Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Driving with a cage, will it change how the car daily drives?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Driving with a cage, will it change how the car daily drives?

Driving with a cage, will it change how the car daily drives? I assume it will feel stiff
Old 02-23-2005, 01:13 PM
10 Second Club

when i had my roll cage in my car it felt so much stiffer and there was less rattles, its kinda like having super subframe connectors. I would recommend putting one in even if your car is a daily driver.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Watch having a cage on the street. In a side impact (or rear, etc), your head could contact the tubing from that cage. This could turn a minor accident into a fatal wreck. The padding that is used is really designed for helmets and is typically hard enough to cause severe head trauma (meaning, just because it's "padded" it may not be safe). Just something to consider.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

Since I put mine in I notice the car is much stiffer overall and feels more like its one piece.

Brandon
Old 02-23-2005, 06:36 PM
Launching!

ive got a cage in my daily driver... no big deal... hell usually i dont even know its there... its a pain to get in the back seat though.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by trackbird
Watch having a cage on the street. In a side impact (or rear, etc), your head could contact the tubing from that cage. This could turn a minor accident into a fatal wreck. The padding that is used is really designed for helmets and is typically hard enough to cause severe head trauma (meaning, just because it's "padded" it may not be safe). Just something to consider.
Never thought of that.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont have a cage, have a Wolfe 6pt. roll bar. The swing out bars are good, can take the side bars out & then put them back in whne at the track. No back seat in my car so dont care about that, but if you do put a cage or bar in, that pretty much takes away the back seat access. Dont ever put a child in the back seat in a car that has a cage/bar in it. That cross bar is not a good thing for them (or anyone in the back) if theres any kind of accident.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

I had some guy go off about this same thing at a car race once. It makes perfect sense though. Your head inside of a helmet impacting the padding wont hurt ya much but your bare head smacking that foam wrapped metal isn't going to feel too good. Usually when someone gets hurt/killed in a wreck it's not from the impact of the car on a solid object but rather what their body impacts inside of the car. Cages are cool though.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this may be true...but on the flip side, a more rigid and stable chassis can also save your life if the wreck is big. it'll keep from metal just caving in around you and offer protection where there wouldnt be otherwise.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:50 AM
Launching!

Either dies from shards of metal sticking in you, or blunt trauma. Take your pick

If you get a cage that's probably something to think about, but not so much a roll bar.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TWINTURBORAMAIR
this may be true...but on the flip side, a more rigid and stable chassis can also save your life if the wreck is big. it'll keep from metal just caving in around you and offer protection where there wouldnt be otherwise.

It's a personal decision. I just wanted to add that to the discussion so everyone could consider it and make an informed decision. That's all.
Old 03-05-2005, 06:17 PM
9 Second Club

Driving with a roll bar/ cage in the car makes the car seem real rigid.Then you feel like driving a go cart.But I like it. I feel alot safer in my car with a 8 point roll bar driving around than I did without it.I dont see how your head will hit any bars in my car when your buckled up with a 5 point harness.I have aluminium seats with holes in them for seat belts on both sides of the car.I have to close my door before I buckle up cause I cant reach the door handle with the harness on when its wide open,so I dont think your head will hit anything when you can bearly move at all.
Old 03-05-2005, 07:03 PM
11 & 7 Second Clubs

I won't argue with any of these posts, but would like to add another perspective. I took a perfectly good '01 SS, added 900rwhp and made many mods such as a cage. The end result was a car that wasn't either a street car or race car but something in between. It didn't make a good race car and it made a worse street car, so I sold it and bought another SS that will remain a licensed street car with a functioning back seat and will not run fast enough to require a roll bar (11.49).

Message: Our cars are street cars and should remain as such. JMHO, of course.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jimm
Either dies from shards of metal sticking in you, or blunt trauma. Take your pick

If you get a cage that's probably something to think about, but not so much a roll bar.
I'll have the shards over here, thank!
Old 03-05-2005, 08:25 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by bickelfirebird
I won't argue with any of these posts, but would like to add another perspective. I took a perfectly good '01 SS, added 900rwhp and made many mods such as a cage. The end result was a car that wasn't either a street car or race car but something in between. It didn't make a good race car and it made a worse street car, so I sold it and bought another SS that will remain a licensed street car with a functioning back seat and will not run fast enough to require a roll bar (11.49).

I agree with you on the inbetween race and street car. Cause Im in those shoes right now and need to decide on what to really do with my car.Because Ive come to the conclusion that both isnt really possible for my pocket book.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

I guess thats one way of looking at it. You could also roll your car and the cage might very well save you. It could go either way.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by smokeum99ta
Driving with a roll bar/ cage in the car makes the car seem real rigid.Then you feel like driving a go cart.But I like it. I feel alot safer in my car with a 8 point roll bar driving around than I did without it.I dont see how your head will hit any bars in my car when your buckled up with a 5 point harness.I have aluminium seats with holes in them for seat belts on both sides of the car.I have to close my door before I buckle up cause I cant reach the door handle with the harness on when its wide open,so I dont think your head will hit anything when you can bearly move at all.

Seat belts will stretch (typically they can stretch 15-20%) in an accident. Just because you don't move normally, you may move in a hard hit. Also, if the seat bends, or the floor buckles, you may not be where you started (you may move closer to the cage, etc). I'm not telling you if you should run a cage or not, I just want everyone to consider all possibilities before jumping in. I crew for a road race team and have seen my share of track accidents. Sometimes there is not much damage, sometimes, the floor buckles, or the cage caves in enough that you could impact it (track users have helmets, so it's mostly a non-issue). It's amazing how much things stretch (like your neck) in a hard impact, so you have to leave more clearance than you think you need to really be safe.

Just consider all the options and then make your decision.

Above all, be safe!
Old 03-05-2005, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Seat belts will stretch (typically they can stretch 15-20%) in an accident. Just because you don't move normally, you may move in a hard hit. Also, if the seat bends, or the floor buckles, you may not be where you started (you may move closer to the cage, etc). I'm not telling you if you should run a cage or not, I just want everyone to consider all possibilities before jumping in. I crew for a road race team and have seen my share of track accidents. Sometimes there is not much damage, sometimes, the floor buckles, or the cage caves in enough that you could impact it (track users have helmets, so it's mostly a non-issue). It's amazing how much things stretch (like your neck) in a hard impact, so you have to leave more clearance than you think you need to really be safe.

Above all, be safe!
If you are in an accident in a regular car that would normally cave in a cage in a race car, then you are not going to get out of it regardless. Your argument doesnt hold much water. You'd be dead anyways in an accident that bad. I'd take my chances with a cage in the car in an accident like that. Either have a chance at living, or no chance at all....I think the choice is clear.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Above all, be safe!

Sometimes your the bug, sometimes your the windshield as well.... I say go with a cage only if your car is fast enough to require one to race, if not, don't worry about it. When it's your time to go, you will, if it's not your time, you won't with or without a cage.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:57 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bickelfirebird

I can identify with that.

A cage will stiffen the chassis a whole lot. But it ruins the pleasure of easy ingress and egress, unless you have swing outs.. Ya pretty much lose the back seat too.

Then ya soften up the front end and put skinny tires on. The you lose all semblance of handling.

Best off having a single purpose car, if you can.