Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

final analysis: rod ends vs actual street manners

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 02:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default final analysis: rod ends vs actual street manners

I've been searching around and found some good info on this but cant seem to finalize it. My issue is the actual street manners of rod ends, respectively their road noise "capabilities" when compared to other setup like all poly or poly/rod. Also, since the suspension is now loaded on metal, the rod ends, will the ride be harsher? (if thats a word.. ) when compared to poly..etc.

What im trying to gather from ya'll is info that might help me make my final desicion. All rod end parts (torque arm, lca, phb) or a combination or poly/rod to avoid some road noise if any. I know it is all based on one owns personally views and likes but im not big on drag for starters and i like to turn fast, not just go fast in a straight line. Also, this is my daily driver, not changing soon, and i have some general concerns before i make another mistake......(read sig!! ) I dont mind a race oriented feel but not all-out road course setup!! Need some absortion.....

So wat do ya'll think? Any help, negative/positive will be much appreciated....... maybe this could be turned into a sticky so future gearhedz could red this prior to posting....well, just like im posting right now......

laterZ
Old 01-30-2005, 05:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Noone here can make that call for you. Like you said ...

it is all based on one owns personally views and likes
Solid mounts, in any application, will give you more noise and vibration. How much is too much?

How much salt is too much salt on fries? How much cream is too much cream in coffee? How much beer is too much beer?
Old 01-30-2005, 08:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What he ^ said when I put my rod-ended lca's and phb bar on, quite honestly I didn't notice the differance in road noise, harshness etc. at all ? I know that there must be more, but to me it didn't sound any differant ? I have noticed that on certain choppy parts of the freeway when the traffic is stop and go and my windows are down that I can hear the rod ends making noise over the "clip clop" lips of degraded pavement. Other than that the only differances I feel are positive ones, such as no more high speed wiggle, especially under 120+ mph braking situations. And just that sensation that it's more connected to the road.

I'm sure someone else will tell you that the noise was so bad they had to take their rod-ended components off the car, but to me this is how it seems ?
Old 01-30-2005, 08:48 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mitchntx
How much beer is too much beer?
I'm still working on this one .... I'll get back with you
Old 01-30-2005, 11:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by mitchntx
How much beer is too much beer?

no such thing
Old 01-30-2005, 03:19 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm
no such thing
There is if you hate the taste of beer.
We are getting off track. I am intereted in this rod-end question too. I am also interested in their durability/longevity since I drive my car all-year 'round, including in New England winters (snow/ice/salt).
Old 01-30-2005, 03:49 PM
TECH Junkie

ive got double rodend lca's (from wolfe racecraft)

VERY noisy (clunks and ****) when going over crappy roads at low speeds. at cruising speeds smooth as silk. other than that they trasmit more vibes, both from the road and from the rearend.

i still like them, nothing turning up the radio wont fix
Old 01-30-2005, 04:29 PM
TECH Junkie

My experience is essentially the same as Racehead's. I've had stock components, poly, BMR poly/rubber, and LG rod ends and I've been hard-pressed to tell a difference between any of them with regard to noise. Now, with that said understand that my car is not a daily driver nor am I exceptionally picky or sensitive to noise. I would also add that not all rod ends are created equally. There have been sentiments posted here in the past with regard to quality rod ends - trackbird has some good info on this. I'd do a search or check out his website for more on rod end quality. With this in mind, I would recommend that if you do spring for rod ends that you stick with the highest quality version(s).
Old 01-30-2005, 11:14 PM
TECH Addict

thanks..............though too much beer is when you run-out of beer...

the rod end/rod end setup seems to be optimal while using quality parts like the qa1 rod ends. I read in the spohn site that they have a set of rode end (qa1) that are self lubricating, are those the same used by trckbird for example? Also, from wat i've gathered, these seem to be a good set to use. Are there any other rod ends that i should look at?

My personal issue to noise while riding is that i can get quite picky but im not driving a lincoln, i should expect some sport out of a sports car. i just wanted to see wat some of ya'll felt about your quality of ride when using rod end/rod end setups. Im not excepting for a particular statement that will make me choose my setup but some possible feedback about their setup.

