and GTP (GT+) kits come with 2-piston C5 front calipers. The cheapest 4 piston Baer system is the Pro, which is $2300-$2800 depending on where you buy it. The Wilwood Superlite 6 caliper actually has less total piston area than Wilwood's 4 piston Superlite, so it has less clamping force. Also, the Superlite line of calipers are not very rigid. I had pretty inconsistent braking with my Wilwood kit. I have since switched to a Baer 4-piston Alcon kit (I love Ebay). Like the Brembos, the Alcon calipers in Baer kits are some of the best calipers you can get (they make calipers up to 12-piston). But, like the Brembo kits, they're a little pricey. We use the StopTech kits on our Mini racecar fleet ("Mini racecar" sound funny, doesn't it?) and they perform very, very well. They're also priced around $1900 for the F-body kit, which is almost $1000 less than the Brembo GT or Baer Pro+. If you can spend a little more, I would definitely consider picking it up.
Old 01-22-2005 | 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

with my new quest of making an ORR event i have been reading up on brakes and the Porsche kit sounds like the best bang for the buck. Cheap, high quality rotors being a large factor in that. Who is making these kits nowdays?
Old 01-22-2005 | 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hi folks
thanks for the good advice - I believe I will go for the Stoptech brakes or maybe one of the other more expensive system. everything people has stated Stoptech is a good brake system. I tried to go cheap but in this case that is a bad idea.
Again
thanks
Bill
Old 01-22-2005 | 01:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've never heard of stoptech before. I have been looking at Baer and Wilwood. I don't want a brake system that's gonna fail though. How do I get the porsche brake kit. I'm about to switch to a 12 bolt rear how will that conflict.

I'm legitamately interested in doing the porsche upgrade.. How do I do so?
Old 01-22-2005 | 01:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you do a search on Porsche in this section you will find all the info you need to get started. The short answer is to either locate a used prospeed kit, or buy a Mov it kit. Also, there is a guy named steve-d who is looking to make f-bod porsche brake kits. He frequents trackbird's road race forum.
Old 01-22-2005 | 02:59 PM
TECH Addict

are there any big brake options that will fit a 15" srag wheel? I was looking at the aerospace race kit, it will fit the rim, and it wont brake the bank.

its a 4 piston caliper, but I dont know how much better it will stop than stock, does anyone know? I dont road race, and dont drive that much so will a race kit work?

also what else are my options?
thanks
ed
Old 01-22-2005 | 05:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Question

Originally Posted by DaveSchott
If you do a search on Porsche in this section you will find all the info you need to get started. The short answer is to either locate a used prospeed kit, or buy a Mov it kit. Also, there is a guy named steve-d who is looking to make f-bod porsche brake kits. He frequents trackbird's road race forum.
I'm definately interested. I do road race quite frequently.. it's my preferred choice of racing. So I need a brake kit that is tough and reliable. I have 18's in the back and I haven't ordered matching wheels up front yet.I was gonna get 17's for the front but if I neeed to go with 18's up front for a bigger brake system. No sweat. I can do it.

Where do I find these mov kits or what ever? Do they take a lot of fab?
Old 01-22-2005 | 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I purchased the Baer GT+ kit the day before new years on sale for $779.99.
It hasn't arrived yet so I have no first hand experience, but for that price it seemed like a good deal.
Old 01-22-2005 | 06:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by FAST LS1
I purchased the Baer GT+ kit the day before new years on sale for $779.99.
It hasn't arrived yet so I have no first hand experience, but for that price it seemed like a good deal.
Definately let me know how they turn out. It'd be nice to be able to slam the brakes at 100-150 and be able to actually stop.
Old 01-22-2005 | 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

This guy has them and seems to like them.

http://dennis.cz28.com/modifications.htm

Here's the thread where I looked into the Baer GT+ kit on fraxx.com

http://frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=3204&

fraxx.com has the best brake tech, so search around on it if your really interested in the best brakes.
Old 01-22-2005 | 06:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah I see that. Seems like he is quite pleased with it. I'm wondering how the Long Term effects are turning out for him. He bought it awhile ago. Once I get a brake system i don't wanna ever upgrade it again so I'm thinkin the best money can buy.
Old 01-23-2005 | 01:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by D3IMOS
I've never heard of stoptech before. I have been looking at Baer and Wilwood. I don't want a brake system that's gonna fail though. How do I get the porsche brake kit. I'm about to switch to a 12 bolt rear how will that conflict.

I'm legitamately interested in doing the porsche upgrade.. How do I do so?
I think LG uses the stoptech's on their world challenge car, correct me if im wrong. Also, the 12 bolt wont be a conflict for the brakes. Do not buy brakes for the rear, just the fronts are needed. The f-cars already have too much rear brake bias and the stock rear brakes are already enough, just get em powdercaoted to match the fronts.
Old 01-23-2005 | 01:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by stang killer
I think LG uses the stoptech's on their world challenge car, correct me if im wrong. Also, the 12 bolt wont be a conflict for the brakes. Do not buy brakes for the rear, just the fronts are needed. The f-cars already have too much rear brake bias and the stock rear brakes are already enough, just get em powdercaoted to match the fronts.
That's good to know. Thanks a bunch for the info.
I'm gonna chck out the LG and see if I can find a site for the stoptech but from my understanding LG doesn't even compare to the porsche kit does it?

Quick Reply: Best Brake KIT?