Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What mod to plant rear better on takeoff and around corners?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 02:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What mod to plant rear better on takeoff and around corners?

What would be the bets mod for planting the rear on takeoff and making the rear less "squirrely" around corners. My front-end feels great, but the rear always feels like it wants to come around on me. Would a drag rear sway bar work out for both of these? Should it be paired with a larger front bar? Thanks in advance!
Old 02-19-2005, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

editing -VVVVV- sorry for the repost.
Old 02-19-2005, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just bought a pair of shocks -bilestein- for the rear end, hopeing to get ride of wheel hop. Maybe try shocks and new springs, I talked to a guy at a muffler shop who races cars in the demolitions durby and we talked a bit and he said to stiff a rear end and you can lose control of your car takeing a turn.
Old 02-19-2005, 10:43 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah...the more I read, the more I hear people say that. I don't understand...if a stronger rear sway bar helps keep both wheels planted, but causes your rear to come around, how is that better? Is this one of those areas where you have to do everything in moderation or something?
Old 02-19-2005, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

when you have a stronger sway in the rear the suspension is not as forgiving. you can take it to a certain point and then WIPEOUT. with a stock sway the car is very forgiving. that is what i understand.
Old 02-20-2005, 07:54 AM
TECH Junkie

the stiffer sway bar in the rear keep both wheels planted flat on the deck. which is good for the track, since youre only going in a straight line. but, on a road course or just a nice twisty road, you dont want a rear thats setup like that. you need a little 'flex' to keep both wheels planted on the pavement. with a drag sway bar or something similar, youre rear will be too stiff for that, and when you go through the twisties, since there isnt as much 'flex' one of the wheels will not be as planted as the other, and your *** will slid out from under you.

go out one day with a buddy, and start going through some turns. you drive behind him and watch his car as he goes through the turns. you will see.
Old 02-26-2005, 03:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Difference between turn and burn. 32-35mm front bar & 19-22mm rear bar for handling, or 25+mm rear bar for straight-line acceleration. Need to try a couple different rear bars to see what your compromise would be.

You could consider a Torsen T2R racemaster differential as well. It'll help accelerate out of corners better. If you have stock shocks, dump them for Bilsteins or Koni SA's for better dampening.

Hmm, wouldn't !MAFless mean you still have the MAF?
Old 02-26-2005, 05:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Another_User
Yeah...the more I read, the more I hear people say that. I don't understand...if a stronger rear sway bar helps keep both wheels planted, but causes your rear to come around, how is that better? Is this one of those areas where you have to do everything in moderation or something?
You are talking about two different setups, circuit and drags. you will have to do changes to suspension ie: 90-10/ 10-90 shocks, swaybars,springs. Some street driven cars on the circuit even remove rear s/bar.

Quick Reply: What mod to plant rear better on takeoff and around corners?