Anyone else that might add any feedback......... Just wanted to see wat some of ya'll felt about your rod end setup while using them in the real world and when compared to the manufactural suggestions of these "race parts".
Old 01-31-2005, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

obZidian, I am interested also, I read trackbirds site, and I am looking at LCA's and a Pan Hard Rod for this year's mods . Much as I have learned the poly/rubber seem great compared to all poly . But I am not sure how good of a ride the rod ends will be compared to others (I assume rod-ends and Heim's are the same ??? )

I want improvement over stock, but do not want the harshness of race-commited parts (the Spohn TA comes to mind ) I guess what me and you need to figure out how far we are will ing to go, and what we will live with. I personally wont mind a little noise

Not sure if this helped you any , but goes to show you, there is more than one in this boat, namely me
Old 01-31-2005, 03:03 PM
Staging Lane

Default My experience with Rod ends

I've had rod ended LCA and PHB on my car for over a year now. First set was Badz and then LG. The LG parts are much beefier and nicer looking pieces, but in terms of noise they produce, seems the same. Both transmit more harshness into the cabin than the stock parts. With that said, I really like them when driving on smooth roads, the improvement in handling is awesome. The downside is, this is my daily driver and my commute is 100% city streets. So I find myself cursing the noise and trying to find alternate routes to work that have better pavement. In the end, the noise has gotten way to much for me. I'm installing LG poly/rod ended LCAs and PHB this satuday. I hope these are a good compromise.

Bob
Old 01-31-2005, 07:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mybluey
I've had rod ended LCA and PHB on my car for over a year now. First set was Badz and then LG. The LG parts are much beefier and nicer looking pieces, but in terms of noise they produce, seems the same. Both transmit more harshness into the cabin than the stock parts. With that said, I really like them when driving on smooth roads, the improvement in handling is awesome. The downside is, this is my daily driver and my commute is 100% city streets. So I find myself cursing the noise and trying to find alternate routes to work that have better pavement. In the end, the noise has gotten way to much for me. I'm installing LG poly/rod ended LCAs and PHB this satuday. I hope these are a good compromise.

Bob
Thanks, i really appreciate your feedback.

Your testimony and others seem to be the norm when concerning these kinds of upgrades. MY hesitation is that with all the mistakes ive had, i now want to do things the right way the first time and save as much money as possible. While only until you are knee deep in your own "shananagons", is when some of us will/have'd learn/learned, im now try to avoid all costly irritations as much as possible.

I think, and i dont mind a little bit of noise, that a poly/rod combination might be the solution for me and the other members that have considered a rod end setup. OF course i speak for myself. Also, using a poly/rod setup will avoid most of the binding, while maintaining a little bit of street manners. I drive my ride about 200 miles a week, if not more and my tolerance for ride quality is pretty good, i liek a stiff "racecar", but sometimes i just wouldnt be in the mood to deal with a "tough", noisy ride while traveling down some of Miami's finest and most abundant streets around.

Is their anyone else that might add a comparsion about their exprience with a rod/rod setup and poly/rod?

MYbluey, could you keep us up to date with your swap?

thanks ya'll, maybe we can get enough info to get a sticky going?....
Old 01-31-2005, 08:27 PM
TECH Junkie

i lived in miami for 18 years and there roads are much better than tallahassee's

in my opinion the goods far outway the noise, especially in the roads in miami (if you live is medley/hialeah thats a different story, those roads are as bad as tallahassee)
Old 01-31-2005, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I went from stock LCA's and BHR to rod/rod LCA's & PHR by trackbird back to stock LCA's but kept the rod PHR.
First after reading this I'd only go rubber or rod ends, poly binds on LCA's and BHR's.
http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/1701/bushings.htm

Trackbird's LCA's and PHR are top notch and I would highly recommend his PHR. I felt no increased vibration or noise from it, and if you look at the above site you can kind of see why. The PHR is only locating the rear side to side so it doesn't have to take the pounding the LCA's do.
As far as PHR I'd go rod/rod on it no matter who you buy it from. Keeps the rear from getting upset in turns when the road gets rough.

LCA's I'd say are a toss up.
I took my rod/rod LCA's off because the vibration and noise in freezing weather going to/from work everyday became annoying. In the warmer weather it's much less noticable, and almost completely nonexistant on smooth roads.
When I swapped back to the stock LCA's I drove around on the rod/rod's a little that day, then swapped the stockers back in. The ride was greatly improved as far as noise/vibration and the loss in "sharpness" was so small it was worth the comfort to me.
If I go to the dragstip or autocross I might toss the rod/rod LCA's back on, but I just don't see a huge benefit unless you need the strength for cutting 1.5 sec 60' times, or your actually on sticky tires autocrossing/road racing.

