Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni SA or Bilstein HD?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Koni SA or Bilstein HD?

I might be getting shocks. So help me out please.

The choice is between Koni SA or Bilstein HD's. Springs are stock and I'm not lowering the car.

I basically want better ride quality, and I plan to drag race the car occasionally in the future (so maybe the adjustability of the Konis would come in handy). But Bilstein are cheaper. I don't want QA1 or any other drag shock, because my main concern is how they are on the street. I will never roadrace or autox my car. But it sees a lot of highway miles from me driving back and forth to college.

So which do you think I should go with? Thanks!
Old 02-25-2005, 04:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Bilstein HD if money is a issue , IF not Koni are Koni .
Old 02-25-2005, 06:05 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the stock springs, the Bilsteins will do you quite nicely. If I had the money, I'd get Konis. I have Bilsteins, but if I had to do it over again, I would have gone with the Konis instead. That's just my personal preference.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Will the Konis ride better than the Bilsteins?

I have the money to spend, it's just a matter of "are they worth the money".

Plus the added aspect that I might take it to the track occasionally and could adjust the Koni's to be looser would be nice (not quite like a drag shock, but it might help some).
Old 02-25-2005, 08:15 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by matts22
Will the Konis ride better than the Bilsteins?

I have the money to spend, it's just a matter of "are they worth the money".

Plus the added aspect that I might take it to the track occasionally and could adjust the Koni's to be looser would be nice (not quite like a drag shock, but it might help some).
If you try running too much of a spring rate with the Bilsteins, they won't ride as nicely as a Koni, since they can damp higher spring rates. That being said, I run 400 lb/in fronts and 125 lb/in (both linear rates), and my Bilsteins damp them quite nicely, but I'd still like a little more damping so I can run some stiffer springs (500 front, 150 rear). My car definitely rides nice though for being lowered...
Old 02-25-2005, 08:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Blisteins will work fine with stock springs and they will feel better than the stock shocks. If you have the cash Koni SA's are really good and I think better than Blisteins. I hear that Koni will be increasing price soon so if you want to get them I would order them soon
Old 02-25-2005, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

I know, that's why I'm posting. I read on the "other" site that Bilsteins are going up in price 3/1 and Konis 4/1. So I've got to decide on if I should go ahead and get shocks (wan't planning on it) and if so, which ones.

I will almost assuredly stick with the stock springs. I have no interest in lowering the car. Does this make a difference?

From what you guys have said, it is basically a matter of "if i have the money, definitely go Koni". But are they really worth that much more money (double the price)? Does it benefit me (in my case) to have adjustability? If so, I'll probably get the Konis. Thanks so far guys.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:02 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Depends on what you want to do with the car...if you just want it to ride a little better, go with the Bilsteins. If you want to set it up to handle great, the Bilsteins will work, the Konis will work better. I wish you were closer and I'd take you for a ride in mine so you could see what the Bilsteins feel like...
Old 02-25-2005, 11:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I haven't driven both, but I have the Konis. So to some extent, this is spectuation and conjecture.

The Konis should ride softer than the Bilstiens because they are adjustable, and they are a lower pressure twin tube design. Back the Konis all the way to full soft, and it seems that they would have to be softer than Bilstiens HDs.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think some people have put Koni SA shocks in the front and Blistein HD in the rear with eibach pro-kit springs. Is this right? I assume it must be better then Blisteins all around and cheaper then Koni's on all four.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

I just ordered Koni SA's today
Old 02-25-2005, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01 Red WS6
I just ordered Koni SA's today
Same here and I'm going to run my Bilstein's out back and I also ordered a 35mm hollow front sway bar that will replace my 32mm BMR sway bar. Sam Strano helped out alot for the right setup for me it's great how he take's the time to talk to you and your driving style to come up with the best setup for your need's.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sam helped me out a lot too. I'm going to run the SA's all around with my BMR springs. Once the G2 springs are out I'll probably switch to those.
Old 02-26-2005, 02:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

So which do you think I should go with? Thanks!
For a daily driver with no autox or RR duty, I'd just get the Bilsteins. I believe the rebound is adjustable on the SA's but not compression. My question would be, how often will you find yourself twiddling with the rebound, and will you be able to drive under the conditions where it's easy to determine the correct rebound rate?

I don't believe the rebound range on the SA will gain you anything at the strip which couldn't be attributed to other variables.

If you think you may adjust the shocks once, maybe custom valved Bilsteins from Sam would be less expensive than Koni's. Talk to Sammy, he won't steer you wrong (no pun intended).
Old 02-26-2005, 02:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks. I want to call Sam, but I've got a guy that is willing to sell me Koni DA's (all 4) that are barely used for a really good price.

The catch is that the rears have been revalved and degassed to allow a softer setting. He says this is better for the track than regular Koni's. I think that this is the perfect setup for me (completely adjustable and the revalving would be good for when I take it to the track).

What do you guys think?

Has anyone heard of revalving Koni's?

Does anyone know anything about shocks that have been degassed?

I really need to let him know soon (might not even have time to call Strano next week--I probably need to make up my mind this weekend, preferably tomorrow). So ANYTHING you can tell me would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-26-2005, 02:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Post a message on the stranoparts.com forum. Sam gives honest advice even if he doesn't make a sale. Just keep him in mind for future purchases, as it's mostly a family business
Old 02-26-2005, 05:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks. I want to call Sam, but I've got a guy that is willing to sell me Koni DA's (all 4) that are barely used for a really good price.

The catch is that the rears have been revalved and degassed to allow a softer setting. He says this is better for the track than regular Koni's. I think that this is the perfect setup for me (completely adjustable and the revalving would be good for when I take it to the track).

What do you guys think?

Has anyone heard of revalving Koni's?

Does anyone know anything about shocks that have been degassed?

I really need to let him know soon (might not even have time to call Strano next week--I probably need to make up my mind this weekend, preferably tomorrow). So ANYTHING you can tell me would be much appreciated. Thanks!
I was talking with the same guy about the shock's and it is a good deal and I wasn't sure if the rear shock's would be right for my need's too, so after I talked with Sam I went in a different direction to get what I needed and I'm going to run my stock spring's too.
Old 02-26-2005, 10:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

I say call Sam and talk to him. He is more than willing to help you out.
Old 02-26-2005, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by smokin' joe 00 ss
I was talking with the same guy about the shock's and it is a good deal and I wasn't sure if the rear shock's would be right for my need's too, so after I talked with Sam I went in a different direction to get what I needed and I'm going to run my stock spring's too.

Hey smokin' joe 00 ss, I sent you a pm. Let me know what Sam said and why you went a different direction. Thanks!
Old 02-26-2005, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

T T T

Anyone know anything about degassing shocks?