Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

panhard bar= noise ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 08:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default panhard bar= noise ???

i bought this sphon adjustable p-bar w the two heim rods on the end , i tightened everything up and the bar is just banging around back there, and yes i did install the supplied spacers... thanks for any input...thanks
Old 03-15-2005, 09:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My rubber-end Hotchkiss makes noise too if the Panhard
mount bolts are not dogged down tight. The bolts are an
"axle" in a sloppy hole and like to ring the sheet metal.
Tight and I guess the scrub keeps it from making noise.
Dunno if this would help a rod-end (nor why a rod-end is
of any value on a piece that hardly moves, let alone
needing more than one axis of freedom). Anyway, maybe
you want to do something like make some sheet-rubber
washers or like that, to soak up some/all of the rattle?
Also check that the jam-nuts are dead tight as this also
made noise of its own, on my adjustable.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:59 PM
Launching!

thanks jimmy...sounds like i need to get back under there and do aome adjusting =)...
Old 03-15-2005, 11:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem, and it drove me nuts trying to find what the noise was. I installed washers and tightened the bolts down, but nothing helped. I tightened the bolts so much I ended up snapping them. As it turns out, the noise is actually my axles tapping back and forth against the c-clips. I guess my differential is on the loose side of the dreaded "production tolerances".
Old 03-17-2005, 02:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just put trackbird's PHB on my car and I've got no noise whatsoever. My only problem was a little rubbing from a bracket that was apparently mis-made at the factory. When you're under the car and everything's tightened down, can you shake the PHB and get it to rattle? If so, that should give you a clue as to where to start looking for your solution.

Jimmy> As to why you'd want multiple degrees of freedom on the PHB, just think about when you accelerate or deccelerate and the axle starts twisting under loading... that would bind rubber or poly ended PHBs... not only that, but when that situation occurs, forces are also being transmitted through the LCAs, lifting or lowering the body, and also moving the PHB vertically.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here are some pictures of where the frame was rubbing against the PHB. I dunno what happened at GM, but they musta fallen asleep when they were supposed to be makin sure all my pieces were made right. I totally forgot to mention... the other assistance heim joints add is that they're essentially a solid joint. They eliminate approximately 1" of bushing deflection in the primary functional axis of the PHB. The result is that the rear end feels so much more stable and well placed around any turns now. No flex, twist, bushing deflection, or wobble. Just solid.
Attached Thumbnails panhard bar= noise ???-picture-001_small.jpg   panhard bar= noise ???-picture-002_small.jpg   panhard bar= noise ???-picture-003_small.jpg  
Old 03-17-2005, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pimpmaro
Here are some pictures of where the frame was rubbing against the PHB. I dunno what happened at GM, but they musta fallen asleep when they were supposed to be makin sure all my pieces were made right. I totally forgot to mention... the other assistance heim joints add is that they're essentially a solid joint. They eliminate approximately 1" of bushing deflection in the primary functional axis of the PHB. The result is that the rear end feels so much more stable and well placed around any turns now. No flex, twist, bushing deflection, or wobble. Just solid.
Those pictures are very interesting, might explain alot of issues that people have
Old 03-17-2005, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

What issues? I actually haven't heard of that kind of rubbing problem before. Sorry I didn't think to take pics before I cut out that piece of the frame bracket though...
Old 03-17-2005, 10:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What issues? I actually haven't heard of that kind of rubbing problem before. Sorry I didn't think to take pics before I cut out that piece of the frame bracket though...

I think he was talking about the thumping/clunking that some have in the rear. I've not seen one rub there either (until now), but maybe I've never noticed it before. However, most complain about noise from the passengers side of the rear end, this is on the drivers side. But, that would transfer through the mount on the passengers side and could be "heard" in that corner. So it is something to look into.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah ok, that makes sense. For some reason my mind was thinking he was referring to some kind of fittment problem or more along those lines...
Old 03-19-2005, 02:46 PM
Launching!

hey everyone ive been gone for a couple days so im just gettin back to this...some helpful hints....right now it's raining so i cant get under the car but i do know that when it's parked i can grab part of the bar and twist it slightly to mimick the banging i notice during driving...i was thinking that maybe it has something to do with those heim joints????
Old 03-19-2005, 03:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah ok, that makes sense. For some reason my mind was thinking he was referring to some kind of fittment problem or more along those lines...
Nope

What trackbird said was dead on the money. I have never seen this before, but like TB said I never really look for it.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2w0s060
Nope

What trackbird said was dead on the money. I have never seen this before, but like TB said I never really look for it.
Alright... I'm on the right page now! Wouldn't it be something if that's the solution to the banging problem everyone has?

Originally Posted by 98 camaro
hey everyone ive been gone for a couple days so im just gettin back to this...some helpful hints....right now it's raining so i cant get under the car but i do know that when it's parked i can grab part of the bar and twist it slightly to mimick the banging i notice during driving...i was thinking that maybe it has something to do with those heim joints????
Well, just remember, the heim joints are what allow the bar to travel without binding... thus allowing the bar to twist around it's long axis if that's what you're referring to. I'd try a back and forth, up and down, or side to side shaking to see if it's loose.

Oh btw, just a last thought I had. If it's banging when you twist it back and forth, look carefully at the pictures I posted up earlier in this thread, you might be experiencing the same rubbing problem I had. My trouble spot was on the driver's side attachment bracket... on the upper front side of the mount. Let us know what you find out.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:17 PM
Banned

Same Here

Quick Reply: panhard bar= noise ???