I'll probably put them back on to try them out again after I do wheels, tires, springs, shocks, and LCA relocation brackets. All of which is sitting in my basement or on it's way.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm
i lived in miami for 18 years and there roads are much better than tallahassee's

in my opinion the goods far outway the noise, especially in the roads in miami (if you live is medley/hialeah thats a different story, those roads are as bad as tallahassee)
true, ive been to tally a few times and yeah, there like hialeah....

but i drive every morning to downtown miami, and parts of south miami and kendall. Where only until a few weeks ago the construction on 8th street was complited and the 127 to 147 block from bird to kendall drive still suck......well not all but still... Also, 195 north in bwteen the "beach" exit and 395, the road is "cut" in a way that mkes the car swipe form side to side...quit unsettling when going over 100mph. Im not sayint that all of miami is bad but my daily commute does see some frequent uneven roads..........Thus my concerns about an all out "race" suspension. Even though i'll more than likely enjoy the way the ride handles when im avoiding the potholes and dips in downtown. And the bums of course......
Old 01-31-2005, 09:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FAST LS1
I went from stock LCA's and BHR to rod/rod LCA's & PHR by trackbird back to stock LCA's but kept the rod PHR.
First after reading this I'd only go rubber or rod ends, poly binds on LCA's and BHR's.
http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/1701/bushings.htm

Trackbird's LCA's and PHR are top notch and I would highly recommend his PHR. I felt no increased vibration or noise from it, and if you look at the above site you can kind of see why. The PHR is only locating the rear side to side so it doesn't have to take the pounding the LCA's do.
As far as PHR I'd go rod/rod on it no matter who you buy it from. Keeps the rear from getting upset in turns when the road gets rough.

LCA's I'd say are a toss up.
I took my rod/rod LCA's off because the vibration and noise in freezing weather going to/from work everyday became annoying. In the warmer weather it's much less noticable, and almost completely nonexistant on smooth roads.
When I swapped back to the stock LCA's I drove around on the rod/rod's a little that day, then swapped the stockers back in. The ride was greatly improved as far as noise/vibration and the loss in "sharpness" was so small it was worth the comfort to me.
If I go to the dragstip or autocross I might toss the rod/rod LCA's back on, but I just don't see a huge benefit unless you need the strength for cutting 1.5 sec 60' times, or your actually on sticky tires autocrossing/road racing.

I'll probably put them back on to try them out again after I do wheels, tires, springs, shocks, and LCA relocation brackets. All of which is sitting in my basement or on it's way.
thanks,
wat about rod/poly? Are the poly bushings noisier than rods? That is something ive heard before when reading through threads and i can only think that the material itself is wats cuasing the sqeaks in the poly.

Also, form wat your saying, the new lca werent that much of an improvement when compared to stock while in non-all-out racing applications?
Old 01-31-2005, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by obZidian
thanks,
wat about rod/poly? Are the poly bushings noisier than rods? That is something ive heard before when reading through threads and i can only think that the material itself is wats cuasing the sqeaks in the poly.
I can't comment since I've never personally tried any poly LCA's.

Originally Posted by obZidian
Also, form wat your saying, the new lca werent that much of an improvement when compared to stock while in non-all-out racing applications?
Right,
In normal driving the only difference I could feel was the increased vibration and noise.
It wasn't a huge increase, but enough to be annoying on a daily commute to me.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:24 PM
Teching In

I think you may be happier with poly or rubber ends. If you're concerned about transfering noise, rod ends no matter which brand you choose is not a good choice as they will transmit vibrations much easier.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:42 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by VIP1
There is if you hate the taste of beer.

Now you're just trying to make me mad.............Hank Hill quote! that was a funny. but i too don't like beer. never have.

i noticed a huge difference just going with a BMR rear anti-roll bar. i had other BMR stuff, but not the rod ends. as soon as i took it for my first drive......WOW! there was a huge difference. and when i went back to stock to get ready to sell it, i couldn't believe the difference again. it was beautiful. but if i was keeping the car and was going to the track ofter, i'd still have it on the car. after a while, you do get somewhat use to it, but your wife won't if you're married. another funny. lol. don't have a clue why i'm saying funny! anyway, hope that helps.

later,
Dave
Old 02-01-2005, 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

in a way, yes that helps.......thanks man!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: final analysis: rod ends vs actual street manners