Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

final analysis: rod ends vs actual street manners

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 02:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do the stock BMR's come with? the car had the BMR LCA's and phb in it when I bought it and I can only assume they are unmodified...
Old 04-20-2005, 02:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KB99WS6
What do the stock BMR's come with? the car had the BMR LCA's and phb in it when I bought it and I can only assume they are unmodified...
It depends on which parts were put on your car. They sell rod ends, rubber and poly in different combos. Try looking here.
http://www.bmrfabrication.com/index.htm

Last edited by JasonWW; 04-20-2005 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:43 PM
On The Tree

I was having the same problem, trying to decide which way to go w/ lca's. I decided to put poly/rod combo arms on and although I haven't put many miles on it since, I didn't notice a difference b/w this combo and poly/poly combo.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:40 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Holy Thread Resurrection!!

I searched, and came to this thread. It's helped tremendously; A damn good thread, but I know damn good and well tech & opinions change a lot in 7yrs.

What's the general concensus now? I'm about to drop coin on "everything" Founders, and want to ensure I get the right parts.

I already have solid motor mounts and a poly trans mt. I love them. However, I also live in Louisiana. South Louisiana at that. I'm REALLY leaning towards rod/rod for everything. Is it really going to be that bad?
Old 06-04-2012, 04:43 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I have a different setup in the rear now that I did a few years ago.

I now have roto-joints from UMI on both ends of the LCAs & PHB.

You get the benefits of a rod-end with less harshness.

If you are considering rod-ends and drive on the street, I'd recommend roto-joints instead.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:54 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Thanks VIP, I was considering that.... but the pocket book didn't agree. I wish someone local to me had rod ends, that way I could feel what they are actually like.

Founders, to my knowledge, doesn't offer their swivel joint in an adjustable set-up. Haven't heard a lot about it yet though, adjustable or otherwise.

For the PHB I should be fine with a rod/rod I would think.....
Old 06-04-2012, 04:59 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

On my car, the rod-ends didn't last all that long before they loosened up and rattled. I've been running on roto-joints for longer and they are still tight. Plus roto-joints are adjustable to tighten them up when they do loosen, unlike rod-ends.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:03 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Roto's really are the best of both worlds. They work just like a rod end yet still offer a great degree of longevity combined with damping qualities.

Ramey
Old 06-04-2012, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

My '02 SS is lowered & daily-driven. The rear is a Strange 12-bolt with rod-ended torque arm, rod-ended PHB, fixed LCA's, Air-Ride assist air bags. Front is tubular K-member with rod-ended LCA's. Hurst aftermarket shifter get's rid of the rubber there too. Under the car are k-type SFC's. With the cam & open exhaust there's not a lot you don't hear or feel.
Adding the K-member caused the most harshness. I would rather call the car crisp, but when crossing a sharp edge like an expansion joint there's a noticeable "clip" in the bump, not noticeable on dips or less edgy impacts. Anyone have a fix to keep the rear view mirror in position?
Old 06-04-2012, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Any bump, big or small, a really loud banging sound comes from the rear like something is loose
Sure it's not the exhaust hitting the axle?
Old 06-08-2012, 02:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlos01SS
I have factory LCA's with factory rubber bushings, rear suspension-wise I had the car lowered with 150lb springs & GC adjustment setup, also LGM G2 adjustable rod end PHR, no noticable road noise whatsoever, but then again I've only had them on since 10/04...

After reading this thread I'm going to Napa & buy that graphite lubricant spray and lube the rod-ends.

So eight years later I still have the LGM G2 adjustable rod end PHR and still no noticible road noise, I actually wiped them down and sprayed the graphite lubricant spray only 3 times since this original quote of mine and I don't have any play on the rod ends yet, they're the original rod ends that came with the PHR so longevity-wise they're still in great shape, go figure.
I'm pretty sure back in 10/2004 I had about 35K miles on my car and now I'm at 95K miles, so as far as I'm concerned that was a great buy.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had poly end for eveything in the back. I recently switched to poly rod combo lcas. On the same ramp i drive off of every week, coming around, the back would skip when i hit a particular bump. Now the rear just rolls over nicely
Old 06-08-2012, 03:33 PM
The Scammer Hammer

This is all good info. Thanks guys. I know for SURE I won't get poly/poly. Just undecided on rod/rod or poly/rod
Old 06-12-2012, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

The roto-joints would make me reconsider trying the LCA's that had rod ends. I still have them somewhere at my dad's house. I never had any problems with noise on the PHB with rod ends, and drove the car daily up until about two years ago.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:40 PM
Launching!

I used all poly ended parts in the rear of my car except for the BMR extreme anti-sway bar. That has the spherical rod joints. Like everyone else, I can hear them click a lot when cruising at 35-40 mph and less. Once you are at highway speeds or in the throttle and loading the rear, you dont even notice them. They do feel great. Im planning on keeping the lower ones and swapping in a poly rod end on the tops to eliminate some of the clicking on the brackets. Should still handle well with the poly. It all depends on how much those little clickety clack sounds drive you crazy. Some people dont mind, and for others it makes them want to run around and punch babies.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ive had the Founders poly/rod phb for over a year - holds its adjustment and hasnt made a sound. I posted a while back that the rod end was making noise but it turned out to be the exhaust heat shield clanking against my huge 30-series Flowmaster muffler...

Quick Reply: final analysis: rod ends vs actual street manners